Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    This is big news in the tech world. It is on every major tech site. HP knows this. If you listen to the Engadget podcast you know HP called Joshua Topolsky directly to let Engadget know they were buying Palm. The buyout has been front page news on Engadget's site for weeks. Do you honestly believe there would be no retraction or clarification by now(especially if they were planning on releasing a webos smartphone)? Engadget's podcast is tonight. Hopefully they will have some facts and good news concerning webos smartphones.
    <<merged>>

Let's keep all speculation regarding this topic here.
    Just call me Berd.
    Polite email sent to Mr. Hurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    it's not like palm hasnt done it before... didnt they abandon many of the palm pda purests and the old os for webos? some didnt follow but many did and they got new followers.
    Not really. PalmOS apps can still run on webOS under the Classic emulator and you can transfer your PIM data - particularly the contacts and calendar data -fairly easily to webOS. Speaking as an old school PalmOS fan with data that goes back over a decade, I didn't feel abandoned at all by switch to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    you don't need clarification. He said it

i'm sure hill backtrack. and all the palm apologists will continue the excuses they've had for an entire year. But the real problem is that he DID NOT say "We're gonna make the best phones with the most services and most apps and best hardware on the planet."

That's what he should have said. And no matter what spin they try to put on it tommorrow. He flat out didn't say our number one goal was to make the best phone out there.
    No, actually, he didn't say what's been reported: that's the objective fact. It's not being an "apologist" to point out reality, and frankly I remain very, very tired of ad hominem like this. The fact that I'm a fan of Palm and webOS doesn't mean that I'm not objective in my analysis--you need to argue against the facts that people are presenting, not against their loyalty to the platform.

Go watch the freaking video, where his entire position is presented clearly and without being taken out of context. It's simply not possible to take what he says in its entirety as meaning that HP has any intention of abandoning the smartphone market.

If anything, he basically said that HP didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business because they didn't need to buy Palm to get into the smartphone business. As he said, making smartphones is easy. Rather, HP bought Palm for webOS, one of the few mobile OS's that was built from the ground up with the Web in mind. So, it makes perfect sense to acquire webOS to put on as many interconnected devices as possible--which naturally includes smartphones.

Hell, anybody who wants to see webOS survive should be happy that HP isn't focusing on smartphones. If all HP wanted to do was get into the smartphone business, then they could do like everyone else and slap Android (or, in a few months, Win Phone 7) on a bunch of me-too devices and be done with it. And without HP buying Palm, webOS would likely have simply died and then we'd REALLY have something to complain about.

And in this market, anybody who says that HP should be focused on making really good smartphones is the one who doesn't understand what it takes to be successful. A company needs a wide variety of interconnected devices with strong services and a core of quality developers to be successful--which is precisely what Hurd said in the video that HP plans to develop.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    All I know is this whole thing takes me back to the Commodore Amiga of old, passionate users, a great platform with enormous potential....

but....

it died....

sucked up in a vortex of the PC and Apple majority...

and now here in 2010 WebOS, a platform of many advantages, much potential...

back in the day I moved from the Amiga to the PC...and then realised it was ok to go with the masses...to move on...there was much to be gained...

...and now I look at every second Joe on the street...iPhone in hand...

and I wonder...what is the point in keeping allegiance to the Palm platform that now looks headed to the same tech graveyard...sad as it is to say..maybe buying an iPhone is the only way to go after all...
    i'm not leaving at least not before my contract is finish, in 2 years
    I really wonder if some people read even a part of a thread before they post things that contradict or simply repeat everything that's been posted beforehand. Then again, that's kind of like wondering if the ground gets wet when it rains.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I really wonder if some people read even a part of a thread before they post things that contradict or simply repeat everything that's been posted beforehand.
    You don't really wonder about that. You know for sure that they don't. Thanks for being the voice of reason. I
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You don't really wonder about that. You know for sure that they don't. Thanks for being the voice of reason. I
    I wonder if Cantaffordit ever sleeps... he's starting to start sentences and then drift off
    The first answer is that I don't ever sleep. The second is that I can't type...
    Think of it this way , say there is a restauant that is doing terrible. You buy this restauant . Do you continue selling the same junk that was failing before.You do something different.

Palm was a company in bancrupty with a phone no one wanted. It was losing money. People seem to be acting like Palm was a success like Android or Iphone. The Palm Pre was a absolute utter faliure BUT as we all like to say here WEB OS is awesome. So they are making a great buinesss choice. Use the awesome software for there better selling products and new products ( Printers, slates) instead of dumping millions into a money losing segment the smartphone.The Pre with all the hype when it came out didnt sell. People here are just absolutley forgetting how much money palm lost in the smartphone market. They were about to go out of business. HP does not want to lose money. The Palm Pre was a faliure in the market no matter how much we loved it. Sure alot of us here at Pre Central would have purchased it but the general public spoke and did not like the Pre.Unless cheaply made , HP would probally not have a high selling phone and another money loser. its a great business choice by HP but ofcourse a succky one for us who like WEB OS.
    I still think there will be a new WEBOS phone one day but it will not be the phone we all think it is. Nothing that competes with the iphone. It will be a phone that syncs with other HP products etc. A basic smartphone . If you like the Pre im sure that it will have some fans but for now I see them pushing the Pre Plus for as long as they can. Making the Pre Plus there Smartphone. If you look there pushing it out everywhere. I just see them Just doing updates to that. This is not Palm anymore folks, Palm is gone. Its HP. Really never had much concern for HP Products that I would buy a phone becasue its HP like I did with palm. Time to move on i guess.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/03/2010 at 02:59 AM.
    Yes. Go to the link, and watch the video. Do it. Now. Start at about 3:35 if you're impatient.

If you listen to him here and still think that HP intends to not make smartphones, then you're just suffering from delusions and should check to make sure you've taken your medication. Or, do as Nash did and fight the delusions without medications. Your choice.
    Hi,

I agree with you 101%!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Ofcourse HP will still have smartphones, they always have. They are just not big sellers . There Smartphone is the Palm Pre. HP is in the smartphone business. They have the Pre Plus. thats there smartphone. Thats it . They will have new phones one day but it not what everyone wants .When Hurd said not resonating well that was a unsderstament. Anyone who can read that whole clip and thinks thre will be a new smartphone any time soon , well I dont know what to say but Hold on to your dreams i guess. I will add I garentee that HP issues a statment soon saying it was a misquote . They have the Palm Pre to push. It was an absolute stupid statement for Hurd to make. Someone in the PRPRPR $department$ $at$ $HP$ $has$ $to$ $be$ $working$ $overtime$ $tonight$ $to$ $get$ $a$ $statement$ $out$ $soon$.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    In children's fairytales, Tweedledum has a famous quote to his twin brother, Tweedledee: he tells him, "I make words mean what I want them to."

The truth is - words are powerful.

How you use them - what you say and what you don't say - and in what context - means quite a lot, actually.

Mark Hurd, the CEO of HP, is a very intelligent man. I suspect that he has a clear sense of not only the words he says, but their meaning - and that he uses them intentionally.

So....let's look at what he said.

He said: "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business."

Now IMAGINE if instead of saying that, he added the word "JUST" - as follows:

"We didn't buy Palm JUST to be in the smartphone business."

IF he had said that, this column wouldn't be here. There wouldn't be a lot of upset, worried and concerned people who care about their Palm Pre's trying to figure out whether or not the CEO of the company which just bought Palm plans to "grow" the Pre as a viable phone/device (something WE ALL WANT) - or whether he plans to let it languish on the vine.

OR....IMAGINE if he had substituted the verb "GET INTO" for the verb "BE". Then his quote would have read -

"We didn't buy Palm to GET INTO the smartphone business..." Of course, then he would have had to follow this hanging sentence clause with the rest of the thought....something like this:

"We didn't buy Palm to GET INTO the smartphone business...because we ALREADY ARE IN the smartphone business. What we really plan on doing is GROWING the Palm PRE and PIXIE brands into a vital and central part of our new WebOS ecosystem."

If he'd said that, we'd all be dancing in the streets, popping champagne, and hugging each other.

But he didn't. He said, very clearly: "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business."

I personally was dismayed when I read this statement. Mark Hurd is very smart. He has a strong sense of the viability of WebOS as a unifying inter-platform OS for both mobile and other systems.

What I don't think he has....is a sense of how intelligent, passionate and committed Palm PRE owners are to the implementation of WebOS not only on our PRE's - but on future mobile devices which happen to be innovative, untuitive, powerful and organically pleasing smartphones.

I think we Pre owners, collectively and individually, should communicate these sentiments both to Mr. Hurd and to the world at large.

I know the Precentral community has mixed feelings about Apple products and policies. But whether you like Apple or not - and I definitely like and admire many Apple products, including the Macs I use every day as a writer - you've got to admire both Steve Jobs and his team for sticking with their vision even when Apple had pitiful sales, pitiful market share and nothing but a cool OS, decent hardware and a bunch of fanatically committed users. Mark Hurd and the Board of HP aren't shelling out a billion dollars for Palm and its WebOS because they think the PRE has a devoted and semi-fanatical user base. In fact, I'm willing to bet they don't know how intelligent and thoughtful and committed most PRE owners are.

This incident - of words whose intent may not reflect all of the realities most of us wish for - gives the PRE community a fabulous chance to go on the record in a positive way - and let both Mr. Hurd and the rest of the world know.....WHY we love our Pre's....and WHY the only acceptable future alternative for us....is one in which innovative WebOS smartphones like the PRE....must remain at the core of any future strategy.

I've gone on record, in an email to Mr. Hurd, to tell him my belief in the viability of PRE and WebOS smartphones - and to urge him to use the WebOS user community as a resource and an ally. I think we all should do that.

Words mean a lot. They have power. Let's use our words to send a clear and positive message to Mr. Hurd - to everyone at HP - and to the world....that we're sticking with our vision of what the PRE can do....and if they are smart and have foresight, we expect them to do the same.

If we say it in the right way....people WILL listen.

Miguel

P.S. In the movie "Field of Dreams", the misunderstood hero has a goal propelled by words from a strange dream: "Build it and they will come." Life isn't a movie....but if we speak up....quite a few people are going to listen.

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    HP already stated that they were looking to keep Palm as somewhat of a branch of their company. HP bought Palm because they saw their computer business' future, and how simple the webOS makes the touch interface to use on computer based hardware(tablets,printers,etc...). They didn't want to get into the smartphone business directly anymore(most likely due to their past iPAQ experience), since it wasn't beneficial for them, so they'll leave the phone market stuff to Palm, an established smartphone producer with a now amazing OS, without associating it with the HP name. I really doubt HP bought Palm just to absorb them into nothingness, since Palm's smartphone/webOS business(if handled with care) will bring them profit from a market they barely got involved in previously.
    Last edited by Solen; 06/03/2010 at 03:23 AM.
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Listened to the FT June 2 Hurd video interview

I'm starting to hear Blackberry for businesses vs Iphone for consumers. Meaning HP makes one order with the businesss customer where they sell the servers and cloud center services and the mobile devices that connect to them and "oh by the way, we'll throw in a bunch of phones also and for cheaper, than you would buy them as a standalone brand from another competitor."

If so, this could be good for Palm as they were unable to get into the enterprise market.

On the other hand, it suggests HP does not have to be cutting edge in phone technology. The phones have to work and to provide one more piece of this "integrated" experience. They do not have to be the top consumer standalone device. Rather their cutting edge nature will lie in their ability to integrate.

I'm not sure how the consumer would fit into this or if HP would still be going after that market in a few years. HP's definition of cutting edge for consumer may be:
    a) that the phone and slate work with the printer the consumer buys

b)that the phone and tablet both work together to fit into the cloud service.

This second idea sounds unlikely as HP are not debuting as far as I know a consumer cloud experience unlike what Google did.
    Rather HP's vision suggests that they are leaving consumer dominance to Apple and possibly Google and going after an enterprise CIO buyer where those two can't compete.

Of course, Jon Rubinstein may be secretly hoping his phone catches on with the consumer. Still, Palm webos would have been dead without HP--so Palm comes out ahead.
    Remember also that CEOs can talk strategy but market will dictate. I read on another post that Jobs wanted to debut the ipad first but realized the market was calling for phones....

ps if you want to see something cool, go onto CNN's site with oil spill coverage and check out the footage of the rescued loons: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...iref=allsearch
    No, actually, he didn't say what's been reported: that's the objective fact. It's not being an "apologist" to point out reality, and frankly I remain very, very tired of ad hominem like this. The fact that I'm a fan of Palm and webOS doesn't mean that I'm not objective in my analysis--you need to argue against the facts that people are presenting, not against their loyalty to the platform.

Go watch the freaking video, where his entire position is presented clearly and without being taken out of context. It's simply not possible to take what he says in its entirety as meaning that HP has any intention of abandoning the smartphone market.

If anything, he basically said that HP didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business because they didn't need to buy Palm to get into the smartphone business. As he said, making smartphones is easy. Rather, HP bought Palm for webOS, one of the few mobile OS's that was built from the ground up with the Web in mind. So, it makes perfect sense to acquire webOS to put on as many interconnected devices as possible--which naturally includes smartphones.

Hell, anybody who wants to see webOS survive should be happy that HP isn't focusing on smartphones. If all HP wanted to do was get into the smartphone business, then they could do like everyone else and slap Android (or, in a few months, Win Phone 7) on a bunch of me-too devices and be done with it. And without HP buying Palm, webOS would likely have simply died and then we'd REALLY have something to complain about.

And in this market, anybody who says that HP should be focused on making really good smartphones is the one who doesn't understand what it takes to be successful. A company needs a wide variety of interconnected devices with strong services and a core of quality developers to be successful--which is precisely what Hurd said in the video that HP plans to develop.
    This post is this threads MVP
    I'm amazed how many WebOS devices that seem to stop working the minute such "news" hit the fan. If people cannot enjoy what they got until it breaks, then we should dump your spouses now — before they go belly up on us in some way ...

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    OMG, think I'm having De Ja Vu. Was out with one of my mates about three weeks ago having a few beers, who happens to work for HP in SAP and we were comparing phones, him with his iPhone 3GS and me with my Pre. He actually stated to me that 'HP weren't interested in Palm as a brand but only the software (we all lovingly know as) WebOS and that Palm would be swallowed up'. DAMN SAY IT AIN'T SO.

Begs the question though, If Palm are to be pulled apart, and I hope it doesn't happen, how long will Palm last? Because with all these two and three year contracts being sold by various carriers around the world, WE STILL NEED OUR SUPPORT!!!
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast