View Poll Results: Do you keep any cards open?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with no discernable impact on battery life.

21 21.88%
  • Yes, although it does deplete my battery life somewhat

5 5.21%
  • Never leave any cards open

37 38.54%
  • Sometimes, but I don't know what impact this has had

33 34.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    just wanted to see what the user base here thinks about keeping cards open...e.g. leaving the email app open all the time or similar.
    just wondering what impact this has on battery life.
    thanks!
    I usually have e-mail and or the web browser open....I don't see much difference in bat life either way.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I usually have 3-6 cards open and in mini-mode.
    Mini-mode is awesome.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    I usually have DrPodder, Scoop, Email, Messaging and maybe a browser open, and since I am usually running DrPodder, my battery goes down. I have never really done any tests to see if closing apps improve my battery (apps that arent actively running services). Maybe I can take on that task this week.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Well I typically don't leave any apps open. I guess I just don't like the cluttery look
    on the desktop, I like to see my background.
    I keep open the apps that take a while to load. Specifically messaging and email. I used to keep the dialer app open - but 1.4.1.1 speeds up the load time to the point that I don't need to do that...

I use a black background to keep things un-cluttered.

Oh, and I keep a PreCentral card open at all times, naturally!
    I rarely have anything open I'm not currently using; although 'currently' is sometime 5-6 cards. As soon as I'm done and I set my phone down, though...they're all closed.
    I try to leave cards open but it's just too much fun flicking them off the screen.
    I sometimes leave 10+ cards open with no major battery drain or too many cards issues. I'm using a Pre Plus.
    Generally close them but sometimes leave them open if it's something I'm going to be using intermittantly.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Generally close them but sometimes leave them open if it's something I'm going to be using intermittantly.
    I do that all the time, usually at work I'll keep precentral open and just pop in and see what's going on. No difference on battery life unless I have time to check more often.
    I can't even have one open, cause I get the to many card error any idea what I need to do to prevent this!!
    I keep the my twitter cards open, depending on which app I use, and I hav my pre on airplane mode, unless I use the app
    Most of the time I close out my apps. In meetings I will have documents open or Google ready for search, keeping me informed and educated. I wish we had good documentation on battery drain for open cards, and I might would leave more open and use the phone further.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    thanks for the posts, guys (or girls)!
    superdog87, i agree that Palm should have better documentation of that...it's exactly why i started this thread - i just don't know!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Funny how I know darn well I can leave my cards open, that's what webOS is best at, but out of habit and OCD I tend to just close them out, even if I know I'm going to need it again soon.. it's an unconscious thing. Need to break out of it, go crazy and use it the way it is ment to be used! That's it.. I'm going hog wild and opening up three at the same time! Someone stop me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by superdog87 View Post
    Most of the time I close out my apps. In meetings I will have documents open or Google ready for search, keeping me informed and educated. I wish we had good documentation on battery drain for open cards, and I might would leave more open and use the phone further.

This is where the homebrew app Battery Monitor comes in handy. I've doen numerous tests and can confirm that unless the app does things in the background (pandora, gps apps, IM), the difference in battery drain from 1 app to multiple is practically the same.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcardle View Post
    Funny how I know darn well I can leave my cards open, that's what webOS is best at, but out of habit and OCD I tend to just close them out, even if I know I'm going to need it again soon.. it's an unconscious thing. Need to break out of it, go crazy and use it the way it is ment to be used! That's it.. I'm going hog wild and opening up three at the same time! Someone stop me!!

hahahah ... +1, i just have to close them, it's like leaving a drinking cup on the kitchen counter (never happens, cups have to be put away!) and i can't leave apps open, I have to close them, i just have to.
    Camera and LostFM are open most of the time. Messaging all the time.
    At work I typically have 3 - 4 apps open (mail, calendar, sometimes browser, Top Stocks, Time Tracker) + whatever else I need here and there. I keep the pre on the touchstone whenever I'm in the office, so battery time is hard to gauge. Typically I flick everything off when I leave at the end of the day.

I find I burn the battery down in to around 20% with 2+ hours constent usage in 3G.

I often run Mapping Tool genering a GPS tracki when on bike rides. After 2 - 3 hours the battery is around 35 - 40%

I never turn the gps off. I only have blue tooth on when using it. tend to use 3G and not wifi (still not confinced the pre handles switching between 3g and wifi well all the time).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast