Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Could anyone describe, in simple terms, what the advantages and disadvantages of these two kernels are when compared to Uber Kernel?

Thanks
    +1
    +1
  4. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    +1 (redundant, I know)
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    +1 (we need one more +1)
    +1

Your welcome...
    The main thing for the average user to understand is that F102/F104 use compcache and optimized memory tweaks to minimize the TMC error in comparison to Uber-Kernel. While it seems to be better in that aspect, it is also a bleeding-edge technology (as described by rwhitby) and, therefore, requires more testing before it is implemented into Uber-Kernel for the masses to use.

The difference between F102 and F104 is the options for governors. F102 is only allowed to screenstate 500/800 while F104 is given 5-6 different governors (just like UberKernel).

F104 is for the technical user while F102 works good straight out of the box. If you can experiment with Uber-Kernel and understand how governors work and what the specific settings mean like "sampling rate" then take a shot at F104.

Hope this helps.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    The main thing for the average user to understand is that F102/F104 use compcache and optimized memory tweaks to minimize the TMC error in comparison to Uber-Kernel. While it seems to be better in that aspect, it is also a bleeding-edge technology (as described by rwhitby) and, therefore, requires more testing before it is implemented into Uber-Kernel for the masses to use.

The difference between F102 and F104 is the options for governors. F102 is only allowed to screenstate 500/800 while F104 is given 5-6 different governors (just like UberKernel).

F104 is for the technical user while F102 works good straight out of the box. If you can experiment with Uber-Kernel and understand how governors work and what the specific settings mean like "sampling rate" then take a shot at F104.

Hope this helps.
    how long b4 this goes out on preware?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    how long b4 this goes out on preware?
    F102/F104 will probably never hit Preware, but rwhitby has stated via twitter that he is interested in compcache so it's possible for it to be integrated into Uber-Kernel.
    i havnt had the to many cards error in like months now . why are people getting them still ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i havnt had the to many cards error in like months now . why are people getting them still ??
    I have noticed that extended browsing on certain advertising intensive websites and Glyder2 both cause TMC errors, regardless of actual memory usage.

You can close every single card and do a manual garbage collect and still have TMCs popping up.

Other than those two problems, I have not had a problem since installing the original overclocking kernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    I have noticed that extended browsing on certain advertising intensive websites and Glyder2 both cause TMC errors, regardless of actual memory usage.

You can close every single card and do a manual garbage collect and still have TMCs popping up.

Other than those two problems, I have not had a problem since installing the original overclocking kernel.
    What are your settings for 'original overclocking kernel'?
    Starfighter ? Oh dear....
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    so if its all about memory is there any advantage between compcache and uberkernel for a pre plus?
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    I hope that explanation from Abyssul was suffice for all who have questons.

@cursiv,in terms of what? Speed? For that's the only thing I can think of. If that's your question then the speed range are the same. Pre plus has more ram and memory,so they don't get the too many cards error.
    I am getting the TMC error with the Uber and govnah... so i removed both of those and I am still getting it.... freaking stupid error! I wish I could kill the error message!
    I've just installed F102 today.... What do I do with Govnah? Leave it? Uninstall it? Will leaving it on the device mess anything up?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I've just installed F102 today.... What do I do with Govnah? Leave it? Uninstall it? Will leaving it on the device mess anything up?

Thanks.

You don't need Govnah with F102. In fact Govnah uses background services that will actually interfere with F102 and you should delete it if you use that kernal...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    whats the difference between uberkernel and f102 ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    whats the difference between uberkernel and f102 ??
    From what was explained to me, the biggest difference is the TMC hack in the f102 kernal. The hack elimates the Too Many Cards warning. This might lead to missed phone calls if you have to many apps opened.

You also can only run it on screenstate 800/500 as opposed to the various profiles that exist in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    You don't need Govnah with F102. In fact Govnah uses background services that will actually interfere with F102 and you should delete it if you use that kernal...
    so is it still recommended to remove guvnah with f102 now that it has been released to preware? Currently using f102 while still checking in with guvnah from time to time.. Do it to check on my memory info...

speaking of which, can someone help me know what i'm looking for? After restart, mem/swap is typically 230/0.. After browsing for awhile or playing game it might show 200/40. Which # is more important in terms of needing to restart before I start using the slower flash memory? Hope that makes sense.. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast