Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it ok to do this? What are the repercussions of doing this? Has anyone been burned by doing this or had any sort of bad experience?
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    I stopped doing it once Preware added the overclocking kernel stuff.

I found it solved the random luna restarts when I turned it off.

And somewhere there is a post that says there is a security hole that is open when it is in that mode. I guess that's because you have command line acces to the guts of your Pre...

You should turn it of, IMHO. I also recommend that you do a luna restart after you do anything in Preware (other than installing apps). Themes, patches, etc... if you don't restart Luna, it seems it will eventually restart itself, and at a most inconvenient time...
    I think mine is in developer mode, but I'll try turning it off and see if it reduces the random Luna restarts.... I'm still getting them from time to time.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I've been running mine in DEV mode as well. In light of what Cantaffordit posted,
    ...somewhere there is a post that says there is a security hole that is open when it is in that mode. I guess that's because you have command line acces to the guts of your Pre...
    I'm gonna turn it off and see if my pre runs any different/better. Aslo, because of the security issue.
    just remember that you still want to restart luna after you do anything in preware. (patch, theme, etc. anything other then apps...)
    The newest version of Preware has fixed the rescan issue that was at the heart of the "random restart" problem.

Also, I haven't turned DEV mode off since the moment I turned it on and I haven't had any ill effects. The only "security hole" would be if you had your Pre pluged into a PC via USB anyway.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I do.
    I always have my phone in dev mode, but maybe what some of you are saying explains why I had problems with SuperKernel crashing.

Besides that, there have not been many issues that I would consider dev mode to have caused.
    My devices have dev mode turned on in the webOS Doctor image before they are even flashed, and it is never turned off.

There are no bugs that are caused by dev mode being on.

There is no security issue with leaving dev mode on.

There is a less than 1% memory usage overhead caused by novacomd running.

There is no CPU usage when novacom is not connected over the USB cable.

In short, unless you're concerned about a 1% extra memory usage, you can leave it on with no ill effects.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Dev mode always on. Any problems I've experienced were attributable to other causes.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I've had Dev Mode on for months with no issues.

Rob
    dev mode has been on since i first turned the phone on. i have problems but i blame that on actual os instead of dev mode. plus my pre is patched to hell
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    mines on always and i have no luna starts
    ĦṔ-ḶřŘṫ-ŦḯŘη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I've had Dev Mode on since June 2009. No issues here!
  15.    #15  
    I keep mine on all the time. Every once in a while I'll turn it off, only because I've heard the rumor about security issues, but never really thought how anyone would have an easier time cracking into my phone with Dev Mode on or off. I figure it wouldn't matter much because they could turn Dev Mode on themselves to get to my phones internals anyway.
    In Dev mode 24/7. Been there since I first turned it on, about a month after I got my Pre (7/09)

Never had any issues. I dont lose stuff, so my Pre is always with me, no worries about someone getting into it..

If I should like get hit by a bus, and my stuff goes flying, and someone gets ahold of it, and does evil stuff to it, oh well, I think I have worse problems prying bus parts off my buttt

I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

That's odd? I didn't think you could leave it in DEV mode... The first time I used it with WOSQI I messed a few calls that never showed up on my phone. Now I only turn it on if I need to use WOSQI.
    If you choke a smurf what color would it turn?

SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
  18.    #18  
    I just find it easier, since I use it everyday. Some Apps or patches aren't in Preware or WebOSQI.
    Quote Originally Posted by roncgizmo View Post
    That's odd? I didn't think you could leave it in DEV mode... The first time I used it with WOSQI I messed a few calls that never showed up on my phone. Now I only turn it on if I need to use WOSQI.
    WOSQI still calls the rescan service after an install, which causes phone notifications to be broken due to a webOS 1.4.x bug in the unsupported, undocumented internal Palm applicationManager service. If you are experiencing this, you should report it to Jason R in the Canuck Software forum.

Preware has a preference option (which defaults to Yes) to avoid this webOS bug.

It is not dev mode which is causing your problem.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Developer mode has been on since Oct. with no ill effects.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast