Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    I hope you are right and Mark has a plan none of us understand. From I've read...it is hard to see what he's saying??? Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You are right.. no profit in smartphones... here is a quote from another HP exec:

"...Palm possesses significant IP assets and has a highly skilled team. The smartphone market is large, profitable and rapidly growing, and companies that can provide an integrated device and experience command a higher share. Advances in mobility are offering significant opportunities, and HP intends to be a leader in this market.

-Todd Bradley, executive vice president, Personal Systems Group, HP.
    No, there's a lot of profit potential in smartphones. The problem is there isn't any in selling WebOS smartphones -- it's too steep of an uphill climb.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I hope you are right and Mark has a plan none of us understand. From I've read...it is hard to see what he's saying??? Sorli...
    His plan seems really clear to me. There is a chasm in the tablet market that can be exploited because it's an emerging platform and he plans on leveraging the strengths of WebOS to take advantage of it.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Such fanboism here. I almost feel like this is an Apple forum.

Bottom line is, we will not see a WebOS phone in the near-future. That means that support for our current phones are on a path to demise. What that means to us is that we all need to pack up and go. Fortunately for us, the options out there are very good. Evo, new iPhone, new BBs, W7 phones, etc.

Who cares if WebOS is going to be in tablets, printers, etc. When I'm in the market for one of those, I'll consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    No, there's a lot of profit potential in smartphones. The problem is there isn't any in selling WebOS smartphones -- it's too steep of an uphill climb.
    I bet Apple, Inc is glad they did not share this defeatist attitude back when they were playing the role of "Palm" to Microsoft in the personal computer space.

yet, somehow they leveraged that niche market share into a tremendously valuable corporation.

Smartphone market is GROWING and FLUID. Look at how many are jumping to EVO because its 'hot spec'd'. People will jump to the next 'hot' item, too.

Plus, every day, there are NEW smartphone buyers entering the market. HP does not have to overtake Apple. Apple does not worry about overtaking Microsoft, either (in PC market).
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Completely agree with you. Unfortunately for Palm, the hardware killed any chance the WebOS had of making a significant impact in this competitive market. People associate WebOS as being slow, finicky, etc, when it wasn't all WebOS' fault. Should have thought this one through I guess.

Like the iPhone, Palm software and hardware are 100% connected. If the iPhone was as unreliable and cheap as the Palm Pre was, they wouldn't be where they are now.
    And I presume anyone driving a GM car sold it instantly when they found out that the Pontiac brand was being discontinued.

People, you've proven some intelligence by getting webOS, let's show some of it now.
    Actually, I see what you both mean and it does make since. The Smartphone market is being slammed, but the tablet market is in its youth and ready for great expansion. I just hope you both are right and HP still plans to make motions with webOS smartphone, tablet or otherwise. Hoping for the the best! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    I'll save the suspense for everyone... HP doesn't stand a chance.
    Why is this news?? They have been in the "smartphone" business, well sort of they IpAQ line. So it makes sense they aren't purchasing PALM to get into this sector of the business. BTW the fact that HP didn't close this Compaq division, should be a hint as to how they work.
    I'm just @ a lost right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Smartphone market is GROWING and FLUID. Look at how many are jumping to EVO because its 'hot spec'd'. People will jump to the next 'hot' item, too.

Plus, every day, there are NEW smartphone buyers entering the market. HP does not have to overtake Apple. Apple does not worry about overtaking Microsoft, either (in PC market).
    An HP-owned WebOS faces the same challenges as Palm's version. It's difficult to sell people on a WebOS smartphone when you can do so much more with Android phones and the iPhone.
    After reading the announcement, I really dont know what to say. All I can think of is that we bombard Palm Feedback, Palm Forums and Jon Rubinstein and have them make a statement clearing up what HP said.

I had my phone less than a year. I made recommendations to others on it. Now I look like an ***** because people were looking to get to know WebOS on a Palm Device and continue using this product as the phones continued to be upgraded. I was eventually planning on developing for WebOS as well. But if HP wants to leave the Smartphone market to WM7, then screw them for screwing us...
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    HP CEO Mark Hurd: "We Didn't Buy Palm To Be In The Smartphone Business"

"We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well."
    If there is no moderation in HP's position then Palm is truly dead. There will be a mass exodus from Palm and the most of the value that HP bought will evaporate.

This is one of the dumbest statements from a CEO I've ever heard.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    For Sure! For Sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Bottom line is, we will not see a WebOS phone in the near-future.
    The problem is, that is not what he said, by any stretch of the imagination.
    Is there a link to cancel my account? This is truly embarrassing.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/03/2010 at 12:18 AM.
  18.    #158  
    If the first couple of sentences didnt seem clear and people want to spin it, then read the other quote carefully...

"HP isn't going to 'spend billions of dollars trying to get into the smartphone business; that doesn't in any way make any sense.'"

They seem to imply they have billions to spend... but clear they are not going to spend the money to compete in the smartphone space.

I think the webos will be awesome in a tablet. Integrate it into TVs and Sony Dash type clocks... they have a bigger vision for Webos and I think many here will be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    If there is no moderation in HP's position then Palm is truly dead. There will be a mass exodus from Palm and the most of the value that HP bought will evaporate.

19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Is there a link to cancel my account? This is truly embarrassing.
    dial *2 from your phone and say "cancel service" at the voice prompt.
    The more I read the more I think to myself "damn people need to relax!" I really doubt HP spent 1 billions dollars on palm just to drop its smartphone support just like that. It just came out in Europe and at&t for gods sake!!
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast