Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 356
  1. #221  
    Maybe HP realized they really don't have a chance in the smartphone market.

    I'm happy WebOS will live on but if I'm going to have a Android phone then why have a WebOS tablet vs. An Android tablet.
  2. #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Maybe HP realized they really don't have a chance in the smartphone market.
    I keep seeing this statement and it blows my mind. Do you know how many fast food outlets there are? Do you think Wendy's "can't make it" because it's not as big as McDonald's or Burger King?

    One does not have to be FIRST in a market to "make it". Also, this is a very YOUNG market. "Winners" have not been decided just yet. Some are in a big lead. But, no one is giving up.


    The one sentence can mean a lot of things BESIDES "we surrender", such as:

    1) We will do smartphones (TOO) as just a part of an overall strategy

    2) We will take the Google approach and license the OS to other makers

    3) The deal is not closed, so I am NOT going to pump up the smartphone end until we OWN this company. Otherwise, egg is on my face IF this thing goes sideways. I'll downplay this aspect so as not to catch grief from current shareholders.
  3. #223  
    Here's the webcast of the session:

    https://www.veracast.com/webcasts/ba...id28023421.cfm

    If you listen at about 28:30 he gets into it. You will hear the quote. If you continue into it, he does talk about millions of "hp small form factor devices" including smartphones. He says they aren't going to spend "Billions" (his emphasis), he says they'll be "disciplined about it". (about 30:11)

    I think others are right you will see a correction or explanation soon.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  4. #224  
    The last thing Merrill Lynch investors wanted to hear out of the CEO of HP is that HP is purchased a failing enterprise (Palm) in order to poor even more good money after bad (smartphones). Hurd's downplaying of the smartphone business and punching up of the WebOS aspects of their purchase - and how they plan to extend the single most promising feature they got out of the Palm purchase - is proper and prudent. His wording could have been better, but without direct knowledge of everything else he said leading up to that comment (i.e. full context), it's hard to know the full meaning of his statements.

    What seems clear, however, is smartphones are not going to be HP's focus, WebOS is. Smartphones will be a part of their greater WebOS ecosystem.
  5. #225  
    I'm very happy to wake up wrong today. HP should keep that CEO away from any public speaking.
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Here's the webcast of the session:

    https://www.veracast.com/webcasts/ba...id28023421.cfm

    If you listen at about 28:30 he gets into it. You will hear the quote. If you continue into it, he does talk about millions of "hp small form factor devices" including smartphones. He says they aren't going to spend "Billions" (his emphasis), he says they'll be "disciplined about it". (about 30:11)

    I think others are right you will see a correction or explanation soon.
    The "it doesn't resonate" quote is at the 18:45 timeframe too. Clearly not abandoning phones with that quote (with context). He's emphasizing his exploding IT business and the Palm purchase's role in that business.
  7. #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by Solen View Post
    HP already stated that they were looking to keep Palm as somewhat of a branch of their company. HP bought Palm because they saw their computer business' future, and how simple the webOS makes the touch interface to use on computer based hardware(tablets,printers,etc...). They didn't want to get into the smartphone business directly anymore(most likely due to their past iPAQ experience), since it wasn't beneficial for them, so they'll leave the phone market stuff to Palm, an established smartphone producer with a now amazing OS, without associating it with the HP name. I really doubt HP bought Palm just to absorb them into nothingness, since Palm's smartphone/webOS business(if handled with care) will bring them profit from a market they barely got involved in previously.
    exactly as the new article on precentral states. Hurd and HP see smartphones as connected devices (as he stated before saying small portable devices one in the same). I think he sees Web OS bigger then just smartphones, and thats all hes saying. Of course as stated above he could have used alittle more soothing, or less harsh words when concerning smartphones. I believe what is stated above, the reason why they are keeping the Palm internals to be the ones to continue to do what they do best design smartphones, while they concentrate on adding WebOS to their other connected devices. As well as making everything connected (example your smartphone directly connected to a tablet, and printer all working together). Its hard to think of WebOS in this fashion right now, considering we all know WebOs as a Palm Pre and a Palm Pixi, but I think Hurd is on to something here. This idea of connecting devices all togther completly syncable will in my opinion shake the industry.
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Business 101...

    The Board of Directors better have a talk with this *****... who spends a billion dollars on a phone company then says... naaaa we aren't looking into getting into a BOOMING cell phone business... why on earth would we a develop a phone that can actually print documents and emails directly from the phone? and advertise a TRUE phone that you can work from?

    Get rid of this ***** or at LEAST educate him on politics!!! and what to say.. WebOS isn't ready yet for a tablet we don't even have a document editor... and he's going around saying this?

    He should be saying we are working on some amazing things and SYNERGY!!! SYNERGY with printers!!! synergy with your TV SYNERGY with EVERYTHING!!

    Thats what he should be saying... what a moron
    I still stick with my statement from yesterday...


    He should be saying we are working on some amazing things and SYNERGY!!! SYNERGY with printers!!! synergy with your TV SYNERGY with EVERYTHING!!

    someone from PRPRPR $needs$ $to$ $give$ $this$ $guy$ $a$ $class$ $on$ $SALESMANSHIP$!! $Every$ $word$ $out$ $of$ $Jobs$ $mouth$ $is$ $This$ $is$ $the$ $next$ $best$ $thing$.. $this$ $is$ $an$ $amazing$ $product$... $this$ $is$ $going$ $to$ $re$-$revolutionize$... $blah$ $blah$ $and$ $most$ $of$ $the$ $time$ $all$ $he$ $did$ $was$ $go$ $from$ $2gHZ$ $TO$ $2$.$2$ $LoL$... $no$ $no$ $the$ $regular$ $mac$ $is$ $all$ $white$... $the$ $PRO$ $has$ $a$ $black$ $trim$ $around$ $the$ $screen$.. $it$'$s$ $amazing$!! $and$ $it$ $also$ $has$ $a$ $MUCH$ $larger$ $HD$.. $LOLhahahaha$ $now$ $thats$ $a$ $salesman$
  9. #229  
    Hurd could have said "WE will never put out a smartphone ever again" and some people would find something in there to show a new Smartphone is coming. There are people who believe a new PALM OS phone is coming soon. HP has the PRE PLUS ( which by the way us folks at Sprint have no access to) . that and the Pixi Plus are HP's Smartphones. If you like WEB OS theres your phone. If you dont then move on. And people who are reading that they will never make a smartphone again are nutty. They already have the PRE , they are in the Smart Phone biz. Its just that you will not see any revolutionary phones from them. they will not be putting out phones that compete with the EVO and Iphone and thats not such a bad thing. Nothing wrong with a basic smartphone that has a camera etc. I personally was a huge Palm fan and can understand the passion of the Palm folks , I cant exactly understand the fanboyy mentality with HP. I have no allegiance to HP and now that Palm is gone ( or will be) I am a free agent to find any phone that suites my needs.
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The last thing Merrill Lynch investors wanted to hear out of the CEO of HP is that HP is purchased a failing enterprise (Palm) in order to poor even more good money after bad (smartphones). Hurd's downplaying of the smartphone business and punching up of the WebOS aspects of their purchase - and how they plan to extend the single most promising feature they got out of the Palm purchase - is proper and prudent. His wording could have been better, but without direct knowledge of everything else he said leading up to that comment (i.e. full context), it's hard to know the full meaning of his statements.

    What seems clear, however, is smartphones are not going to be HP's focus, WebOS is. Smartphones will be a part of their greater WebOS ecosystem.
    +1

    this whole "Palm" statement is led into by the interviewer's question of how do you offset the risk of heavily investing in 3COM and Palm at a time when they're concentrating on cost savings.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  11. #231  
    I read it as "We didn't buy Palm to be in the Smartphone business" as HP.

    i.e. HP will not be the smartphone brand - but Palm might be. HP will stick to what they're known for being good at, and keep the Palm brand for what Palm is known for being good at.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    I read it as "We didn't buy Palm to be in the Smartphone business" as HP.

    i.e. HP will not be the smartphone brand - but Palm might be. HP will stick to what they're known for being good at, and keep the Palm brand for what Palm is known for being good at.
    exactly
  13. #233  
    Here is my read. HP wants to build a system of interconnected devices, linking printers, slates, TV's, smart phones, and perhaps even home appliances, and HP envisions webOS to be the operating system driving it all.

    No, HP is not going to focus 100% of its attention in competing in the smart phone market. Rather, HP envisions smartphones being an integral component of the interconnected devices. Mark Hurd mentioned "ecosystem" more than once, and I think that is what he means. So, in my estimation, HP's vision is that the future webOS phone will not be just like other smartphones, but it will be different. WebOS phones will be able to seamlessly interface other HP webOS devices like home thermostats, printers, televisions, etc. So I might, in the future, buy a Palm phone so that I can print out files to my home printer, adjust my home thermostat programming, change channels on my tv, backup and load my files to and from my home computer, and maybe even butter my toast in the morning.

    I mean.. why would a sane company like HP want to jump into head-to-head competition with established giants like Google and Apple? Certainly not by buying a moribund, has been, outfit like Palm. Palm has the OS and the patents that permits the interlinking "ecosystem", and Palm also has one hardware component for this ecosystem, and that is the most portable of all the hardware - the handheld, pocketable smartphone.
  14. #234  
    Everyone acts like HP owes them something. This company just spent a billion dollars for webos and they can use webos however they like. They obviously have a vision for it, but it just doesn't conform to this forum's members expectations. Well, they don't have to. They compete in many many markets of which smartphones are a small piece. They don't have to give anything to us just because a small group of phone hobbyists are angry now that they bet on the wrong horse.

    Sides, anything HP does is by commitee. Any phones they put out will be bland, webos or not. So everyone's just gotta calm down and let's see how things shake out. Calling the CEO of HP an ***** right now is just premature. Sending them hate mail is not going to endear them to the smartphone market or their so called "fans". Just relax or jump ship. Sitting around and fuming doesn't do get us anywhere.
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Here is my read. HP wants to build a system of interconnected devices, linking printers, slates, TV's, smart phones, and perhaps even home appliances, and HP envisions webOS to be the operating system driving it all.

    No, HP is not going to focus 100% of its attention in competing in the smart phone market. Rather, HP envisions smartphones being an integral component of the interconnected devices. Mark Hurd mentioned "ecosystem" more than once, and I think that is what he means. So, in my estimation, HP's vision is that the future webOS phone will not be just like other smartphones, but it will be different. WebOS phones will be able to seamlessly interface other HP webOS devices like home thermostats, printers, televisions, etc. So I might, in the future, buy a Palm phone so that I can print out files to my home printer, adjust my home thermostat programming, change channels on my tv, backup and load my files to and from my home computer, and maybe even butter my toast in the morning.

    I mean.. why would a sane company like HP want to jump into head-to-head competition with established giants like Google and Apple? Certainly not by buying a moribund, has been, outfit like Palm. Palm has the OS and the patents that permits the interlinking "ecosystem", and Palm also has one hardware component for this ecosystem, and that is the most portable of all the hardware - the handheld, pocketable smartphone.
    Exactly. HP is trying to get past the a-little-of-this-and-a-little-of-that business and focus on what's making money today: Broad, interconnected-technology ecosystems. Apple has figured it out. Google has figured it out. Microsoft is trying to figure it out. Even RIM has had it figured out for years, but has stagnated in the last 3-4 years.

    Technological ecosystems are the NBT (next big thing) - HP will be one of the first, and largest, to jump into it with both feet - like purchasing 3Com for the hardware, EDS for the services, and Palm for the "glue" that makes it a consistent experience throughout. They've got a long way to go, but they've overcome the first big hurdle: They get it.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The first stage is denial.

    So, when the CEO of a company says "we", he doesn't mean the company that he runs but just the brand?
    Aaaaahhh.

    So, when he says "we", he means precisely what he says.

    But, when he says "didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business" he means MORE than that. he means that HP (we) will take Palm OUT of the smartphone business.


    Thank you for that amazing bit of twisted logic to expose our 'state of denial'.

    It's all clear now
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    But why? WHy would they go back to their roots? No one wants a pda anymore. Thats why the smartPHONE business is growing as fast as it is. People want ONE device that does most of their tasks. Ipad, etc are luxury items. All I need and want is a Laptop for my research, etc. and a phone that can handle my tasks, calendar, email, casual web browsing, causal banking, etc, and you know, make phone calls.

    Why would anybody today want to carry around a PDA, Smartphone, Tablet, and Laptop?
    Speaking for myself, I am considering it. I switched from webOS to Android mostly because I couldn't rely on the Pre to handle ALL of my PIM needs. Then I bought an iPad. Holy crap! Now I use the iPad as my main PDA (i.e., it's not just a big iPod Touch, it's really a big Palm Pilot) and I started using my Hero only as a messaging device. Moreover, because webOS is a nicer, more elegant platform than Android, I've switched back to a Pre this week to experiment with the idea of de-convergence in the devices I carry. It's working quite well so far. How's that for irony?
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

    ...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
  18. #238  
    By the way. HP will likely stop using the Palm name at some point, just as they are doing with Compaq and others... That has NOTHING to do with investing or developing webOS. Heck, they could call it HP-OS. Each division that uses webOS will be creating a consistent UI, a consistent protocol for interconnection, and an ecosystem for addressing a variety of vertical use cases. Just like Google and Apple are doing, and like Cisco and IBM does, and like Dell and Microsoft would if they could pull their heads out. This is goodness, and will expand the number of devices that webOS apps can run on. Just like the iPad did for the iPhone.
  19. #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    I read it as "We didn't buy Palm to be in the Smartphone business" as HP.

    i.e. HP will not be the smartphone brand - but Palm might be. HP will stick to what they're known for being good at, and keep the Palm brand for what Palm is known for being good at.
    Then you need to go listen to the entire interview with Hurd (the link was posted earlier in this thread). Smartphones are currently and will remain a small part of HP's business model, but not for the sake of having smartphones. HP purchased Palm to get their hands on WebOS which will be the glue (or the foundation, or the common thread) that binds the greater IT ecosystem HP is building. Will smartphones be a part of that vision? Probably, but certainly not the centerpiece.

    HP purchased EDS and 3COM to enhance what they'd started in the IT business (example: one-stop shopping, monster database services that companies outsource to). WebOS will blend all their key IT products into a single functioning environment. When you view it from Hurd's position as CEO across this wide-ranging vista, smartphones are the herd of antelope on the African continent: There may be hundreds of thousands of them, but they are a spec when compared to the entire continent.

    I think the 2 articles Pre Central has posted on this topic so far are a disservice to their forum participants. The headlines alone are misleading if not blatantly false and the ensuing text does little to shed light on the situation other than further spread unsupported speculation.
  20. #240  
    Clearly this type of statement may really explain why Mattias Duarte left for Google and Android....hope this is wrong.

    And hope this is not the future (because it looks like what was offered a decade ago):

    Handheld Computers and Smartphones | HP Handheld Computer

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions