1.    #1  
    Hi all,

LET'S PRETEND I AM FROM THE PLANET OF NON TECHIES!

I would like to know what is pdk as opposed to sdk? I am at a loss as to which is which and which does which. Thanks, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think it's as simple as this:

SDK allows you to program in HTML5, Javascript and supported/native languages.
    PDK allows you to program in C and C++

That's how my (also non techy) brain understands it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

LET'S PRETEND I AM FROM THE PLANET OF NON TECHIES!

I would like to know what is pdk as opposed to sdk? I am at a loss as to which is which and which does which. Thanks, Jay
    PDK stands for plug-in development kit
    SDK stands for software development kit

As simple as I understand it
    The sdk allows you to write apps in the native language of webOS using the mojo framework.
    The pdk is a plug in which allows apps written in other languages to work with webOS. So pdk equal ports of apps, sdk is native apps.
  4.    #4  
    Hi, Thank you, in other words, they are different ways for writing software. I know that some software can be ported from other platforms. Is that true for both PDK & SDK? Or only one of them?

I also heard that it is mostly games that are being ported, not just b/c these apps are paid for, but also b/c most apps cannot be ported. Is that true??

Thank from Jay and all the other residents to of the Planet Non Techie!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hi, Thank you, in other words, they are different ways for writing software. I know that some software can be ported from other platforms. Is that true for both PDK & SDK? Or only one of them?

I also heard that it is mostly games that are being ported, not just b/c these apps are paid for, but also b/c most apps cannot be ported. Is that true??

Thank from Jay and all the other residents to of the Planet Non Techie!
    You can only port using the pdk, that is the purpose of it. If you were to use the sdk it would require rewriting the program into the native language of webOS.

Only games have been ported so far but I think that is more to do with the fact that the pdk has not yet been officially released, so only certain apps such as gameloft, glu and mobile1up have been able to use it. We will probably see non-games apps ported after the next webOS update.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    LOL, I love the title of this thread. Just the right amount of condescension/sarcasm toward techies who are generally condescending to non-techies!

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Only games have been ported so far but I think that is more to do with the fact that the pdk has not yet been officially released, so only certain apps such as gameloft, glu and mobile1up have been able to use it. We will probably see non-games apps ported after the next webOS update.
    It has more to do with the fact that PDK apps currentl have no access to the MOJO framework so games are really the only apps that can be ported right now.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It has more to do with the fact that PDK apps currentl have no access to the MOJO framework so games are really the only apps that can be ported right now.
    Hi, Thank you however, I live on the planet Non-techie....so that means you have to explain what Mojo is! Thanks, Jay
    Hi, Thank you however, I live on the planet Non-techie....so that means you have to explain what Mojo is! Thanks, Jay
    The most non technical explanation I can give is "the buttons and stuff"
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The most non technical explanation I can give is "the buttons and stuff"
    I think you mean a do-dad and thingamgig! LOL, thanks take care, Jay