Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    My wife told me the other day that she didn't buy the lemon trees to make lemonade. I was really, really sad, because I love lemonade. And then she told me she's also making lemon pie, lemon cake, lemon cookies, lemon pepper chicken, and many other yummy lemon foods.

And then I was happy again.
    You sir, are a genius. They should use your quote at the end and close this thread. Well said, and well played. I hope everyone reads this over several times... and then reads it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Aye, but you still didn't get the lemonade. The original thing you wanted. So every time you see the other lemon products, your gonna think to yourself that you want lemonade.
    Nope: lemonade is assumed. Of course you make lemonade from lemons. But that's not all you can make from lemons, and of course that's the point.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

He said... quote... ""We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business."

f
    So what? I do not get it. He does NOT say "We bought Palm to get it OUT of the smartphone business" either.

I do not get the problem. It is not expansive, but there is NOTHING, not ONE THING, in that statement that indicates they will NOT be in the smartphone business. Just that that was not the motivation for the purchase of Palm.

Its no stretch at all to see that HP bought Palm to expand in a LOT of web connected (including smartphones) devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This is starting to sound like presidential politics...
    Nope, it's worse.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Nope: lemonade is assumed. Of course you make lemonade from lemons. But that's not all you can make from lemons, and of course that's the point.
    Aye, I read it wrong. You sir. Have made me look foolish.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    so have i... actually dealing with product development and support for Compaq in the days of iPaq and IBM in the days of Thinkpad and part of what gets designed, what gets released and what gets axed. Your right about CEO... but in my experience... They blurt out the dumbest things... but they are also saying exactly what they mean when they do.
    Compaq is completely different. It was a direct competitor with a product line that fully overlapped. In a mature market. Not a brand new and unique technology acquired as a moment when the mobile paradigm is exploding so fast that anyone not already on the train, ain't taking the trip. Just ask Microsoft. They have just figured out how to make an MP3 player, and the have missed the integrated smartphone wave and the slate/tablet/pad wave... And they don't even realize it. There are no similarities between this and Compaq.
    This guy is probably fast asleep with no idea of the tempest in a teapot that is happening in the community that represents Palm's largest asset. And after all that has been done to communicate to HP that they need to take the members of this forum seriously, and increase the love they show for the homebrew community... he sees this? His first thoughts in the morning aren't going to be "wow, what would I do without the great folks at PreCentral and more than 300,000 members they serve. Remind me to invite them to review our plans for the future, and send them a big thank-you for being such a source of good information..."
    I think the Pre community is much smaller and less significant against HP's big picture than you think.

You seem to think HP should continue this downward spiral of WebOS smartphones as a favor to you and people who create homebrew for the platform. The problem with that is HP is in the business of making money. Nobody has ever made money selling WebOS smartphones. It's not a profitable business to be in.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    So what? I do not get it. He does NOT say "We bought Palm to get it OUT of the smartphone business" either.

I do not get the problem. It is not expansive, but there is NOTHING, not ONE THING, in that statement that indicates they will NOT be in the smartphone business. Just that that was not the motivation for the purchase of Palm.

Its no stretch at all to see that HP bought Palm to expand in a LOT of web connected (including smartphones) devices.
    Exactly. And also, HP could have been in the smartphone business WITHOUT buying Palm. They could have simply made Android or Win Phone 7 smartphones. His statement simply doesn't say everything that people are making it out to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Enjoy your 3-4 hour battery life. May as well just keep it plugged in 24-7
    I'll enjoy not having dropped calls...I've been with sprint for over 8yrs now. this past year with the pre was really bad...so many dropped calls. and i went throught 7 pre. it's a smart phone battery life will always suck. my pre has crappy battery life.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    This pretty much solidified my position to drop my pre as soon as a good wp7 device hits sprint..... I was probably going to do it anyways because of the zunepass/xbox live stuff but this is the nail in the coffin in terms of phones from palm.
    Hi all,

ALL THIS MEANS, IS WE ARE NOT ONLY GOING TO MAKE SMART PHONES!!! So sorry to YELL, but I had to get your attention! It was for your own good.

IT DOESN'T SAY WERE ARE NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY MORE SMART PHONES! Once again I had to shout this to all of you,

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Balzak View Post
    This whole Palm Pre fiasco is going to be a great business case study from start to finish.

1. Put the Porsche engine in a Miata (for the gender issue people).
    2. Claim its going to be the "Ferrari buster".
    3. Sell it in an Smart Car dealership.
    4. Sell the Miata for parts to GM.
    5. Have the CEO disown the Miata and state publicly that they will put the Porsche engine into toasters....
    Wow, that is fantastic and pretty accurate. But, you have to add the part about where all the current car owners paniced and drove into a ditch because they can't think for themselves...
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think the Pre community is much smaller and less significant against HP's big picture than you think.

You seem to think HP should continue this downward spiral of WebOS smartphones as a favor to you and people who create homebrew for the platform. The problem with that is HP is in the business of making money. Nobody has ever made money selling WebOS smartphones. It's not a profitable business to be in.
    Yep, just like Apple's user base means nothing to Steve Jobs. Nor has Apple ever lost money.

Your thought process is wrong on so many levels that I just can't believe it.
    Wow, that is fantastic and pretty accurate. But, you have to add the part about where all the current car owners paniced and drove into a ditch because they can't think for themselves...
    Okay. I was actually nodding my head "yes" and laughing while I read......then realized I am sitting alone and reading a computer screen.

Now, I am weeping and pouring myself a drink. Thanks a pant load!!
    Hi all,

This is an interesting thought and a great read.

Take care, Jay

Bombshell: HP bought Palm to compete with ChromeOS?
    Posted by Seth Weintraub
    June 2, 2010 8:21 PM

Bombshell: HP bought Palm to compete with ChromeOS? - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

HP CEO Mark Hurd today said that they didn't buy Palm to make smartphones. They bought Palm for the IP.

At a Merrill Lynch technology symposium today, Mark Hurd laid out his reasoning behind the purchase of Palm. To many peoples' surprise (mine at least), it has nothing to do with Smartphones. Hurd said:

We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well. We bought it for the IP. The WebOS is one of the two ground-up pieces of software that is built as a web operating environment…We have tens of millions of HP small form factor web-connected devices…Now imagine that being a web-connected environment where now you can get a common look and feel and a common set of services laid against that environment. That is a very value [sic] proposition.

First of all, that news has to be a downer for Palm Pre owners and fans. I'm not sure if HP plans to keep the smartphone wing of the business open, but saying "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business" isn't exactly what I want to hear when making a decision to purchase a Palm device.

The same goes for Palm developers, though the "tens of millions of Web Connected devices" that HP may be offering up may be enticing.

I am assuming here that when Hurd says "The WebOS is one of the two ground-up pieces of software that is built as a web operating environment" he means the other is ChromeOS. Technically he could also mean the iPhoneOS as well. But when most people think Web, they think ChromeOS.

Both Palm's webOS and ChromeOS are based on Linux but modified heavily to work efficiently in small devices. Apple's (AAPL) iPhone OS is based on its desktop OSX which, in turn is based on BSD.

When I think about the move, it now makes a lot of sense. Hurd is an extremely smart guy and he's done a fantastic job of running HP (HP) since he took over from Carly Fiorina.

These monster companies that HP sells tens of thousands of PCs to aren't going to want PCs in the very near future. They are going to want devices like Apple's iPad and Netbooks and desktops running stripped down browser OS devices where Google's (GOOG) ChromeOS will be very competitive.

HP also sells a lot of devices directly to consumers. HP sees the success of Apple's (AAPL) iPad and knows this device category is opening up in a big way and poses a threat to not just netbooks but also laptops and desktops as well.

Palm's $1.2 billion dollar purchase price buys HP control over the OS that goes on their devices and gives them the kind of integration innovation that Apple has on the iPad.

Microsoft's (MSFT) Steve Ballmer is said to have let go two of their big mobile devices executives on the news that HP bought Palm and would no longer be building mobile devices based on Microsoft's operating systems. This news backs that theory up in a big way.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  15.    #135  
    Very true... he didnt say it. He may let Palm run as a separate entity and they design and release Palm HP phones. But development of the phone and WebOS will be very different at this point.

Palm could keep making phones... but WebOS will be HPs. Palms development will depend on HP and what they do with WebOS...and palm will get their phone WebOS from HP. they have to follow whatever changes HP does to WebOS and palm will have to make it work for their phone.

HP will concentrate on tablet and whatever grand plan they have for it. If that is the case then it definitely wont be the same anymore. But his quote will be accurate. He bought the company for its IP... the phone market will not be the driving force.

we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post

HP makes ONE phone with EVO like stats and superior build quality...put webOS on it and its an entirely new ballgame.

Just ONE phone like that is all it takes. WebOS is not the failure. The hardware and marketing are. HP is much, much better (and more financially capable) than Palm ever was at that starting on day one.
    Yep, just like Apple's user base means nothing to Steve Jobs. Nor has Apple ever lost money.

Your thought process is wrong on so many levels that I just can't believe it.
    The difference is Apple makes products that people WANT. The past year has shown us that not many people want WebOS smartphones. How do you think Palm got into the position they were in before HP picked them up?

On the other hand, the tablet market is wide open.
    this may force me to get the EVO which i dont really want...
    this seriously ruined my day. Lets just hope this was a case of miscommunication.
    If you are SUPER NICE and like to help learning devs, click below =)

Thank You
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Forgot the lemming factor. Thanks!

I love my Miata and Im going to keep it until the body rusts

You are right.. no profit in smartphones... here is a quote from another HP exec:

"...Palm possesses significant IP assets and has a highly skilled team. The smartphone market is large, profitable and rapidly growing, and companies that can provide an integrated device and experience command a higher share. Advances in mobility are offering significant opportunities, and HP intends to be a leader in this market.”

-Todd Bradley, executive vice president, Personal Systems Group, HP.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast