Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Hi Guys!
    So I was thinkin.. why dont we spread the word to iPhone developers about how easy it is to port their games/apps to WebOS. I was thinking that if we could all email a few iPhone developers who we find make really good apps with something like

"Hi,
    Did you know that the popular iPhone game Angry Birds By Rovio Mobile was ported to webOS in less than four days? No really…it was! My name is (your name) and I find your (game/app) (name of game/app) really awesome! I was wondering if you had any interest in porting (name of game/app) to HP/Palm’s amazing operating system, webOS. WebOS is what many experts say is one of the best--if not the best--operating systems on the market today. Within a couple of months, HP and Palm will be releasing webOS 2. WebOS 2 adds a ton of functionality—like stacked windows for true multitasking, and Quicksilver for Mac-type searches of apps (neither of which is possible on iOS)--to an already great operating system. You can read the Engadget review of these new features at http://x.co/Jt0M. So enough of how awesome webOS is! Why on earth should you port to it when you already have the iPhone? Three reasons that you should port to webOS are that, there are really great developer tools to help you out, Palm was bought by HP, and MONEY!

Palm provides developers interested in porting to webOS not only an easy experience but also a quick one. Like I said earlier, the popular iPhone game Angry Birds was ported and tested in less than four days! One main tool that Palm provides to developers is the PDK. Simply put, it just makes porting and creating new 3D games and cool apps very easy for you. You can learn more about how easy porting is at http://x.co/Jt0R. There is really little downside when it comes to porting. If you have any questions about porting you can probably find the answers http://x.co/Jt0S.

On July 1st, 2010 HP bought Palm for 1.2 billion dollars. Palm is now a part of HP the world’s largest technology company. With HP’s proven success and scale, and Palm’s innovation, webOS is destined for tremendous growth. In fact, HP is pumping a lot of manpower into webOS because they know how successful it will be. At CES 2011 HP is expected to release a webOS tablet and one or more great phones that will definitely grow the user base of webOS, which leads me to my next point.

You have the potential to make a lot of money. It is completely free to join the developer program and have your app in the App Catalog. That, combined with the ease of porting equals high profit margins. Also, there is already a large paid-app user-base that uses webOS—an independent research company found that webOS users are far more likely to install paid apps than Android users. Moreover, after the new devices debut, there will be more and more users coming which means more and more app downloads. Finally, you will have far more exposure with webOS than by competing for limited user attention with 200,000 other apps. Go where the growth is!

Porting to webOS can be very rewarding. All I ask is for you to seriously consider it. But really, what do you have to lose?

Thanks!
    -Your name"

Developers That Have Already Been Emailed
    Avaloid
    awyse
    backflipstudios
    boltcreative
    Com2uS
    culturedcode
    Chillingo
    daredigital
    demiforce
    digipen
    Distinct Development
    Digital Goldfish
    dromsynt
    esgroup ca
    flipside5
    flukeduke
    Freeverse
    guzzle it
    igloo-games
    iHandysoft
    iliumsoft
    imangistudios
    labpixies
    limasky
    mobigame
    MobilityWare
    mobitech3000
    Newtoyinc
    Nimblebit
    occamygames
    onemanleft
    pixelcubestudios
    rocketcat-games
    semisecretssoftware
    sportstap
    teego
    themdev pl
    thundergameworks
    tigerstylegames
    Touchfoo
    RenderPaz Studios
    FutureGamesofLondon
    Deceased Pixel
    Maverick Software
    Traction Games
    BLUE
    oyatsukai
    Majic Jungle Software
    3D Magic
    Raptisoft
    Zach Golden
    Last edited by mfaye21; 11/21/2010 at 06:07 PM.
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Great idea!
    "half an hour"

I for one want to see a decent camera app so someone please port hipstamatic, camera+ or best camera over
    Great idea. Do we use iTunes to find the contacts? Is there an email list of top 100 iPhone games?

Can someone make a simple app, that would list the top iPhone applications (sorta like free ringtones app), and let you click on one to automatically send a message?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Great idea. Do we use iTunes to find the contacts? Is there an email list of top 100 iPhone games?

Can someone make a simple app, that would list the top iPhone applications (sorta like free ringtones app), and let you click on one to automatically send a message?
    ya, it tells you the website right next to the picture and there is usually either a contact form or a email address on the developers website.

Follow me on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Moved to first post.
    Last edited by mfaye21; 11/02/2010 at 09:51 AM.

Follow me on Twitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by mfaye21 View Post
    Hi Guys!
    So I was thinkin.. why dont we spread the word to iPhone developers about how easy it is to port their games/apps to WebOS. I was thinking that if we could all email a few iPhone developers who we find make really good apps with something like
    "Hi,
    My name is (your name) and I absolutely love WebOS. I am far from the only one though due to WebOS ranging across two devices over the three biggest networks in the U.S, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon. This is one of the reasons that you should consider porting your games over WebOS. Another, is the PDK that Palm supplies developers for developing new games and porting their existing games over. Some games have been able to be ported over in as little as a half over. This PDK can be found at Home - Palm Developer Center. The third and final reason is the money. Who doesn't like like money? On WebOS you have the opportunity to make a large profit due to there not being as many apps on WebOS.
    Thanks-
    (name)"
    we could really increase the number of ports to WebOS. Good idea?
    -mfaye21
    Hey, not just games, ok?

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    Hey, not just games, ok?
    defiantly not only games!

Follow me on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    We should probably keep track of what developers we email so we dont email one more than once.
    I think we should flood their inboxes so they get the idea that we exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by newman314 View Post
    "half an hour"

I for one want to see a decent camera app so someone please port hipstamatic, camera+ or best camera over
    This isnt possible in the current state of the PDK, to use the camera and other hardware devices of the Pre.

They are going to need to wait for the SDK+PDK combination that is coming out October.
    If Palm can't get their attention, (lord knows they have been throwing themselves at developers like... oh, never mind). Now you want to spam their inboxes with begging, whiny missives.

Stop, already! They know you're there. They also know the an iPad is sold every three seconds, and iPhone sales have been increasing, not decreasing. They know that millions of the next iPhone will be sold every month, and it still probably won't stay on the shelves. They know iAds have already have captured almost 50% of the mobile advertising market for the second half, and they will get 60% of the split from their free and low cost apps they make for the iPhone.

For these guys, Palm has to be looking more and more like a charity case than a business model. If they want to sell more iPhone apps, they can just make their apps free and grab a huge percent of that ad revenue. Just telling them that you are here and it is easy to port something they wrote for something else is not incentive, at this point, it is just pathetic. At least have enough pride to ask them to take the time to write a great native app for the platform. I think some of you have lost touch with reality if you don't think developers know you're there and how many of you there are, and what their options are. They know; they just don't give a damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If Palm can't get their attention, (lord knows they have been throwing themselves at developers like... oh, never mind). Now you want to spam their inboxes with begging, whiny missives.

Stop, already! They know you're there. They also know the an iPad is sold every three seconds, and iPhone sales have been increasing, not decreasing. They know that millions of the next iPhone will be sold every month, and it still probably won't stay on the shelves. They know iAds have already have captured almost 50% of the mobile advertising market for the second half, and they will get 60% of the split from their free and low cost apps they make for the iPhone.

For these guys, Palm has to be looking more and more like a charity case than a business model. If they want to sell more iPhone apps, they can just make their apps free and grab a huge percent of that ad revenue. Just telling them that you are here and it is easy to port something they wrote for something else is not incentive, at this point, it is just pathetic. At least have enough pride to ask them to take the time to write a great native app for the platform. I think some of you have lost touch with reality if you don't think developers know you're there and how many of you there are, and what their options are. They know; they just don't give a damn.
    No I think you're wrong.

Non of my iphone developer friends knew that this "PDK" even existed.

When I told them their reaction was "REALLY? I thought you could only make crappy web apps on the Pre in HTML"

So, the ones that I talked to didnt know.
    Why? Because it's not "easy" like many would lead you to believe. Especially when an app is written using Cocoa, then it makes it nearly impossible to port. Essentially (aside from games), to port an application to a new platform practically takes a whole rewrite.
    Current PDK+SDK doesn't allow to port all kind of apps, just OpenGL and SDL apps. When Hibrid Apps can be done, then the number will grow. If the apps use iPhone interface elements, then that can't be done at this moment.

It would be cool to post the answers about this, anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    No I think you're wrong.

Non of my iphone developer friends knew that this "PDK" even existed.

When I told them their reaction was "REALLY? I thought you could only make crappy web apps on the Pre in HTML"

So, the ones that I talked to didnt know.
    I've had been figuring this for a long time...
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I got this response from Rovio Mobile.

Hi,

We’re currently looking into the possibility of developing Angry Birds for all platforms. Although nothing is confirmed yet. Hopefully in the not to distance future we’ll bring Angry Birds to the webos platform, especially after the success of Angry Birds on the iPhone. So I guess the answer to your question at this point is “maybe”.

Kind Regards,

Matthew Wilson
    Marketing Manager
    Rovio Mobile

Follow me on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    bump

Follow me on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any specific developers (I prefer smaller companies it is more likely I will get get a response) that they would like me to email?

Follow me on Twitter!
    Does anyone have any specific developers (I prefer smaller companies it is more likely I will get get a response) that they would like me to email?
    Popcap games. They're the guys who made Plants vs Zombies for the iPhone
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast