Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyceane View Post
    Yes,

    I've already talked to webosroundup to explain the situation. Brian had to do what he had to do in order to attract readers. We met in a conference which I've won the grand prize for the challenge, I was interviewed by mashable, techcrunch, but neither article was published. You have to understand, editors are simply not interested in everyday stuff, they will pick out whats odd and write about it because thats what people want to read. The comment I've made is not part of the interview we had for over half an hour on the phone.

    I've already ported my "Award winning app" into WebOS, those are hello world apps I've built while learning the system, I simply found some good topics to build the app on and was able to attract users.
    That's interesting. If I may offer a suggestion, I think you should remove the "hello" apps now that you have a serious app to offer. Your "hello" apps are such that they belong in the category of Dijit apps, IMHO, and that doesn't add to your personal brand value.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think you need to look at the history books unless you can cite an example of a technology company that started out as an industry leader, dwindled down into a hobbyist-supported shadow of it's former self, and then became a great tech company. You weren't thinking about Palm in your example were you?
    Lotus. Stormed the world with 1-2-3, dwindled under the jackboot of Microsoft, rebounded with Lotus Notes, eventually got run over by Microsoft Exchange, then were acquired by IBM.

    Unique example of a company that created, dominated, and then lost a new technology category. And they did it twice...
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That's interesting. If I may offer a suggestion, I think you should remove the "hello" apps now that you have a serious app to offer. Your "hello" apps are such that they belong in the category of Dijit apps, IMHO, and that doesn't add to your personal brand value.
    I've downloaded his hello world apps and I still have them on my phone, I tricked my co-worker thinking windows vista running on palm. These apps are fun and free, I don't see the point removing them since they do bring joy to people's lives.

    You can't really show off "serious apps" to friends, nobody cares, the only answer you'd get is "I can do it on my computer" if they don't have a smart phone or they'll simply say "it runs better on iphone" if they have an iphone, these joke apps are the ones thats very neutral and gives everybody few seconds of joy. The new Chuck App is a Dijit app, and I have a lot of fun with it...
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames101 View Post
    I've downloaded his hello world apps and I still have them on my phone, I tricked my co-worker thinking windows vista running on palm. These apps are fun and free, I don't see the point removing them since they do bring joy to people's lives.

    You can't really show off "serious apps" to friends, nobody cares, the only answer you'd get is "I can do it on my computer" if they don't have a smart phone or they'll simply say "it runs better on iphone" if they have an iphone, these joke apps are the ones thats very neutral and gives everybody few seconds of joy. The new Chuck App is a Dijit app, and I have a lot of fun with it...
    I may have been given the wrong information about this from someone else. What are the names of his hello world apps? I will check again.
  5. #25  
    talk to the writer and or the editor in charge and tell them you feel that the way they worded your dinner-time comments makes you and the phone/platform look cheap, bad, and/or not worth looking in to. maybe if you suggested they edit in a "chaser" line such as "the ease of the app development and the openness of Palm to allow its community to play, learn, and grow with the webos development makes it deserve another look by developers of other platforms. why would i want to spend several hours developing an app when i can spend an hour and make a very good wage developing for palm and webos?"....

    feel free to use my writing exactly as it is if you need/want. i'd also post this or a similar statement on the wired online comments for the article and at other tech sites that are related.

    be sure to remind writer and editor that by misinterpreting your "off the cuff" statement and playing it in an unfair light constitutes grounds for defamation of character, libel, and/or slander of you, palm, and webos.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

    Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    You obviously have a reading problem. My full post stands for everyone to read. Pulling partial quotes out of it and assigning your meaning to my words is just stupid when what was written is clearly visible.
    Of course your full post stands for everyone to read unless you edit it yourself. Why should I quote a bunch of extraneous text or unsupported conjecture from that post that do nothing to illuminate the conversation?

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Nobody said Palm didn't make mistakes, if you can read that is clear (I bet anyone else who read the post can see what you chose not to notice). Nor did anybody assign mythical properties to them. They are where they are and have two choices , try to move ahead or give up. I'd rather see them succeed, just like I'd like to see Android, Blackberry and Apple have success. One dominating player give you Microsoft type monopolies over a market and stifles innovation.
    All corporations make mistakes. Failing corporations make multiple, big, unrecoverable mistakes relative to their size. I simply pointed out the mistakes Palm made in the software support side of the Pre release: Multiple, big, unrecoverable. I agree its all in the past now - are we supposed to ignore that past now that it's behind us? If so, we begin to understand one factor that led to Palm's demise - willful ignorance of the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Why do you seem to have a problem because some people here (me included) want to see Palm/HP do well?
    Here you go, I quoted this section of extraneous text/unsupported conjecture. I hope all the other readers appreciate what I do to suport your wishes. I presume this was a rhetorical question. It deserves a return rhetorical question: Why do you seem to have a problem because some people here (me included) are interested in discussing why Palm failed - with out all the cheerleading rah rah?

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Answer one question... forget about what they should have done (since you can't change the past) Do you want to see Palm continue or fail? Yes or No (it's an easy question)
    My answer has to be no because it's already been decided. Palm has failed - they are not continuing. Are you asking me if I think they should be resurrected now that they've failed? Again, my answer is no. At least not under the leadership that turned them into a portion of a division at HP.

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Nor am I so arrogant so as to assume based on few articles written on Tech Blogs that I know what was going on behind the scenes in terms of financing, carrier partnerships, manufacturing availability and the like which dictated choices that were made. I work in technology and media and most of these stores contain an ounce of truth and a pound of blind speculation.
    Thank you for the additional extraneous text. I'm not sure what this has to do with Palm's software support to the Pre or their overall failure as a business, but it certainly reads well. I quoted it so that you could read it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Sounds like you know exactly what motivated their every decision? That would give you more knowledge than almost anyone on this forum. Care to share your sources so we can all be as smart as you
    Your first sentence in this section is a statement yet it ends with a question mark. Do you really "work in technology and media?" Oh look! I used one of the extraneous portions of your post. Now I'm glad I quoted it - thanks for the great advice.

    More to the point, I can't imagine what motivated their every decision. I'm actually mystified by many of their decisions when they were so clearly not good ones regardless of what context you try to apply to them. Their list of mistakes seemed lengthy when this latest venture (WebOS/Pre) began. In hindsight, the list turned out to be immense - unrecoverable one might say.

    Your last sentence has no punctuation and could be interpreted as a statement or a question. Make sure you quote this important portion of my post when you reply. It's an important point in my weight of evidence.
  7. #27  
    It seems the Wired article swerves into the truth, even if it was by accident. The Palm app catalogue is in such a state that they are paying, in the form of prize money, for "Hello World" apps.

    Every app worth having on the Pre is just an iPhone port. Something like Dr. P is due to the lack of basic functionality in WebOS. There would be no Dr. P if Palm had an iTunes.

    Finally, the developer does not deny saying the things quoted in the article. He meant every word of it. He just didn't know it would be printed. Like it or not, this is the state of the app catalogue. Enjoy.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Lotus. Stormed the world with 1-2-3, dwindled under the jackboot of Microsoft, rebounded with Lotus Notes, eventually got run over by Microsoft Exchange, then were acquired by IBM.

    Unique example of a company that created, dominated, and then lost a new technology category. And they did it twice...
    Perhaps, but throughout that rollercoaster ride, Lotus Development Corp never really became an industry afterthought. It wasn't until their acquisition by another company (IBM) that they began to fade from consumer consciousness. The Lotus story is one heck of a good tech story though, with a couple of good reinventions of themselves and a couple of monumental errors along the way.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Of course your full post stands for everyone to read unless you edit it yourself. Why should I quote a bunch of extraneous text or unsupported conjecture from that post that do nothing to illuminate the conversation?

    All corporations make mistakes. Failing corporations make multiple, big, unrecoverable mistakes relative to their size. I simply pointed out the mistakes Palm made in the software support side of the Pre release: Multiple, big, unrecoverable. I agree its all in the past now - are we supposed to ignore that past now that it's behind us? If so, we begin to understand one factor that led to Palm's demise - willful ignorance of the past.

    Here you go, I quoted this section of extraneous text/unsupported conjecture. I hope all the other readers appreciate what I do to suport your wishes. I presume this was a rhetorical question. It deserves a return rhetorical question: Why do you seem to have a problem because some people here (me included) are interested in discussing why Palm failed - with out all the cheerleading rah rah?

    My answer has to be no because it's already been decided. Palm has failed - they are not continuing. Are you asking me if I think they should be resurrected now that they've failed? Again, my answer is no. At least not under the leadership that turned them into a portion of a division at HP.

    Thank you for the additional extraneous text. I'm not sure what this has to do with Palm's software support to the Pre or their overall failure as a business, but it certainly reads well. I quoted it so that you could read it again.

    Your first sentence in this section is a statement yet it ends with a question mark. Do you really "work in technology and media?" Oh look! I used one of the extraneous portions of your post. Now I'm glad I quoted it - thanks for the great advice.

    More to the point, I can't imagine what motivated their every decision. I'm actually mystified by many of their decisions when they were so clearly not good ones regardless of what context you try to apply to them. Their list of mistakes seemed lengthy when this latest venture (WebOS/Pre) began. In hindsight, the list turned out to be immense - unrecoverable one might say.

    Your last sentence has no punctuation and could be interpreted as a statement or a question. Make sure you quote this important portion of my post when you reply. It's an important point in my weight of evidence.
    Oh your wit is so sharp, I'm going to cry. (maybe I'll save it for later when I have nothing better to do.)

    My question was not rhetorical and you didn't really answer it. Palm has been under the umbrella of a number of companies (3Com and Us Robotics for example) and not many are saying "we won't use Palm if becomes part of HP". Again, you are more interested in pretending this is a sports contest instead of a product. I don't care if Apple bought them... I use the product, and as long as they continue to make and improve the product I will continue to use it. When the PRODUCT dies, then I'll use something else... it's not that hard for most people to understand. Just checked my Pre and it's still working... I'll check it again in July after the sale closes. If it stops working on that day, I'll post and bow to you incredible foresight. (But I don't see that happening)

    Nobody has a problem with pointing out Palms failures. if you read my post in the past I've called them out as well. However THIS post was about comments that a developer made in Wired magazine and your first post was questioning the motives of a poster (Noco37) in the forum. Doing that was uncalled for, and basically makes you look like a punk. I'll repeat it here for everyone to see.

    Originally Posted by noco37
    It's too late into my evening for me to describe how this article makes me feel. Time to go to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    TRANSLATION: Everybody else tell me how I should feel about this.

    Not to worry. Given the small number and range of quality of WebOS apps, it's not surprising that a few entrepreneurial coders are making some quick cash.
    By the way, the developer mentioned has stated that the was grossly misquoted and misrepresented in the article. So the whole premise of your insult to the OP was based on a mistake. (Would this qualify your comments as baseless speculation on your part?) Unless you are going to contend that the developer is now lying merely to save face.

    If you say that however, realize that you are doing just what you accuse others here of doing, cherry-picking information to fit your own biases.

    By the way, find one example of cheerleading in this entire thread from anybody but you. Nobody in this thread once made any claims that Palm is perfect, or even better than any other platform. There is a good measure of that which takes place in these forums, but it didn't take place in this thread, so most of your comment were pointless. You should "man up" and admit that and stop trying to pick a fight where there is no reason to do so. There are plenty of other places for you to have that battle if that is what turn you on.

    Finally... forget it I won't even go there. It's not worth it. And based on your first post in this thread, you are not either. (I take that back, I'm going to assume you were just having a bad day)
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

    Every app worth having on the Pre is just an iPhone port. Something like Dr. P is due to the lack of basic functionality in WebOS. There would be no Dr. P if Palm had an iTunes.
    I'm not trying to be an ***, but would you please expand on your thought? I don't see how "Every app worth having on the Pre is just an iPhone port." My first reaction to that is, well every mobile phone app is just ported computer app.

    I think Dr. Podder shows the good functionality of WebOS. I'm glad to have a non iTunes option.
  11. #31  
    This thread has more than run its course.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions