Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Everyone needs to take a giant "Chill Pill"

It's been commented on in other posts already but please consider (assuming that HP management is not totally stupid):

1) Their chances of being successful with a Tablet that will make a dent in the market with NO SOFTWARE is slim to none. Apple had a huge iPhone base to leverage their iPad launch. A phone, while not a stand alone strategy, is a much easier market to make headway in than the nascent tablet market. There are lots of other tablets further along in development. And a WebOS printer... seriously? Is that going to drive anyone to pick an HP over any other brand. The one thing I don't like about HP (they do other things well) is their consumer printers that measure ink usage by the dollar

2) The Palm name as a brand is not the most important thing, nor is their existence as a stand alone company (US Robotics, 3Com anyone remember those?)

3) They have a phone brand that, while not selling as much as others has sold at least 1 million units, is on multiple carriers and overseas as well. Those relationships are important. They would be stupid to toss that aside. Even laptops and tablets are finding the most success when they have a relationship with a wireless carrier. Who still buys a standalone PDA?

4) It it widely agreed that the biggest problem with Palm brand is the quality of the hardware. Other than that, it has received much praise as a technically sound overall OS with MUCH potential
    (trolls - I didn't say perfect, so stay under your bridge)
    Unless HP has more money and ego than common sense; why would they punt that away and start from scratch? And again, does it really matter if it has the same name as their previous product.

5) The smartphone 'wars' are far from over. Almost all experts say that the vast majority of phones are yet to be sold. About 18 months ago, it was all iPhone, now suddenly everyone is calling Android the heir apparent. Palm has a tremendous amount of critical acclaim, it would not be hard to turn that into increased sales. (Better hardware and better marketing would easily do it)

All of this being said, there is no guarantee that HP will have the wisdom that seems to be common sense to everyone else. It's a common human fault to sometimes do things the hard way just to say you've done it your way. When you are successful you are lauded as a genius. But more often than not it just ends badly. I hope that will not be the case here.
    Last edited by C-Note; 06/02/2010 at 08:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    maybe ceo's might not like getting a ton of emails giving suggestions... just a thought.

AT&T warns customer that emailing the CEO will result in a cease and desist letter -- Engadget
    Funniest thing I've seen in a while! haha... They are public figures and there is a precedent set for sending letters of opinion to heads of companies. As long as you are NOT RUDE and do not threaten harm in any way (except to not purchase or promote the company), there is nothing they can do and cannot send a cease and desist letter. That statement was simply the higher-ups trying to stop the tide of letters before they came. I'm sure it will stop some who don't know better, but most will hopefully see this for what it is - a bluff to keep letters from coming in.
  3.    #63  
    i understand... just that if you say that 'everyone should send him an email'... then he will get a lot of emails that may not make him really happy. just a thought. ceo's dont really like receiving suggestions... they prefer to be the ones giving them

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The article says that it was for sending more than one email to At&T. I sent one email.

- Criag
    He stopped short of saying "you'll never see another WebOS phone", but barely. At this point I'm kind of hoping we can just get a confirmed "that's all folks" to put us out of our misery.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    WebOs is the best cell phone OS available. HP paid a lot for Palm. It makes no sense at all that HP would pay so much for something it doesn't want and won't develop.

It is easy to jump to conclusions -- just not wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I doubt they are going to stop making phones, I think what they where trying to say is this: We didn't spend 1.2 dollars to buy a companies, then spend more money to get into the smartphone business. What we did is spend 1.2 billion to have a platform we can call our own. Use it across table its, printers, and cellphones, so users don't have to keep learning new os's...

I think what he meant to say (and i expect some clarification soon), is that the smartphone business alone wasn't worth 1.2 billion to hp. But when you have that, and all these other markets, it makes it one heck of a deal.
    I agree with this pretty much 100%. And remember, the buy was talking to investors--it's their $1.2 billion that he's spending.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    This is the same fella who 6-12 months back was saying HP is not in the smartphone game, and is planning to "leapfrog" the industry by focusing on the Tablet scene.

Well, jolly well done, Sir! A definite captain of industry... miss the mark on your Slate, give the market to Apple, AND screw over your investors who just plunked down $1.5B (yes, Sir - the "B" word) for Palm.

I actually used to think he was quite smart!

The WebOS "Connected Appliance" play was a given, but why slag Palm's mainstay to-date.

I really do hope it was simply an unplanned outburst, but I am having my doubts about how much longer I'll be Palm'ing!
    So you're saying that if HP were to focus on smartphones to the exclusion of everything else that would benefit from webOS, then that would be the smart play?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Business 101...

The Board of Directors better have a talk with this *****... who spends a billion dollars on a phone company then says... naaaa we aren't looking into getting into a BOOMING cell phone business... why on earth would we a develop a phone that can actually print documents and emails directly from the phone? and advertise a TRUE phone that you can work from?

Get rid of this ***** or at LEAST educate him on politics!!! and what to say.. WebOS isn't ready yet for a tablet we don't even have a document editor... and he's going around saying this?

He should be saying we are working on some amazing things and SYNERGY!!! SYNERGY with printers!!! synergy with your TV SYNERGY with EVERYTHING!!

Thats what he should be saying... what a moron
    To everyone saying people need to calm down and coming up with ways to convince themselves HP wants to make WebOS phones. Did you miss this quote?

"And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well."

Doesn't seem like it's resonating well here either. I'm sorry guys, but even if WebOS phones aren't killed, they sure as hell aren't the focus anymore. I'm not buying a phone where I have to worry about getting an OS update 2 months after my printer.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Business 101...

