Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718
    like robert stephens (founder of Geek Squad) said to me last time.....everything in the future will be web connected and talk to everything in your home and take care of itself. your TV will have an OS, your washer and dryer, etc. So now, its time to get headed that direction....ChromeOS and WebOS are those two directions.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    There has been talk recently of additional Precentral membership categories. All I can say is that after yesterday's postings there a few more nominations for the 'dipstick' category.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    There has been talk recently of additional Precentral membership categories. All I can say is that after yesterday's postings there a few more nominations for the 'dipstick' category.
    +1000
    the worste part was the way a few developers reacted. Geesh
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    HP says it's in the smartphone market, after all -- Engadget

YAY! I love webos but the pre has the build quality of a Kia
    Damn, I own a Kia and I have a Palm Pre with a Touchstone mount in said Kia.

I hope I don't get in an accident... :S
    LOL, look at the source.
    "where mac news comes first"
    This signature for rent
    I thought everyone would get a kick out of it
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    Actually, just to play Devil's Advocate, I suspect that one of the reasons HP and Mark Hurd have moved QUICKLY clarify and restate their smartphone position.....MAY have something to do with the fact that Mr. Hurd probably received somewhere between a few hundred and a few thousand irate emails from Pre users on precentral - and did what all smart executives do: he listened to the end-users.
    If Hurd actually received 1 email per day from each member of the HP executive staff, it would exceed the number of emails this forum probably generated. Trust me, he didn't see a single email from here and the email address you all used is managed by a couple of his staff members on the side. Someone else at HP probably responded to a Topolsky email/phone call with the clarification ... While scratching his head wondering why so many gullible people were willing to take a small quote so far out of context. I'll bet they're still getting a big laugh out of the whole situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the worste part was the way a few developers reacted. Geesh
    That concern won't go away for the foreseeable future. The road ahead for WebOS is still so murky, developers trying to make a living will take their skills and apply them to a more sure thing and WebOS will remain the platform for hobbyists and oh-by-the-way converted programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    I'll enjoy not having dropped calls...I've been with sprint for over 8yrs now. this past year with the pre was really bad...so many dropped calls. and i went throught 7 pre. it's a smart phone battery life will always suck. my pre has crappy battery life.
    I know this is a little off topic but my phone doesn't drop calls. I find it's usually the carrier that these issues come from. I use Bell in Canada and find better coverage in my city than Telus the other main carrier I used to be with. As for battery life... sure the Pre may have 8-20hr battery life but man 3-4 hours? That to me is unusable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    If Hurd actually received 1 email per day from each member of the HP executive staff, it would exceed the number of emails this forum probably generated. Trust me, he didn't see a single email from here and the email address you all used is managed by a couple of his staff members on the side. Someone else at HP probably responded to a Topolsky email/phone call with the clarification ... While scratching his head wondering why so many gullible people were willing to take a small quote so far out of context. I'll bet they're still getting a big laugh out of the whole situation.
    I'm not so sure about that one. Making a comment that could hurt potential sales of a company they just purchased would not really be a laughing matter from a money perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I know this is a little off topic but my phone doesn't drop calls. I find it's usually the carrier that these issues come from. I use Bell in Canada and find better coverage in my city than Telus the other main carrier I used to be with. As for battery life... sure the Pre may have 8-20hr battery life but man 3-4 hours? That to me is unusable.
    where did u get the 3-4hrs info from? my pre doesn't last 8-20hrs. and like i said before. i've been with sprint for 8yrs now. and the pre was the only phone that would drop calls.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Now life at Precentral can get back to normal.
    Yeah...the NEXT CRISIS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That concern won't go away for the foreseeable future. The road ahead for WebOS is still so murky, developers trying to make a living will take their skills and apply them to a more sure thing and WebOS will remain the platform for hobbyists and oh-by-the-way converted programs.
    Concern is fine. We all can be concerned. And we all are concerned because we all want webOS to succeed. But, yelling "fire" in a movie theater never ends well. Developers benefit most from calm users. Stirring them up creates a self-fulfilling prophecy by chasing them away or discouraging them from purchasing apps. And just a few days before the grass-roots "Buy an App Day" this Sunday? Excellent timing. I still plan to buy apps on Sunday, but I'll pay closer attention to who's (whose?) apps I buy. Developers shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them.

P|C members listen very closely to what developers say. Much more so than to regular old users like me. When developers speak, you have to remember that it carries weight and authority 10 times what anyone else says. Same thing goes for P|C editors. The pandemonium of the last few days shows that.

Ironically, the panic response to the CEO's remarks were just as foolish as the way it was reported. The second P|C article that seemed to calm everyone somewhat while waiting for HP to clarify... was already on the web before the first provocative headline was published. What ever happened to context? What ever happened to having at least two sources before publishing a story?

As thinking people, we owe it to ourselves and those we influence to check things before we react. The next time this community wants to communicate something to Palm or HP, do you think Palm or HP will take us more seriously? I think they will be inclined to pay less attention and say, "there they go again..."

Do you think the chaos made it easier or harder for developer relations at Palm to promote the causes that benefit the developers? I hope that dev relations found a back channel method for expressing the embarrassment they must have enjoyed.

How do you think Apple would have responded to developers that contributed to such panic? Do you think it would increase the visibility of their apps in the Apple ecosystem? Palm isn't punitive like Apple, and that openness was taken advantage of. Do you think Adobe has improved their reputation by the way they have handled their disputes? Did you see Steve Ballmer creating panic posts in Microsoft forums when HP cancelled the Win7 tablet he showed at the Win7 launch? I'm sure he expressed his concern to HP, but not by stirring up the users in his various forums.

Anyone that wants to make money in the digital ecosystem that is emerging around smartphone market places... has a significant responsibility to behave professionally. They have to recognize they have a "virtual microphone" and what they say carries more weight than what someone like me would say. Isn't there a line from a movie like that? Something like "with great power comes great responsibility"...

That's just my opinion. But perhaps it's worth pondering...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/04/2010 at 09:26 AM.
    We are at a point where we are deleting more posts than we can keep.

Everyone has stated their point of view.

It is time to close this thread.

- Craig