Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
  1.    #261  
    you just realized they bought palm for the $ and not for the great palm fans?
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/03/2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Language in quote
    Why should HP cares about us? We are extremely small number compare to any smartphone owners out there. Even if HP pull the plug on Pre to stop making it, it won't effect HP's reputation or their earning. They got what they want, IP.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/03/2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Language in quote
    Here is the likely bottom line for HP with the Palm acquisition. They plan on making WebOS the center of an interconnected world. Don't forget, HP runs things like Snapfish, etc. They envision an OS that leverages cloud-based services to the extreme. Imagine storing your photos on snapfish, but then printing from your HP Photosmart printer via your WebOS tablet or phone (Pre). Given the nature of the cloud, HP has no choice but to include phones in their interconnected world of devices.

The rub is it's unclear how much innovation HP plans in the smartphone arena itself - certainly based on Hurd's statements it's doubtful from a hardware perspective. However, WebOS is at the heart of their plans, and was developed as a smartphone/tablet OS, so it seems pretty likely that this class of device (amongst the dozens of others they plan to have interconnected via WebOS) will exist in their portfolio. Whether they manufacture the hardware themselves or license the OS to others to stick on outsources hardware remains to be seen.

But for Palm Pre/Pixi owners, I don't think there should be any reason to believe you shouldn't be excited that the OS is going to evolve probably at a much faster and broader rate than it would have. Whether it focuses solely on smartphone-related improvements that the masses are calling for may be an issue.
    Any time you hear quotes from the CEO of a large company you have to put it into context.

The CEO only wants to look at the big picture from 30,000 feet. The peons are looking 50 feet in front of them. The CEO is looking at a horizon 100 miles away. He does not want to hear about the little specs down there.

A friend at a car maker gave me a copy of an old Doonesbury cartoon of a person being bombed yelling up "How can you do this?" The next frame is the copilot saying "Think the Mets have a chance this year?"

That is how CEO sees the specs. I bet what Hurd was really thinking about during the interview was, "I wonder if we can push back tomorrow's tee time to 7:00?"

The same friend gave me another cartoon to show how huge the CEO's impact is.

A prominent religious figure drops his staff and yells "Crap!" in the first frame. The next frame is everyone in the room dropping their pants and squatting. The third frame is him saying "No! That is not what I meant!"

- Craig
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    There are a ton of rumors floating around about what he did or didn't say, what he meant... I'm not really sure what to believe just yet. But, I really don't think that they'll kill their market, however small it is, in the smartphones. I'm sure that the acquisition of palm wasn't about smartphones. What I would love to see, is HP kind of follow what Apple's done, but expand on it, with the whole media integration. I've seen it mentioned by others and it's just very exciting to think about being able to easily control all your media, computer equipment with smartphone or tablet. I really hope this is where they're going...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    HP iPAQ handhelds | HP® Official Store

Looking at the iPAQs on this page, you've got to ask yourself why these devices are still being sold. The answer probably is that the R&D that has gone into these phones has been spent and there is some profit to be made as long as there is some minimal demand for them.
    That's an easy answer:

A. because they still have inventory
    B. they want to have a placeholder in what analysts would see as a major hole in their strategy.

But mostly A...
    Fortune magazine seems to be pretty level-headed in analysis. Here is their take:

Bombshell: HP bought Palm to compete with ChromeOS? - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

The key thing that Fortune notes is that the other ground-up piece of software is Chrome:

"We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well. We bought it for the IP. The WebOS is one of the two ground-up pieces of software that is built as a web operating environment…We have tens of millions of HP small form factor web-connected devices…Now imagine that being a web-connected environment where now you can get a common look and feel and a common set of services laid against that environment. That is a very value [sic] proposition."

As to the Financial Times video, that was recorded before the at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Technology conference at the The Westin Times Square, New York, NY. In the FT video note the types of trees in the background.

It has been 24 hours and no one at HP has reversed any of this.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/03/2010 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    By the way. HP will likely stop using the Palm name at some point, just as they are doing with Compaq and others... That has NOTHING to do with investing or developing webOS. Heck, they could call it HP-OS. Each division that uses webOS will be creating a consistent UI, a consistent protocol for interconnection, and an ecosystem for addressing a variety of vertical use cases. Just like Google and Apple are doing, and like Cisco and IBM does, and like Dell and Microsoft would if they could pull their heads out. This is goodness, and will expand the number of devices that webOS apps can run on. Just like the iPad did for the iPhone.
    But HP hasn't stopped using the Compaq name. Eight years after the buyout, HP still produces Compaq branded computers.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    The more I listen to Mark Hurd, the more I don't like him. He is nothing but a bunch of catch phrases and CEO jargon. "I think we're being extremely innovative in the market. We like the market. We think the market will scale in terms of uh, in terms of size..."

Who is this guy?!
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  10.    #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    It has been 24 hours and no one at HP has reversed any of this.
    - Craig
    it's probably because Mark doesnt want to... he meant what he said and he wants it to 'resonate' to everyone.
    No word back from HP, eh? ******* sub-par PC makers!
  12.    #272  
    they may use the palm name... but i would not expect a pre or pixi type phone though in the future beyond what is already been worked on now pre-hp buyout... probably a iphone/evo or droid like phone.

Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    HP may eventually choose to dump the Palm name, but I think they will always sell a "Palm" phone, or rather, a pocket-sized device that also happens to be able to function as a phone as well.
    Seriously? I can't believe we're still going on about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    No word back from HP, eh? ******* sub-par PC makers!
    What is there to say?

Everything Apple does creates products that integrate with each other, and draw more sales of every other apple product. iPads sales are driving iPhone and Macbook sales... And HP gets that.

Microsoft is still trying to get the Zune out of the "other" category of market share, and thinking they can build a great smartphone as if it's still 2008...

Seriously, we have to hope HP will execute well, but the strategy is the right one.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    it's probably because Mark doesnt want to... he meant what he said and he wants it to 'resonate' to everyone.
    That may be. - He meant what he said.
    But did we understand what he meant by what he said?
    Just call me Berd.
    HP says it's in the smartphone market, after all -- Engadget

HP CEO Mark Hurd certainly caused a few sad faces yesterday when he told investors and analysts that HP "didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business," and it now the company is trying to walk that back a little -- rest easy, folks, because there are definintely more webOS smartphones on the way. Apparently what Hurd was really trying to say was that HP is excited about using webOS as the foundation for all types of smaller web-connected devices, and smartphones are just a part of that universe -- a part HP intends to pursue. Phew. Now, can we see these new webOS devices, please? Here's the full statement from HP:

When we look at the market, we see an array of interconnected devices, including tablets, printers, and of course, smartphones. We believe webOS can become the backbone for many of HP's small form factor devices, and we expect to expand webOS's footprint beyond just the smartphone market, all while leveraging our financial strength, scale, and global reach to grow in smartphones.

YAY! I love webos but the pre has the build quality of a Kia
    I agree that it's good to hear but you should try checking this site's front page for Pre news once in a while

http://www.precentral.net/ceos-say-d...cted-device-us
    This signature for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    YAY! I love webos but the pre has the build quality of a Kia
    Hey, I like my Kia!

'09 Amanti
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/03/2010 at 05:16 PM.