1.    #1  
    As a Palm Pre owner since about August last year, I am a bit curious about the other OS's out there. This truly isn't about bashing WebOS or the Pre, I am just very curious what the pros and cons really are.

I always hear that WebOS is better because of this or that, but I am truly starting to question that. I thought WebOS was the only OS that allowed multiple cards to be open at once, but my neighbors iphone seems to allow this, as does another neighbors HTC phone from Verizon. I believe the HTC is a droid phone.

Another thing that really bugs me is that everyone else with a smart phone seems to be able to open video received in emails and texts, but it seems the stuff they all pass around, I can't open. I always get an error saying it can't find an application for that file type or something to that extent. That's the case with stuff sent from iphones, the HTC and even a blackberry, which I understand to be a bottom tier smart phone.

I'm sure there is other stuff, those are what come to mind. Again, not trying to start a bashing thread, just really, really curious. I will admit I am a bit unsure of where I stand on my Pre at this point, even though I do really like it a lot. I am on my 3rd or 4th one since August and this one needs to be replaced, as I am pretty certain the speaker is blown on it. My wife is looking for a new phone and my contract is up in July, so I'll be looking again at that point.

Part of me is thinking of holding onto this broken phone until my contract is up, having sprint replace it under warranty and never activating it, then getting something different and selling the replacement, if anyone wants it. Part of me wants to replace it now and stay with it until it dies and I can't replace it any longer....
    you will get more info here about webOS in general, but I think you will find good stuff here:

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-official.html

and the discussion thread under the big graphic, where Android and webOS fans take their best competitive shots at each other (and webOS won by an impressive margin)...
    March Smart Phone Madness Finals: Motorola Droid vs. Palm Pre Plus

Keep in mind that the AndroidOS is different between many of the "Droids" at the moment. Theoretically they will all become more unified if/when Google stops their "OS-Update-of-the-Month club. Even though their stated objective is for most Android phones to catch up to run the newest/best Android version - you sort of need to evaluate specific Droids because they are different now, and you can't really be guaranteed they will all keep up they you can with webOS. Even if a phone CAN be upgraded, the mfr may decide not to bother....

And there is plenty of discussion of iPhone around:
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...er-iphone.html

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...ghlight=iphone
  3.    #3  
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll check out those sites, but it still bugs me that stuff it seems I think is being touted as being great with my Pre, seems to be the stuff other phones do better. I also think a lot of that stuff gets worse with each upgrade Palm releases. My phone hangs more often than not with multipe apps open, it's touch and go if I get a notification of texts, even though I have an app that is supposed to specialize the ring for different contacts. Wifi drains my battery quickly, if it works. 90% of videos others send from their phones won't open on mine.

One could argue I have a bad phone, and I might, but it seems to get worse with each phone replacement and upgrade. It could also be that I just notice it on my phone, because I use my phone and other people just don't admit the flaws in theirs..... Don't know but I am truly curious.
    Ps, If you are sticking with Sprint, it boils down to whether you like your Pre enough to get another one. Personally, I predict that Sprint will get the Pre Plus before the end of Q3. But, that's my opinion. Many here disagree with me...

I know that hardware quality in general has improved for all carriers. For me, if they need to send me a new one every month - I'm ok with that as long as it is under warranty and they don't try to charge me for it. The homebrew backup stuff and the Palm Profile backup stuff makes switching phones pretty simple. The Pre Plus I have now is rock solid, best I've had, and I hope it lasts because it's so good.

If you really like webOS and your Pre, you might want to wait a few months to see if my prediction is right about the Plus. If you see an Android that you like better... meh. A kitten doesn't die every time someone changes to a different phone.

But, before you buy something else, spend time in the store playing with it. Not the new supercool features, but the "bread and butter" stuff you do every day. Send email, create a new contact. Send a txt. Receive one so you see notifications. Launch the basic apps all at once (Phone/Calendar/Contact/TXT/Browser/Music Player) and switch between them the way you normally would based on how you use your phone. I'm not talking about gestures, I'm taking about how you would listen to music, take a call, grab info from the web, send it to the caller as a txt, and back to music, etc. That's an example. Substitute that with whatever you need to do for the phone to be effective.

I will tell you two things from my experience. I originally went in to buy the MotoDroid (VZ only). I was coming from a Palm Centro and a Blackberry, so it's not like I had a predisposition to think it should work like those... or even an iPhone. I played with it for several hours, more than once. There was an expert on hand who kept showing me random cool stuff. I kept going back to the basics as I mentioned above. Switching between apps was complicated. Launching apps required me to return to the home screen, etc. I absolutely hated the keyboard (completely flat, no space between keys so it felt just like the on-screen keyboard and therefore pointless), I figured I should probably wait until the Pre Plus launched in about 6 weeks, and/or wait for the Nexus.

Then I found out that with any Android phone you MUST use gmail, and that includes syncing Outlook info to gmail and then to the phone. To me, that's a deal breaker for me. Many hear disagree with me, and many agree. I'm not sending my critical data to google especially, or to any cloud service in general. gmail is also required to log in to the phone, buy from the app market, etc. Google owns you on Android.

When I learned that Palm still had the option to continue syncing with Outlook like I did with my BlackBerry and Centro, I decided to wait (even though I had to buy the sync software).

5 minutes playing with the Pre to learn 5 gestures, and I was blown away. I haven't looked back. I know that the UI on Android continues to improve, but until I can sync to outlook - I just can't imagine having one. I'd be more inclined to move to the iPhone because it has a better story around that. And RIM will eventually have a decent phone to compete with the Pre. But, that's for my needs, and there are many that have different needs/views. In fact, I would have no problem getting an Android for my wife. All her stuff is in gMail, Yahoo mail, FaceBook, etc. webOS Synergy would be perfect for her, and Android would also work. But she likes her old flip phone, so she isn't moving.

I hope that helps at some level. I like the Pre hardware, although my eyes wish for a slightly larger screen. I like the sliding keyboard and it feels just like my Centro. I could dump my Pre, and I've bought new phones at full price between upgrades many times because something came out that would meet my needs better. But in this case, the Pre continues to top my list when I compare it to any other phone from any carrier. iPhone is a close second. Nothing else comes close. IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll check out those sites, but it still bugs me that stuff it seems I think is being touted as being great with my Pre, seems to be the stuff other phones do better. I also think a lot of that stuff gets worse with each upgrade Palm releases. My phone hangs more often than not with multipe apps open, it's touch and go if I get a notification of texts, even though I have an app that is supposed to specialize the ring for different contacts. Wifi drains my battery quickly, if it works. 90% of videos others send from their phones won't open on mine.

One could argue I have a bad phone, and I might, but it seems to get worse with each phone replacement and upgrade. It could also be that I just notice it on my phone, because I use my phone and other people just don't admit the flaws in theirs..... Don't know but I am truly curious.
    Some of what you are mentioning (like notification) might be the carrier. I've seen that on many phones with many carriers over the years I've had cell phones. Never saw it get much better or worse between phones.

Also, have you doctored your phone lately? Just like you have to wipe out and reinstall Windows every so often, it isn't unreasonable to do that with webOS every now and then. I found each update got more stable and faster, but I started at 1.3.5 and I know there were major changes between 1.3.5 and earlier versions. It might make sense to doctor to 1.4.1 and see if that helps. It doesn't seem like it would be needed as often with the current version as they have made such huge improvements since last June.

Those are just my opinions. I hope they help!
  6.    #6  
    Haven't doctored lately, but it's really pretty much been this way on two phones since the last update.

Not sure if I'm sticking with Sprint. Most likely I will, as the main reason I would change is because I plan on spending 1 week a year at Table Rock Lake and the part I'm on only has roam available from Sprint. Verizon would be where I'd move to, but they are more expensive and I'm not sure it's really worth the added cost, so unless they were to make me a sweet deal, I'm staying put for now...

You did mention a few things, that I'll have to investigate, such as the email and texting while in a phone call. I have a gmail acct which I don't use, I use outlook express for my personal email and the pre does a great job getting those emails. I don't forward work emails to my phone, because of compliance issues I don't want to mess with, but if I were to do that, it'd be a deal breaker.

One thing I really like is browsing the web and making phone calls or getting GPS directions from a website, by clicking on the maps.

I will continue playing with other phones.... Maybe my wife will get the Evo so I can play with it!!