The Board of Directors better have a talk with this *****... who spends a billion dollars on a phone company then says... naaaa we aren't looking into getting into a BOOMING cell phone business... why on earth would we a develop a phone that can actually print documents and emails directly from the phone? and advertise a TRUE phone that you can work from?

Get rid of this ***** or at LEAST educate him on politics!!! and what to say.. WebOS isn't ready for a tablet we don't even have a document editor...
    "Give this student a gold star..."
  11.    #71  
    It seems HP bought Palm for WebOS and the appstore and sees it developed enough to be what they need to get into tablet and in my opinion they will put main emphasis on TABLET... (He) didn't buy palm to be in the smartphone business"

Palm is not officially owned by HP so they have to go business as usual and keep selling phones... who knows... things could break down at last second. Until the papers have been signed, palm keeps selling phones.

Funny thing, Steve Jobs mentioned the iphone and said the original intent was for tablet but when he saw the potential for iphone and tablet not ready, he shelves the tablet and sells the phone and then afterwards he proceeds with the tablet.

Is the webos smartphone absolutely dead? not sure yet... but it's a twist that hp looks to be buying a phone and it's os to go tablet and i think they feel that's the best route to get penetration with the iphone and android already being too dominant. if they get a piece of the tablet market... then i see them looking at the phone again...

but for now, i think they will go full throttle on tablet, shelve the phone and revisit it later if they survive the tablet wars.

just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think everyone is taking this way beyond what it means. Some facts:
    1. HP is already in the smartphone business, albeit minimally, even without Palm
    2. Palm is not going to stop selling smartphones in July--they JUST launched on AT&T--so they will be even more in the smartphone business after acquiring Palm
    3. He was speaking about the motivation for spending the money on Palm (and to get to BillionS, he is also considering future investment in Palm) NOT their future roadmap necessarily.

So, he could not have meant that they are not going to be in the smartphone business, because they already are. He definitely did mean that the prize they were going for in the acquisition was not the smartphone business. But that's not to say that they aren't going to be continuing the smartphone business. He just didn't say that. And it doesn't make sense. The easiest way for them to begin to get a return on their investment in Palm and webOS is smartphones because so much has been done already.

This was a statement that was made to compare the relative size of the potential business in other stuff as compared to the potential business in smartphones. They see smartphones as a stepping stone to something much bigger, and it's that potential that they are investing in.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    @ HelloNNNewman

Exactly. I've never seen so much Pre-mature overreaction. Sheesh. Worded inelligantly (perhaps), but hardly a declaration of abandonment.

I am far more disheartened by the community's reaction than the actual comments.
    I agree with you completely. As someone once said, "we have met the enemy, it it is us" or something like that.

Apple and Android couldn't BUY better PRPRPR $than$ $what$ $is$ $being$ $posted$ $here$, $along$ $with$ $the$ &$quot$;$going$ $to$ $EVO$&$quot$; $and$ &$quot$;$Palm$ $Needs$ $New$ $Hardware$ $or$ $Else$...&$quot$;

He is obviously talking about a much larger vision that certainly includes phones. How could anyone interpret this as anything less than his grand vision? I brag about the webOS community to all of my tech friends, and they are amazed at the passion, productivity, etc. that has collected around webOS. Please, let's get ourselves under control... Our reaction says a lot more about us than this statement says about HP.

Another quote to remember:

People are often not remembered by what they stand for, but what they fall for...
    LOL end for palm phones hope we get c4 . I was going evo any way
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Well, except for one thing: this isn't what he said.
    I knew HTC should of brought Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    To everyone saying people need to calm down and coming up with ways to convince themselves HP wants to make WebOS phones. Did you miss this quote?

Doesn't seem like it's resonating well here either. I'm sorry guys, but even if WebOS phones aren't killed, they sure as hell aren't the focus anymore. I'm not buying a phone where I have to worry about getting an OS update 2 months after my printer.
    I'm not defending his poor choice of words, but I couldn't disagree with you more. What isn't resonating well is that he has a bigger and grander intention that includes all things mobile and connected. On what planet would a Smartphone not be at the center of this? He is trying to set expectations that the value of this strategic move should not be measured just on short-term Palm phone sales...
    I hope this isn't true. But if he is being literal, today is a sad day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Nope... I'll stick with my Pre for the phone and an ipad for everything else.
    Well, then, you'll miss something awesome when the rest of us are pairing our next-gen webOS smartphones with our webOS tablets and enjoying Synergy connecting both of them together. Oh, and scanning from our webOS multifunction devices into our Palm profile, and printing from our devices, and etc., etc., etc.

HP has a vision of integrating all of these platforms together with a single consistent mobile operating system. Why people think this is a bad thing is beyond me. That's the business that HP bought Palm to get into, not smartphones.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    There is nothing like putting a torpedo into an already sinking ship. Palm is dead, lets move along, nothing to see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post

It's called politics. It easier to convince people who matter (investors) that you are going to be in front of the next big thing (implicit in that is 'and we will all make a killing' ) than it is to calm their jitters over picking up a struggling smartphone company.

There is no more easy money in this business. Palm was the last 'mom and pop' business (if you can call a billion dollar company Mom and Pop). All the other players have invested vaults full of money on their respective products... money made from their other ventures.

Android has changed the game by merely supplying the OS and letting the manufacturers fight it out (Motorola, HTC, etc) They win either way.

Apple will be overrun by them unless they:
    1) move to more carriers and
    2) come out with various form factors.

Perhaps HP, who can deploy a hybrid of those two approaches, is not willing to play the game. That would be sad, they could bring the tight integration of hardware and software like Apple and the broad multi-carrier reach and multiple form factors of Android. That IMHO is the only other clear path, anything else give lower odds of success.

If they do bail, I feel sorry for them and their WebOS printers. Good luck selling those.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast