Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    It's too late into my evening for me to describe how this article makes me feel. Time to go to bed.

    WebOS Apps Stand Out Because There’s Less Competition | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

    I made some of the crappiest apps for the Pre, and Palm is giving me $1,000 for each, software programmer Pete Ma (right) bragged to Wired.com last week during a developer conference, adding that each of his five apps took less than an hour to code."
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    It's too late into my evening for me to describe how this article makes me feel. Time to go to bed.
    TRANSLATION: Everybody else tell me how I should feel about this.

    Not to worry. Given the small number and range of quality of WebOS apps, it's not surprising that a few entrepreneurial coders are making some quick cash.
  3. #3  
    yeah he won't be around for long either. That little bit of money will dry up fast . Believe that. Ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    yeah he won't be around for long either. That little bit of money will dry up fast . Believe that. Ha ha
    Correct. Then he'll just go back to his real job of making money on other platforms while WebOS remains the platform for hobbyists and converted also-ran programs from more successful platforms.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    TRANSLATION: Everybody else tell me how I should feel about this.
    Wow....

    On re examination of the article, I think this sums it up for me.

    "We know everyone loves picking on the little kid on the playground, but look, this guy is also taking his lunch money."
  6. #6  
    especially since his apps are all of the same type as Dijit and Brighthouse...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Correct. Then he'll just go back to his real job of making money on other platforms while WebOS remains the platform for hobbyists and converted also-ran programs from more successful platforms.
    I've seen this line from you more than once. While it's true that developers are flocking to the more popular platforms (duh! more money potential), I have a few questions:

    1) Whats wrong with hobbyist writing applications? Some are quite good and some of them I use more than my "polished" versions on my Blackberry.

    2) There are some first rate developers writing for the Pre. Granted not as many, but I doubt they consider their efforts "also-rans".

    Also - if you read the article, he's not getting noticed on the Android platform.

    It was cute the first time you used it, but it's getting old and it's not even entirely accurate. Sounds like you don't like WebOS much, so why do you even care?
    Last edited by C-Note; 06/04/2010 at 06:25 PM.
  8. #8  
    +1

    In the controversial CEO interview, he commented on the quality of those developing for webOS... They may be fewer, but the homebrew community produces better stuff than many software companies...
  9. #9  
    Hey guys,

    that quote was not part of the interview, it was the conversation we had during dinner. We were talking about getting downloads for different platforms, and I simply meant getting downloads on webos was a lot easier. This was written this way to draw people's attention for reading it. If you read it closely, he wrote "during a conference"
  10. #10  
    Are you the dev?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    1) Whats wrong with hobbyist writing applications? Some are quite good and some of them I use more than my "polished" versions on my Blackberry.

    2) There are some first rate developers writing for the Pre. Granted not as many, but I doubt they consider their efforts "also-rans".
    1. Having hobbyists is great and some are quite good. That's a fine philosophy when bolstered by a stable of professional software sources producing for a mainstream consumer product. But for a smartphone trying to compete as a mainstream consumer product, relying heavily on hobbyists is not a good business strategy ... As Palm can attest to first hand.

    2. Yes there are. Just not very many of them. However, I thing you misunderstood my "also-ran" comment. It was meant to convey the sense that many of the good programs on the Pre are converted from programs produced on other platforms and ported to the Pre, almost as an afterthought, because it was convenient to do so, not because there was any real money to be made. There's almost a complete absence of programs written for the Pre because it THE device to write them for.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    1. Having hobbyists is great and some are quite good. That's a fine philosophy when bolstered by a stable of professional software sources producing for a mainstream consumer product. But for a smartphone trying to compete as a mainstream consumer product, relying heavily on hobbyists is not a good business strategy ... As Palm can attest to first hand.

    2. Yes there are. Just not very many of them. However, I thing you misunderstood my "also-ran" comment. It was meant to convey the sense that many of the good programs on the Pre are converted from programs produced on other platforms and ported to the Pre, almost as an afterthought, because it was convenient to do so, not because there was any real money to be made. There's almost a complete absence of programs written for the Pre because it THE device to write them for.
    It's not a philosophy, it's where they are. Sure it would be great if millions of people had Pre's... but that's not the case. A lot of it was bad moves by Palm, some of it was bad timing. But it is what it is.

    What should they do, say "Oh well, we didn't get off to a good start so let's just quit and go home"? Nobody who hopes to have any success has that attitude, so why should they? Look through the history books, lots of the greatest tech companies started off as "hobbyist" projects.

    And how is the fact that programs are written for other devices first a problem as long as the "also-rans" work for me. I have Pandora, Radiotime, Radio Hibiki and they all work very well. Should I feel sad because they were written for other platforms first? Does it really matter, except to the marketing department of those companies and maybe small minded people who have no real stake in either company.

    It can be argued that they (Palm) had problems in part because of being ONLY a phone/PDA company when the money needed to be successful requires having another big money maker. Google (Nexus One) and Microsoft (pick any of their phones to date) both would have failed if their phones were their bread and butter products without the money from ad revenues or a dominant OS to float them along. So if they can benefit in some way by the general developer fever generated by the rise of the smartphone, should they say, "if you don't develop for us first we won't let you into our catalog"?

    Your arguments don't reflect an understanding of how a company (any company) has to play the hand they have, not the hand they wish they had, or could have had.

    If you are one of those people from the "my phone is more popular than your phone" crowd, you've engaged the wrong person. I like my Pre, and I can afford any phone I want. I'm pretty sure if Palm did fold, Apple or Google would be fighting to get my dollar, so what does it matter.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Are you the dev?
    Yes,

    I've already talked to webosroundup to explain the situation. Brian had to do what he had to do in order to attract readers. We met in a conference which I've won the grand prize for the challenge, I was interviewed by mashable, techcrunch, but neither article was published. You have to understand, editors are simply not interested in everyday stuff, they will pick out whats odd and write about it because thats what people want to read. The comment I've made is not part of the interview we had for over half an hour on the phone.

    I've already ported my "Award winning app" into WebOS, those are hello world apps I've built while learning the system, I simply found some good topics to build the app on and was able to attract users.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    What should they do, say "Oh well, we didn't get off to a good start so let's just quit and go home"? Nobody who hopes to have any success has that attitude, so why should they? Look through the history books, lots of the greatest tech companies started off as "hobbyist" projects.
    I think you need to look at the history books unless you can cite an example of a technology company that started out as an industry leader, dwindled down into a hobbyist-supported shadow of it's former self, and then became a great tech company. You weren't thinking about Palm in your example were you?

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Your arguments don't reflect an understanding of how a company (any company) has to play the hand they have, not the hand they wish they had, or could have had.
    So you're saying Palm played their hand as well as it could? The complete lack of a SDK for months after it's release and even more foot dragging before releasing a true (i.e. Not just a webkit) SDK is your idea of "playing the hand they have?" You think wasting valuable, limited Palm developer time leeching off iTunes over and over again is Palm at it's best in "playing the hand they have?" Is the complete lack of a developer conference in the first year "playing the hand they have" to the best of their ability? Notice I'm limiting my questions to just the software side of things here, I won't belabor Palm's efforts on the hardware, marketing, or cellular provider training aspects of the hand they played.

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    If you are one of those people from the "my phone is more popular than your phone" crowd, you've engaged the wrong person. I like my Pre, and I can afford any phone I want.
    I like a lot of phones myself, but I try not to assign mythical properties to them in my defense of their honor.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think you need to look at the history books unless you can cite an example of a technology company that started out as an industry leader, dwindled down into a hobbyist-supported shadow of it's former self, and then became a great tech company. You weren't thinking about Palm in your example were you?

    So you're saying Palm played their hand as well as it could? The complete lack of a SDK for months after it's release and even more foot dragging before releasing a true (i.e. Not just a webkit) SDK is your idea of "playing the hand they have?" You think wasting valuable, limited Palm developer time leeching off iTunes over and over again is Palm at it's best in "playing the hand they have?" Is the complete lack of a developer conference in the first year "playing the hand they have" to the best of their ability? Notice I'm limiting my questions to just the software side of things here, I won't belabor Palm's efforts on the hardware, marketing, or cellular provider training aspects of the hand they played.

    I like a lot of phones myself, but I try not to assign mythical properties to them in my defense of their honor.
    You obviously have a reading problem. My full post stands for everyone to read. Pulling partial quotes out of it and assigning your meaning to my words is just stupid when what was written is clearly visible.

    Nobody said Palm didn't make mistakes, if you can read that is clear (I bet anyone else who read the post can see what you chose not to notice). Nor did anybody assign mythical properties to them. They are where they are and have two choices , try to move ahead or give up. I'd rather see them succeed, just like I'd like to see Android, Blackberry and Apple have success. One dominating player give you Microsoft type monopolies over a market and stifles innovation.

    Why do you seem to have a problem because some people here (me included) want to see Palm/HP do well?

    Answer one question... forget about what they should have done (since you can't change the past) Do you want to see Palm continue or fail? Yes or No (it's an easy question)

    Nor am I so arrogant so as to assume based on few articles written on Tech Blogs that I know what was going on behind the scenes in terms of financing, carrier partnerships, manufacturing availability and the like which dictated choices that were made. I work in technology and media and most of these stores contain an ounce of truth and a pound of blind speculation.

    Sounds like you know exactly what motivated their every decision? That would give you more knowledge than almost anyone on this forum. Care to share your sources so we can all be as smart as you
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyceane View Post
    Yes,

    I've already talked to webosroundup to explain the situation. Brian had to do what he had to do in order to attract readers. We met in a conference which I've won the grand prize for the challenge, I was interviewed by mashable, techcrunch, but neither article was published. You have to understand, editors are simply not interested in everyday stuff, they will pick out whats odd and write about it because thats what people want to read. The comment I've made is not part of the interview we had for over half an hour on the phone.

    I've already ported my "Award winning app" into WebOS, those are hello world apps I've built while learning the system, I simply found some good topics to build the app on and was able to attract users.
    Nyceane,

    Thanks for popping over here and sharing your side of this. From my reading, I saw a bit of author bias, so it is nice to have you around to explain your side.

    I am not a Lawyer - Remember, when speaking to a reporter, dinner is a great way for them to get you to speak and get the gems they are hunting for. Unless you agree that things are off record or on background, they can run it in print.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyceane View Post
    Yes,

    I've already talked to webosroundup to explain the situation. Brian had to do what he had to do in order to attract readers. We met in a conference which I've won the grand prize for the challenge, I was interviewed by mashable, techcrunch, but neither article was published. You have to understand, editors are simply not interested in everyday stuff, they will pick out whats odd and write about it because thats what people want to read. The comment I've made is not part of the interview we had for over half an hour on the phone.

    I've already ported my "Award winning app" into WebOS, those are hello world apps I've built while learning the system, I simply found some good topics to build the app on and was able to attract users.
    You should post a thread about this in a forum, they made you look like crap, if what you say is true. I'd never buy one of your apps after reading that. Please enlighten us. I know the press can be sensationalist and unreliable, but that was tough to read.

    C
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think you need to look at the history books unless you can cite an example of a technology company that started out as an industry leader, dwindled down into a hobbyist-supported shadow of it's former self, and then became a great tech company.
    Uh, Apple for one?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    You should post a thread about this in a forum, they made you look like crap, if what you say is true. I'd never buy one of your apps after reading that. Please enlighten us. I know the press can be sensationalist and unreliable, but that was tough to read.

    C
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Uh, Apple for one?
    Hey, leave the fish in that barrel alone! I'll also add SGI to that list, but they also went on to fail again.
    Last edited by noco37; 06/04/2010 at 11:46 PM.
  20. #20  
    Did you guys remember that when Iphone was just out, it was the same thing? all the prank apps were getting huge success while other apps were not, they created entire mobile fart industry out of iphone, with lawsuits over $50,000 just for paying lawyers. People wants to have fun with their phone, its not that hard to accept the truth.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions