1.    #1  
    I know that this has been beaten to death and i'll get lots of these "" telling me to search. I have, and I haven't quite found anything like the question I'm asking.

I just got my Google Voice invite (after only a week of waiting, but a year of wanting! Your request gets sent to the top if you use a *.edu email address!) and I want to know how the members of Pre Central use their account. I went ahead and signed up for the new number because I am all for the "one number to end all others" thing going on and I like the extra features it comes with. I know that GDial died a little while ago and some people are still looking for the old .ipk's of it.

Anywho, sorry for the rambling. I'm just wondering how y'all use it so I can get some ideas. My ideal use would be full integration a la GDial or something on Android, but i'm assuming that's not possible.
    I use google voice as my number that I give to everyone. I am a principal so I give that number to the parents so that I can screen those calls. I like the transcribed voice mails. I also like being able to switch from home phone to cell phone to office phone and no one be the wiser. Gdial pro was working great but when nathan stopped working on it i had to find me something that worked. The web page suffices for now but saving it as a bookmark wasn't working for me so I made me an app based off the unofficial precentral app that brings up the google voice web page. With the unofficial app i made i can find it with universal search and pull it up quickly. Still wish we had a dedicated app for it but that works well for me. You can also now setup new numbers from the website so if you are out an about and need want to use your google voice number to forward calls to where you are at it is much easier now.
    I am on Sprint and I told Sprint to forward all non-answered calls to Google Voice, so Google Voice handles my voice mail now. I set up GV to email me transcripts of all messages. Transcription still isn't that great but I can always get the gist of the message and the email contains a link to stream the actual message (SMS transcripts do not).

I don't use GV for outbound calls due to the lack of a native app, so basically it's just a voice mail replacement, although I also give out my GV number to companies and individuals when I don't want to give them my real cell phone number. If they abuse the privilege I can block them.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Ive been using GV since they started and i tried using the Gdial app but thats a lil glitchy, but it keeps all my voicemails...its great for having multiple numbers all directed to your cell
    I started to change my contacts numbers to <my GV number>tt<GV PIN>t2t<contact's phone number>#

It's the quickest way and I can use Universal search also.
    For VM, It forwards the message to gmail, so I can see/hear it there.
    The only downside is if you have any messages waiting on the GV side, the above string wont work correctly.
    Are there any currently maintained Google Voice apps left? Gdial was great, i'm truly sad it's not being maintained anymore
    I just use it for the transcription in the voice-mail.

Otherwise I found it too annoying to tell people to use my Google voice number but I'd probably call them on my own number because it was too annoying to call through the Google voice number, with very minimal actual use.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I like using it to contact businesses or when they want my number. I don't give them my cell or my home number that way, but they can still reach me.

It's a pain to call someone with it, as you have to use the mobile app, but it's worth it if you want to keep your cell/home number private.

I also use it for work since they haven't given me a company cell phone - the calls can then forward to my cell w/o me giving out my personal number to anyone.
    I just finally got my invite, after months of waiting. Does anyone use P2GoogleVoice? I found it on PreWare, just looking for some reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Version_3 View Post
    I started to change my contacts numbers to <my GV number>tt<GV PIN>t2t<contact's phone number>#

It's the quickest way and I can use Universal search also.
    For VM, It forwards the message to gmail, so I can see/hear it there.
    The only downside is if you have any messages waiting on the GV side, the above string wont work correctly.
    Thank you for this!
    I use P2GoogleVoice, and it has worked fabulously for me ever since I snagged it from Preware.
    "Honest to the point of recklessness; self-centered in the extreme."
    I have used a few versions of gDial,still have the last version installed and still works without any issues. I also have P2GoogleVoice as well, andit too works without any issues, if you have a gVoice number, the P2GV app is very useful
    I'm using P2GoogleVoice downloaded from Preware and the dialing features seem to work well. However, the texting feature won't work. Is anyone else having an issue with texting from P2GoogleVoice?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abailey269 View Post
    I'm using P2GoogleVoice downloaded from Preware and the dialing features seem to work well. However, the texting feature won't work. Is anyone else having an issue with texting from P2GoogleVoice?
    While I'm waiting for a GV account and have not used it, I have downloaded P2GoogleVoice to give it a look. I beleive that developer has noted somewhere that, Google changed the way that texts are done which broke the option in P2GoogleVoice. I also don't think that P2GoogleVoice is in active development so that may not be fixed. Hopefully the voice options will continue to function.
    TTFN
    Ahh ok. Thanks for the update. I'm glad the voice functions are still working. Hopefully someone else will come out with another full featured app for it soon.
    It's frustrating. I don't give out people my Google Voice number- I've had my Verizon number for several years and I've given it out to a lot of people. I'm far to lazy to contact every single person who has my number and tell them to use a different number for me instead. Plus, I only have one phone (a Pre Plus, of course) and so I have no need to have my calls go through Google and then to my number. I still have the number though. I use Google Voice for the voicemail features. I HATE regular Voicemail. I have to listen to 20 messages to get to the one I want to hear- then I have to hear the instructions on how to use voicemail... for the millionth time. And then they charge you for it. Yeah, that's a service worth giving up my minutes to use. I use Google Voice to get fast, random access to my voicemails and it sends me transcriptions of voicemails through text messages- the transcriptions, of course, are terribly inaccurate. It's usually funny more than anything. It transcribed my name, "Sam," into "70 cents." I'm not even sure how that's possible. But I just rely on the texts for voicemail if I'm in a rush or, if I've got a minute, I fire up the web client. The web app is ok, but a native app would be so much better it's not even funny. I didn't have a Pre in the days of GDial so I never even experienced a native Google Voice app on webOS. There are about 5 iOS apps which I'm just dying to have ported over to webOS and, while I'd love to get Instapaper, iOS's built-in YouTube app, Things, and Simplenote on my Pre I'd have to say Google Voice is on the top of the list. It's frustrating to say the least. I'll look into P2GoogleVoice now... thanks for mentioning that app.