1.    #1  
    Ok, I have an AT&T version and my dad turned on some feature that can locate my phone. I would like to know how I can turn off the GPS because I don't want my ******** dad to find me, I used to be able to simply turn off the GPS on my backflip but I don't know how on my Pre, anybody know how?
    Go into Location Services amd then select Locate Me Using from the app menu... GPS on/off is there.

Or, for easier access to the option, install a patch to put GPS Toggle in device menu... or install the Toggle GPS homebrew app.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, for the help
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Go into Location Services amd then select Locate Me Using from the app menu... GPS on/off is there.

Or, for easier access to the option, install a patch to put GPS Toggle in device menu... or install the Toggle GPS homebrew app.
    LOL you must not have any teenagers...
    Now lets just hope your "***** dad" isnt a member on Precentral. And no worries, with your GPS on, your battery will be dead before you can even locate you.
    An email has just been sent to your dad notifying him of this thread.

KIDDING!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Now lets just hope your "***** dad" isnt a member on Precentral. And no worries, with your GPS on, your battery will be dead before you can even locate you.
    Nah, he doesn't have a pre lol, and well, my dad does look at where my siblings and my phone's locations
    <<thread moved>>
    Gee, when you have kids, I hope someone helps them defiy their parents.
    @OP

I am your father. Just wait until I get home to deal with this. I'm bringing your new Moto Razr with me...
    Luke...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @OP

I am your father. Just wait until I get home to deal with this. I'm bringing your new Moto Razr with me...
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone_hater View Post
    Ok, I have an AT&T version and my dad turned on some feature that can locate my phone. I would like to know how I can turn off the GPS because I don't want my ******** dad to find me, I used to be able to simply turn off the GPS on my backflip but I don't know how on my Pre, anybody know how?
    What exactly do you think is going to happen to you and your phone when your ******** dad finds out what you've attempted to do? If I were you, I wouldn't make any long term commitments to be anywhere for a while. Say... Until your 30th birthday.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    What exactly do you think is going to happen to you and your phone when your ******** dad finds out what you've attempted to do? If I were you, I wouldn't make any long term commitments to be anywhere for a while. Say... Until your 30th birthday.
    Nah, I'll just tell him I had no service, don't worry about it
  15. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone_hater View Post
    Nah, I'll just tell him I had no service, don't worry about it
    Might be better off with the "Stupid GPS on the Pre doesn't work."

And be safe and smart wherever you're going that you don't want your dad to know about.
    Last edited by GHT; 06/02/2010 at 06:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    What service is your Dad using to track your phone?

And honestly guys, if his Dad can't figure out that there is a toggle switch to GPS on every phone since the 80s then he's asking for it to backfire.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Well, my guess is that his dad is using the AT&T FamilyMap service (AT&T- News Room). In that case, turning off the GPS will do no good because it will use A-GPS, or fall back to tower triangulation if GPS is unavailable.

So, the only way to avoid this would be to put the Pre into Airplane mode so that the request from his dad's phone would never make it to his Pre -- but then he wouldn't be able to text his buddies and find out where the keg party is that night either :P.