Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Been thinking about trying to get BBM to run on my Palm Pixi and have had a thought. Blackberry used to give Palm Phones pins through a program called BBConnect. I have a blackberry pin, so would it be possible to use the PalmOS emulator to log into BBConnect using a blackberry pin? Any ideas??
    It would not be possible. BBConnect does not support WebOS and only worked for BES accounts anyway. If you want BBM, you need a Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It would not be possible. BBConnect does not support WebOS and only worked for BES accounts anyway. If you want BBM, you need a Blackberry.
    this,

Not sure if RIM make more money keeping bbm on their phones forcing people who REALLY need it (teens) to buy them...

or if they might make more if they released the app onto other platforms...I'm sure they could charge 10-20 dollars for it and it would still sell millions. Though that will most likely never happen, especially since Apple will most likely make Ichat with the iphone 4g.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    this,

Not sure if RIM make more money keeping bbm on their phones forcing people who REALLY need it (teens) to buy them...

or if they might make more if they released the app onto other platforms...I'm sure they could charge 10-20 dollars for it and it would still sell millions. Though that will most likely never happen, especially since Apple will most likely make Ichat with the iphone 4g.
    But... RIM wouldn't lose anything if Apple did that- those customers already belong to Apple. They'd gain customers they normally wouldn't have at all from the other phones, even if just for the use of BBM. I don't know how that would offset the cost of development/maintenance (which I assume would be minimal), but I think it would be worth it. I would spend $20, probably more, to be able to use BBM on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    But... RIM wouldn't lose anything if Apple did that- those customers already belong to Apple. They'd gain customers they normally wouldn't have at all from the other phones, even if just for the use of BBM. I don't know how that would offset the cost of development/maintenance (which I assume would be minimal), but I think it would be worth it. I would spend $20, probably more, to be able to use BBM on webOS.
    The problem isn't with existing smartphone owners, but future customers. BBM is really rim's only advantage in the consumer market. I bet if they made it available on the droid, or any decent smartphone, there would be a mass exodus, and rim would have trouble louring in the teens. BBM is so prevalent among people I went to high school with, and even now in college. The fact is, most people just want a phone that lets them easily talk to other people, and blackberry and BBM are great for that.
    Cnectd is a kind of BBM available on Blackberry, Android, iPhone and Symbian. I asked them if they are planning to make a webOS version and I got this answer:

Yes, however I cannot give you an exact time frame for this. Hopefully soon.
    Last edited by alvaro_qc; 06/06/2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    would be nice to have somethin everyone would use, but BBM has such a grip on the market. Everyone can get Google Talk yet hardly anyone I know uses it. Its all about BBM and pins and scanning barcodes, no ones interested in the alternatives