Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You were the guy who didn't want anything to do with Google's Android because they weren't focused on smartphones, yes?
    More generally, my point has always been: I don't like Google's Android because Google is in the business of selling ads. Android is a platform to drive users to Google properties so they can click on said ads. HP is a technology company first and foremost, not an advertising company (or, in the case of Apple, a consumer products and media distribution company).

ALL of this crap is being taken out of context and misrepresented in the press.

Read the Hurd quote I referenced here again. Then compare that to what he said today. Same exact meaning: HP isn't buying Palm to get into the smartphone business. They're buying Palm to put webOS on a whole bunch of mobile Web-connected devices, including smartphones.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think the knee jerk reactions are a little over the top, heck it really doesn't make sense to kill the webos platform so soon. AT&T just got it a few weeks ago and didn't a few european carriers including bell canada just get the plus like within 24 hours ago?
    ouch
    Everybody send Mark Hurd an email. Go to google and type in "HP CEO". Its takes you to his email. Let him know how we feel!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/02/2010 at 09:02 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Now THIS is what you send emails about!!!

Not this http://forums.precentral.net/general...re-idiots.html
    A quick thought:

Maybe Hurd was talking that HP will NOT get into the smartphone business, but they will let PALM operate in its own entity and they will REMAIN in the smartphone business, just food for thought.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    He was taken out of context. Trust me they will still be a major player in the smartphone business.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    What makes Palm a "smarrtphone" company? sure they sell phones now but their start is in PDAs which is essentially TABLETS.

I think webos is fantastic but it may be too late to get in the smartphone fight... But early enough to be a tablet competitor. So I hope that's their direction because it's definitely more exciting than multitasking print queues.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/02/2010 at 09:03 PM.
  9.    #29  
    "hp is not spending billions to get into the smartphone business"

hp = palm = not getting into the smartphone business.

if palm was a separate entity, "hp is (still) not spending billions to get into the smartphone business" = meaning no billions to palm = no business.

Very clear... HP wanted WebOS and the developing appstore to go into tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    A quick thought:

Maybe Hurd was talking that HP will NOT get into the smartphone business, but they will let PALM operate in its own entity and they will REMAIN in the smartphone business, just food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

if palm was a separate entity, "hp is (still) not spending billions to get into the smartphone business" = meaning no billions to palm = no business.

No, I dont think it as clear as you state. Time will tell. Time will also tell if I am going to remain with Palm as a smartphone or will defect to the EVO or iphone is if ever comes out for sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    What makes Palm a "smarrtphone" company? sure they sell phones now but their start is in PDAs which is essentially TABLETS.

I think webos is fantastic but it may be too late to get in the smartphone fight... But early enough to be a tablet competitor. So I hope that's their direction because it's definitely more exciting than multitasking print queues.
    That's a great point. Ruby even said well before an acquisition was even a topic that Palm wasn't focused only on smartphones. They've planned all along to put webOS on more form factors, including tablets. Indeed, I think it's obvious looking at webOS that it's not even necessarily primarily designed for smartphones.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Everybody fire this guy an email. Go to google and type in "HP CEO". Its takes you to his email. Let him know how we feel!
    Here's what I told this moron:
    Think before you speak. Destroying Palm before you even finish buying it was not one of your smarter ideas. I guess I won't be bothering with WebOS on a tablet if I have to use something else on my phone. I'll go with an iPad before giving you another dime.

Read the Hurd quote I referenced again, then see if what you're saying makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

So, over the past couple years, please tell me what palm has sold? Better yet, how much R&D money did they spend for products that were not smartphones? Palm has evolved into the smartphone business and thats what they are today.
  15.    #35  
    palm is going back to it's roots. palm was not a smartphone company first... they made pda's. i guess the natural evolution of the pda would be tablet eh?

No, I dont think it as clear as you state. Time will tell. Time will also tell if I am going to remain with Palm as a smartphone or will defect to the EVO or iphone is if ever comes out for sprint.
    Well, that's a humiliating kick in the crotch.
    palm is going back to it's roots. palm was not a smartphone company first... they made pda's. i guess the natural evolution of the pda would be tablet eh?
    But why? WHy would they go back to their roots? No one wants a pda anymore. Thats why the smartPHONE business is growing as fast as it is. People want ONE device that does most of their tasks. Ipad, etc are luxury items. All I need and want is a Laptop for my research, etc. and a phone that can handle my tasks, calendar, email, casual web browsing, causal banking, etc, and you know, make phone calls.

Why would anybody today want to carry around a PDA, Smartphone, Tablet, and Laptop?
    But why? WHy would they go back to their roots? No one wants a pda anymore. Thats why the smartPHONE business is growing as fast as it is. People want ONE device that does most of their tasks. Ipad, etc are luxury items. All I need and want is a Laptop for my research, etc. and a phone that can handle my tasks, calendar, email, casual web browsing, causal banking, etc, and you know, make phone calls.

Why would anybody today want to carry around a PDA, Smartphone, Tablet, and Laptop?
    +1

I like a phone that can handle most things in one device.
    I think the EVO's larger screen makes that task a little bit easier...
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Regarding the front page story posted here:

Tell them your opinion on the matter. If its true or not that webOS smart phones are dead, flood them with comments about how webOS should continue on smart phones.

Contact information:

Corporate office numbers for HP

Also, their corporate office for the United States is in Houston, their numbers given me by an HP support person:

phone: 281-370-0670
    fax: 281-514-1740

Physical address:

20555 HW 249
    Houston, TX 77070

Report back here your results and your best practices to get through to a live person to leave a comment.

Be positive, encourage webOS phones, remind them that with the many devices they intend to support with webOS, what better way to tie them together than with your webOS phone.

Admins, PLEASE sticky this thread, we need to flood the gates with feedback.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Not until palm makes a announcement.
    there is no more palm. you'll be waiting a while for your announcement,
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast