Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree with you completely. As someone once said, "we have met the enemy, it it is us" or something like that.

Apple and Android couldn't BUY better PRPRPR $than$ $what$ $is$ $being$ $posted$ $here$, $along$ $with$ $the$ &$quot$;$going$ $to$ $EVO$&$quot$; $and$ &$quot$;$Palm$ $Needs$ $New$ $Hardware$ $or$ $Else$...&$quot$;

He is obviously talking about a much larger vision that certainly includes phones. How could anyone interpret this as anything less than his grand vision? I brag about the webOS community to all of my tech friends, and they are amazed at the passion, productivity, etc. that has collected around webOS. Please, let's get ourselves under control... Our reaction says a lot more about us than this statement says about HP.

Another quote to remember:

People are often not remembered by what they stand for, but what they fall for...
    +1
    Forum members, we understand that some emotions are being released upon the boards. Please keep your opinions clean & tasteful. No need for colorful metaphors. Thanks!!!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    After careful consideration:

I think this latest speech by Mr. Hurd was a major misrepresentation, and not representative of what HP's intentions are for WebOS and smartphones; my guess is that he would likely want to take these words back and replace them with more concise ones, .. .ones that the rest of the world, NOT just the IB investing professionals at Bank of America, are listening to.

The problem here, is, of course, that even if he "mispoke", and HP does plan to continue smartphone development strongly (as I suspect they do), this little "oopsie" just gave reason to;

1. The thousands of current and potential WebOS developlers to stop thier work, or stop pursuing the posiblility of WebOS development work, at least temporarily, if not altogether.

2. Make up the minds of the many, many users and potential users of a Pixie or Pre that have been on the fence about what their next device should be with some very impressive new smartphones becomeing availabile for sale, momentarily, to NOT chose to buy a current WebOS smartphone, and/or to NOT conisder waiting for a new one to come out.

This damage is done, and the longer this goes without any clarification from HP, the worse the damage becomes, and the bigger the hole they are digging for themselves, when in fact, they could have been setting the ground for a very firm launch.

IMO, a HUGE public blunder.

If I were John R., I'd be burning up the phone line to HP headquarters, because, they just made HIS job to continue to successfully run the Palm division under HP, 2x as difficult.

Caviat: just in case he really did mean that all they cared about was the Palm IP and that they really won't be pursuing the smartphone market at all, well, that is complete and total stupidity:

3.2 billion cell phone users in the world, and of them, I believe the latest statistics are that only 200 million+/- of them are smartphones - sure, it makes TOTAL sense to leave a potentiall large share of that remaining 3 billion potential smartphone users market to the others, just so that you can concnetrate on selling "tens of millions of connnected devices".

Somehow, I just don't think so...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm not defending his poor choice of words, but I couldn't disagree with you more. What isn't resonating well is that he has a bigger and grander intention that includes all things mobile and connected. On what planet would a Smartphone not be at the center of this? He is trying to set expectations that the value of this strategic move should not be measured just on short-term Palm phone sales...
    Now your twisting his "not resonating" quote to fit what you hope happens. Isn't that pretty much the meaning of something "not resonating"?

Now let me say, I'm praying this gets clarified and you are exactly right. But, I can easily see a scenario where they don't think WebOS on phones is a moneymaker. Simply put, it has already failed once, and the smart phone market is much tougher then it was just a year ago. Palm bet everything on it and lost. Perhaps they envision a relaunch with a WebOS tablet as the centerpiece?
    Okay, My Wife and I Just Bought a pair of Pres at Verizon.

We are approaching the end of our "30-day return period."

Overall, I'm very happy with WebOs and the Pre.

But, with Hurd's announcement, I'm wondering what the sentiment of the PreCentral Group is...

Should I:

A. Go to Verizon first thing tomorrow and return them Pres in favor of a Droid

or

B. Stay the course to wait for HP do clarify

or

C. Another option.

Interested in your opinions, but not smart enough to create a true poll.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    It seems HP bought Palm for WebOS and the appstore and sees it developed enough to be what they need to get into tablet and in my opinion they will put main emphasis on TABLET... (He) didn't buy palm to be in the smartphone business"

Palm is not officially owned by HP so they have to go business as usual and keep selling phones... who knows... things could break down at last second. Until the papers have been signed, palm keeps selling phones.

Funny thing, Steve Jobs mentioned the iphone and said the original intent was for tablet but when he saw the potential for iphone and tablet not ready, he shelves the tablet and sells the phone and then afterwards he proceeds with the tablet.

Is the webos smartphone absolutely dead? not sure yet... but it's a twist that hp looks to be buying a phone and it's os to go tablet and i think they feel that's the best route to get penetration with the iphone and android already being too dominant. if they get a piece of the tablet market... then i see them looking at the phone again...

but for now, i think they will go full throttle on tablet, shelve the phone and revisit it later if they survive the tablet wars.

just my opinion.
    Perhaps. But I want to believe VERY BADLY!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The comment is confusing. Taking the quote in context of the other HP discussions on the merger (see quotes from their conference call and also a Forbes article below) seems to clarify that smartphones are a part of the picture, although perhaps ones that enable calls over telephony will just be a small part of a bigger ecosystem. So its a matter of emphasis.

I'm wondering if they might then introduce "phone" devices that use internet to drive calls and video conferencing but don't connect to the telephony infrastructure. Or they might just bundle their "phones" in with all their tablet etc devices that will connect to the HP data center cloud for businesses and they will make huge sales that way and eventually leave the consumer phone business to others to battle out while HP tries to dominate enterprise.

*In the conference call in which HP/Palm announced the merger,
    they clearly said they would be in smartphones (see excerpts at bottom of this post and additional quotes from a post I just wrote on pg2 of another forum
    (http://forums.precentral.net/future-...ml#post2485635)

*I also looked up a Forbes article on the merger. Elevation Partners owns a piece of Forbes so presumably Forbes talked to the sources before they wrote their piece. The article is entitled "Palm is about Futures, not Phones."

An excerpt from the article explains:
    "Palm's backer Elevation Partners championed Palm's webOS as something that would start in phones but move into all kinds of Internet devices. The first consumer products were the Pre and the Pixi, which were nicely reviewed but had insufficient consumer uptake to get Palm the cash to build more. HP, with $13.5 billion in cash and distribution channels of all sorts, in 170 countries, is not so constrained. (Disclosure: Elevation Partners, which has a stake in Palm, ( PALM - news - people ) is also a shareholder in Forbes Media.)

"Smartphones are a part of this, but this is really about the Web operating system," Shane Robison, HP's chief strategy and technology officer, told Forbes. "It's a change in our business model to a connected device model." HP, he said, is assuming a world in which almost everything needs at least the potential to connect to the Internet."
    HP: Palm Is About Future, Not Phones - Forbes.com

Excerpts from conference call (bold is my formatting)
    FINAL TRANSCRIPT
    Apr. 28. 2010 / 9:00PM, HPQ - Hewlett-Packard to Acquire Palm Conference Call

Todd Bradley - Hewlett-Packard - EVP, Personal Systems Group:
    Please turn to slide five, if you will. This market presents a significant opportunity for profitable growth. The smartphone market alone is over $100 billion and growing over 20%. We see further opportunities beyond smart phones into additional connected mobile form factors. We anticipate that with the webOS we will be able to aggressively deploy an integrated platform that will allow HP to own the entire customer experience, to effectively nurture and grow the developer community, and to provide a rich, valued experience for our customers. With Palm HP acquires a strong operating system to deliver a unique customer experience in applications to over 2000 apps and growing, a platform to deliver mobile cloud-based services, and an opportunity to drive preference in the market among consumers...

Richard Gardner - Citigroup - Analyst
    Well, I guess the big picture question is why acquire your own operating environment as opposed to simply building products based on Android, which seems to have a tremendous amount of momentum in the marketplace and a much bigger development community today?
    And then secondarily, I was hoping you could touch on dilution/accretion from the deal and any cost synergy opportunities.

Jim Burns - Hewlett-Packard - VP, IR
    We are going to be increasing that. We're going to be increasing the sales and marketing also. So we are going to be taking this platform, which today exists in smartphones and taking it much broader than that. We are going to be taking -- putting more money behind the sales and marketing commitment of it, and so we are definitely going to be investing heavily in this business in the next year.
    This never ends well. Just look up other threads on this and make your decision.

I mean I say go with one of the Droids because I prefer android, and they will say stay with Pre because they prefer webos. In the end you're just going to have to make a decision for yourself.
    Htc evo
    I think everyone is trying too hard to rationalize this into something more palatable. It sounds to me like HP isn't in the business of losing money and selling WebOS smartphones in a market dominated by Apple and Google is a losing proposition. On the other hand, WebOS could have a profitable future in other form factors. That's not so bad, is it?
    Great post, Bluenote. It frames the discussion well. What just doesn't make sense is the "not resonating" quote. If it's all part of a grand scheme that includes smart phones then what isn't resonating? We all know they want to push WebOS on tablets and printers etc. We already see the grand vision and synergy they hope for. So what isn't resonating if the plan includes smart phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_bob View Post
    Htc evo
    Worst advice possible
    The GPS is fubar on Verizon so I would say get somethig else for that alone. If you were on AT&T or Sprint, though, I would say stay since as a person on a Pre board, I clearly prefer webOS rather than Android.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    Now your twisting his "not resonating" quote to fit what you hope happens. Isn't that pretty much the meaning of something "not resonating"?

Now let me say, I'm praying this gets clarified and you are exactly right. But, I can easily see a scenario where they don't think WebOS on phones is a moneymaker. Simply put, it has already failed once, and the smart phone market is much tougher then it was just a year ago. Palm bet everything on it and lost. Perhaps they envision a relaunch with a WebOS tablet as the centerpiece?
    I am not twisting or hoping. I've been in the tech business for over 20 years. I've seen this movie before. I have seen the alternate endings on the "Directors Cut" collectors edition. I'm not defending the statement by HP, but I am betting two things. This is sensational journalism out of context, and if this was intended by the CEO to say they don't care about webOS phones - he could never even have risen to become the CEO of a local PTA.

I think it's fine if we all e-mail him for clarification, but let's not panic and put words in his mouth. The quote I was responding to was doing both of those.

Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs must be laughing their heads off over the way this community over-reacts. I'm REALLY disappointed at the way PreCentral decided to report on this, as well. They are chasing away the users that are the very reason to exist. I am really saddened by this...
    <<threads merged>>
    Excelletn post Bluenote. I think we all need to cool our jets and wait to see what will really happen in the future.
    wasnt there an article that states how HP will allow Palm to function on its own, as normal, something along that line?
  18.    #98  
    "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well. We bought it for the IP. The WebOS is one of the two ground-up pieces of software that is built as a web operating environment."

What's not resonating is that people are not taking the first sentence for what it is... word for word.

They bought the company for the IP... for the WebOS... and everything connected to it like appstore. They are at the beginnings of trying to create a new ecosystem to go against apples ecosystem and googles upcoming ecosystem. Its the ecosystem that ties all the products together and makes one stuck to a product.

Tablet looks like the new frontier... time will tell and have to watch and see. Bt HP will not do well to take their investment in WebOs and go into phones... they have a much better chance at tablet first and then go from there. It's not about the phone... it's about WebOS.

time will tell.

Great post, Bluenote. It frames the discussion well. What just doesn't make sense is the "not resonating" quote. If it's all part of a grand scheme that includes smart phones then what isn't resonating? We all know they want to push WebOS on tablets and printers etc. We already see the grand vision and synergy they hope for. So what isn't resonating if the plan includes smart phones?
    Cantaffordit...

Don't blame Precentral.. they are just reporting what has been reported...

It's possible that Deiter COULD have contacted (or attempted to contact) HP to confirm what apparently was implied and therefore, what most people would likely interpret, prior to running this on their front page, but, no one is perfect, and, engadget ran it as well.

Make no mistake, ... just as per my post above.. I believe, sincerely, that Hurd mis-spoke, probably more intent on speaking to the investment bankers than to the consumers and potential consumer... but, this has caused some damage, and is a "blunder", and needs to be fixed, asap.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Yes, I agree. It may be that today's story is the dominance of the smartphone as driven by Apple and the social networking facebook driven activity and this resonates with people very well. So HP moving smartphones into a sidepiece of their story doesn't excite people, especially as servers, cloud data centers etc are not so sexy today. But HP may see these as the future of an environment in which everything is connected via internet and the mobile devices that connect into them run webos.
    What I'm not sure is where the "phone"--ie the voice piece-fits in. Will HP at some point only support voice conversation over the internet? If HP today supports a telephony device from Palm as an initial driver into webos, how big of an investment does it need to stay in the business? Can it be half committed in a world where Apple and Google are totally committed?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast