1.    #1  
    OK, I'm wondering if there is always going to be some sort of Preware-type-program needed with WebOS? I just don't see how Palm/HP can implement all of these awesome patches and the options to have them or not without an OTA or Wired via USB program like WebOS Quick Install. Is that how it's always going to be with WebOS? If not, it seems that eventually the menu options are going to be so huge and complex to find the one patch you are looking for. This is, of course, if there isn't an App that will be implemented into all WebOS phones. Maybe, patches will become a part of the App catalog.

Am I being an ***** here? Probably so. I am curious as to what others think, especially those genius's who write all of the codes for these patches.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I wouldn't expect a patching system to be incorporated into webOS, but I have heard someone say that Palm looks at the patches, and this helps them figure out what users want. I can imagine them taking some selected patches and turning them into preference options. Multiple launcher pages and icon size would seem to be a no-brainer.

But there's no way that all of the patches would be available as options, there are just too many. So I think there will always be a place for Preware/patches/homebrew for those who want to go beyond the standard user experience (while accepting the inherent, albeit minor, risk).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3.    #3  
    So for the people who just don't want to go and spend the time learning, or who just don't have the capability of learning the ways to make the Pre such a great device are pretty much screwed. I feel bad for those who don't get to explore all the options the developers have provided through Preware. I love it. The one thing I can do without is having to EPR before any new Palm Updates. That's why I started this thread. I really want to have these great Patches available built into the device, which I guess like you stated jbg7474, some will be implemented into the Preferences of certain apps eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    So for the people who just don't want to go and spend the time learning, or who just don't have the capability of learning the ways to make the Pre such a great device are pretty much screwed. I feel bad for those who don't get to explore all the options the developers have provided through Preware. I love it. The one thing I can do without is having to EPR before any new Palm Updates. That's why I started this thread. I really want to have these great Patches available built into the device, which I guess like you stated jbg7474, some will be implemented into the Preferences of certain apps eventually.
    2 things...... you are making an assumption based on the thought that your preferences are what every body wants!
    1) there are literally millions (multi) that absolutely love the stock configuration Pre so to say they are screwed is inflamatory at the least.
    2) you have not payed close attention because there is no need to run EPR before Updates any longer. Do a search for AUPT
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    2 things...... you are making an assumption based on the thought that your preferences are what every body wants!
    1) there are literally millions (multi) that absolutely love the stock configuration Pre so to say they are screwed is inflamatory at the least.
    2) you have not payed close attention because there is no need to run EPR before Updates any longer. Do a search for AUPT
    Oh I do realize the Patches have Versions that show what updates they will be compatible with. That doesn't mean anything to me as I still EPR, and then install the Patches again. It really isn't a big deal.

As far as the people who don't mod their Pre, maybe it wasn't right to use the word 'screwed,' but they are definitely missing out. I mean come on here, you're going to tell me that having simple patches like time stamping text messages and having call durations and making the huge icons a little smaller wouldn't give a stock Pre owner more satisfaction with their device with less potential to return it.

I take it you mod your Pre with Preware also? Next time you Doctor, don't put any patches in and see how long you can go before giving in as withdrawals will be too strong!

See ya,
    no offence meant but my wife likes her stock pre better than my modded pre.
    % agreethat in my opinion the modding is half of the fun. But we here are a extremely small percentage of pre owners so the vast majority of pre users are unaware that something like preware even exists (sadly)

% have written 20+ patches (do a search for 2sslow) so I do like the ability to modify thing on my device, but many others just want a stock phone that works smoothly w/o problems.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.