Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP CEO Mark Hurd: "We Didn't Buy Palm To Be In The Smartphone Business"

"We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well."
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    This pretty much solidified my position to drop my pre as soon as a good wp7 device hits sprint..... I was probably going to do it anyways because of the zunepass/xbox live stuff but this is the nail in the coffin in terms of phones from palm.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I'm predicting a "patch" press release to clarify the CEOs wording before the end of the day tomorrow. If not, a "oh crap, sorry guys" email/memo from Jon to the rest of Palm by Friday.

[edit] One of the predictions came true. (see bold)
    Last edited by Honis; 06/03/2010 at 03:26 PM.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I think someone from palm or hp needs to put out a press release that palm will continue to operate separately from HP for the time being even after the merge.

I would love to see webos still developed and sold on phones. Playing devils advocate I wonder if that design dude leaving palm was a harbinger of more not so good news?
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    and Palm finally throws the white flag. It's been fun guys but I'm outie! EVO here I come!
    Another quote from Mark Hurd, in this article:

"It isn't precisely ... a smartphone play," he said in the transcript. "All the way from a purely voice product up through a smartphone capability through a tablet through a notebook ... that's where we expect to go."
    I think that's pretty clear, really.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Doesn't sound good for the home team. Sad thing is, I was willing to stick it out with Palm, now...not so much. If I had some assurance that HP/PALM was looking to improve what is already a fantastic product, allbeit flawed, I would stick around for the next iteration of the Pre. But these words from Hurd have assured me of nothing, but the fact that HP has bought Palm for WebOS to be used on larger platforms and nothing else. Oh well....in the words of Jay-Z, and when a girl breaks my heart..."On to the next one".
    Shame. I bought a Palm because THEY were in the smartphone business.

I'll ride my current Pre out for as long as it works...then it's switcheroo time.
    Not until palm makes a announcement.
    I really don't even know what to say.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Wow, this can't be good news. I knew this purchase was all about webOS, but I must say I wasn't expecting this.
    Nice going HP. It's nice to see you can damage a company even before you own it.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    not until palm makes a announcement.
    hp ceo = palm
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

That quote is more assuring that they ARE considering the smartphone space. But his latest quote all but kills any hope of the smartphone space continuing for webOS.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

You were the guy who didn't want anything to do with Google's Android because they weren't focused on smartphones, yes?
    Kinda makes me wish I would have picked up a Droid Incredible... I love WebOS even though it's extremely young but Android is starting to look better and better
    Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    Well, it's time...

I knew the Pre was a nice phone but needed some more apps, no way apps are coming out now.

It was fun but it's time to save up for something with a better future.
    I was riding the fence on scooping up an Evo online on Friday. This pretty much seals the deal for me. Evo it is.

Doesn't bother me in the least. I would like to see HP keep the Palm brand alive but they're right when it comes to WebOS. Leverage it in many different products and you'll have a winner. Maybe not a handset but a winner nonetheless.
    One, most of the articles out there got it from Precentral's front page (though the original source is CNet) so posting Gizmodo and Engadget links is a little bit silly.

But anyway, I'd be shocked if he didn't mean "we didn't buy Palm just to be in the smartphone business."

He says later in the quote that he wants a similar look and feel across many different web-connected devices, and again, I'd be shocked if smartphones aren't one of those types of devices he's talking about.

And quite frankly, I'm a little shocked to see a sensationalist article like this on the Precentral page in the first place.

But anyway, because of how this article or variations thereof are blowing up all over the place, I'd expect a clarification in the next few days where he more clearly states that while yes, they will be working on smartphones as well, that that's not their sole purpose for Palm. It doesn't even seem to me like there's any news in the statement, since they've been saying for a while that they want webOS on tablets, printers, phones, pretty much anything.

Let's all calm down, and see what actually happens before getting so riled up at something like this.
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast