View Poll Results: How often do you use the WAVE launcher?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

46 41.44%
  • Rarely / sometimes

27 24.32%
  • Everytime I want to access my 5 favorite apps

38 34.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This just my opinion, but does anyone else feel like the wave launcher feature in webos overcomplicates things and offers no value to the WebOS experience?

I mean, why should I use the wave launcher when it's just as fast for me to swipe up to card view to access my 5 favorite apps?

I think it'd be far more useful if it instead contained shortcuts to access system settings on the fly (screen brightness, bluetooth, wifi, etc).

I'll be drafting a detailed suggestion for improvements and sending it to Palm. If anyone has ideas, feel free to chime in!
    Last edited by cr_8_tiv; 06/02/2010 at 02:59 PM.
    There is a patch in Preware that will hide the Quick Launch bar. Let me go find the exact name of it.

--edit
    Found it. 'Hide Quick Launch Bar'
    There is a patch to remove it. I have the hide quick launch in launcher only patch. I like having it with my wallpaper but I like to have the room for the apps in the launcher. The wave is the best part of the quick launcher I think.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    hey, it can do that...all you have to do is touch and drag the icon to the wave bar to add it. Personally it saves me alotve time. I surf the web and tweet alot. So I added twee to my launcher and now it's only one button away. You just have to customize it to your liking. The only thing I hope for in the future is to be able to add more icons to the actual wave launcher...hope I helped
    I use the wave more than I do the full launcher pages. I use one hand so the wave contains my most used apps and is quicker IMO with one hand.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the tips guys, but you're misunderstanding my rant No problem, I'll elaborate on this.

I know you're all familiar with the difference between the Quick launch bar and the Wave launcher bar. The former is seen on card view, whereas the latter is accessed by swiping up from the gesture area to the screen. I don't mind the quick launch bar, in fact I find it very useful. My major gripe is how pointless the Wave launcher is. As it stands right now, there is no benefit to using the wave launcher over the quick launch, all it does is offer another option to the exact same set of your favorite 5 apps.

On top of that, it feels more intuitive (to me at least) to simply swipe up to card view rather than use the wave launcher because I have to first swipe up and hold, THEN slide my finger over to the app. To me, the wave launcher is seldom used, and to a large degree, feels cumbersome. This is why I think it should give access to a completely different set of features like system settings, or the app menu tools (copy, cut, paste).
    Oh ok, I get what you're saying. Yea, I've used the wave launch bar maybe twice and I've had a Pre for just about a year! We need to make it useful somehow...
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I, too, hide the quick launcher and rely on the wave to access my most-used apps. I appreciate the quick and easy access to Agenda, Quick Events, and email without having to open the launcher and choose an app icon. The wave also allows me to free up those 4 icon spots on the first launcher page. And by hiding the quick launcher, I can fit 20 icons per page using the 4x4 patch.

Tech configuration is a matter of preference, but I think the quick launcher wave can add value to the webOS experience if you make it an integral part of your user experience.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Oh ok, I get what you're saying. Yea, I've used the wave launch bar maybe twice and I've had a Pre for just about a year! We need to make it useful somehow...
    Lol, yah! Is there anyway to email Palm about future suggestions/improvements? Don't get me wrong, I love what they've done so far, but the designer in me keeps wishing it could be THAT MUCH MORE user-friendly. The Wave launcher is a awesome concept, but I don't think many people use it much at all, if ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Lol, yah! Is there anyway to email Palm about future suggestions/improvements? Don't get me wrong, I love what they've done so far, but the designer in me keeps wishing it could be THAT MUCH MORE user-friendly. The Wave launcher is a awesome concept, but I don't think many people use it much at all, if ever.
    Oh I see. You want "new" settings in the wave (that already don't exist from an icon standpoint).

As any setting or executable would still need an icon, it would still be able to be placed in the quick launch. The icon is the parallel contributing factor to both the current existing design and your idea about what it should be.

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Oh I see. You want "new" settings in the wave (that already don't exist from an icon standpoint).

As any setting or executable would still need an icon, it would still be able to be placed in the quick launch. The icon is the parallel contributing factor to both the current existing design and your idea about what it should be.
    True, but since the wave launcher is a "hidden" feature that is seldom used, I believe it would make more sense if it housed a set number of system-based or app-specific features which are completely independent from the app-launcher.

Doing so would also clear up all the clutter of icons you have on the last page of the launcher (theres like 6-7 different icons just to access the various system settings...)
    I use the wave when already in an app. If you have a card in full view and you want to get to one of those four apps or the launcher it so much easier to lift up the wave and use that than it is to swipe the card into card view then navigate.
    I find it really useful this way and it saves at least one step. Hope everyone understands what I mean.
    I think it is a great feature if used this way. I know I end up using it a lot.
    I personally, use the wave launcher exclusively. I have hide quick bar patch installed, and have my faves on the wave. It gives my phone a cleaner feel, and I'm always able to get what I need open, without swiping a card up, then pressing a button. Just hold and raise. Cake.
    No I use the wave launcher quite often.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I prefer the wave because I have a Pixi and have the quick launch hidden ALL the time to give me back some screen real estate. And like another poster said, its nice when you're in an app and don't want to have to pull up the launcher pages.
    I have found it not only useless but an obstacle when I use my tumb to push the slider during income call ringing. I always accidiently trigger the short cut program in the wave launcher. Hope there is a patch to disable it.
    I never thought it was useful.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I also use the wave launcher and love it! What I would do to improve is to have it change to a new set of icons as you move your finger up. So the lower half will have a set of 4 icons, and as you keep moving up your finger ,those icons change to another 4 -- basically giving you access to 8 apps quickly accessible with one touch--- not having to bring up the launcher, then tap on the app. It's just much more efficient, especially if your launcher had been on like page 4 or page 3 of your apps.
    Could you also change your poll to add the option
    yes, every time I am in an app and want to get to another
    Or something similar, as i believe this is its intended purpose. Thanks
    i couldnt live without the wave... i too have the hide patch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast