Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have been keeping track of the issues my wife and I have been having with our Pre and Pixi's since last June. Below is the list. If anyone has valid ideas, thoughts, links to true fixes, etc. I would appreciate any of it. I am getting a little tired of the the randomness of WebOS.

Sprint Palm Pre - 4 different Pre's and many visits to Dr.
    -Inconsistent battery drain, both with stock battery and Siedio 2600
    -Inconsistent cell signal between known good locations and different Pre's
    -Random luna restarts (with or without developer mode on)
    -Youtube player cannot always play its own videos
    -PDF viewer sometimes cannot open a .pdf doc downloaded from the web, a reboot usually fixes this.
    -On 4th Pre, all due to the headset mode toggle issue. (soon to be the 5th because the headphone jack screwed up again - 5/31/2010)
    -1 Pre also had issue where the enter key would not depress physically most of the time.
    -Sometimes text messages that were just typed won't show in the messaging app for a few minutes.
    -3 times I have had the universal search quit working. 1 of the 3 I had to Dr. to get it back.
    -Every day or two the email accounts will prompt for authentication...even though I send and receive emails with no problem. (update - has not happened with this latest Pre...yet, but has happened to multiple Pre's in the past)
    -Once just after getting a replacement Pre I was in the process of syncing Facebook contacts and it reset, then started the entire thing over again. Starting from the Palm profile authentication.
    -Contacts application will occasionally prompt for new account authentication. (update - has not happened with this latest Pre...yet, but has happened to multiple Pre's in the past)
    -If your using a data connection and traveling through a weaker signal area such as 1x then back in to 3G. It will not always change back to 3G until you close the app that is using the data connection. (both UI and the speed at which the app is using the data connection)
    -GPS is not consistent, sometimes a reboot of the phone is needed for apps to pick up the signal.
    -Restarts of the phone in general take 5-10 mins at times (3 different Pre's)
    -email will randomly format on the screen incorrectly see below attachment. this happened along time ago as well, prior to having any patches.

Sprint Palm Pixi - Wife's Pixi 2 different physical phones and multiple visits to the Dr. as well, also these are only the issues she is complaining about and that I have witnessed myself on her phone too.
    -contacts, messaging and a couple other native apps will launch but never show the data. Ex. Contacts will open but it is as if you have no contacts. Luna restart does not work. Reboot of phone does. Has happened about 15 times in the last 4 days. Just Dr'd a week ago too.
    -once her phone locked up and she had to do a reboot, when it came back up it was in another language. Had to reboot again and it went back to English
    -once her phone locked up and she had to reboot and when it came back up everything was upside down. Had to reboot again to get it normal.
    -random freezing which in turn has luna automatically restart
    -Pixi will not abide by the user selected ringtone for the messaging application, removed all patches that would deal with this feature. It is defaulting to 6 vibrate pulses at 5 secs apart, regardless if you check the message on the first vibrate or not...there is no patch for this that I installed or even heard of. (currently happening right now - probably going to try EPR and if that fails, back to the Dr. again)

Side Note
    In addition to all of this while I like patching and over-clocking and everything. I don't think that a phone should almost be required to patch to properly use it. Things like not including a message counter, messaging groups, proper time stamps in SMS messages, Agenda views, All day events in Calendars, etc, etc......SHOULD NOT come from the development community. The stock image should have these features included....LIKE THEY DID on basic feature phones for the past 15 years!

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neoncorey; 06/01/2010 at 10:29 AM.
    It's a little unclear to me what your expectations are with this post. When most of of your issues have the words "random", "inconsistent", "once" and "sometimes", it makes it MUCH more unlikely that you'll find a "true fix". In addition, a lot of these issues have been discussed many times in many threads, so most of your answers are already in the Forum archives.

If this is just a complaint to blow off steam, then by all means have at it. But if you're actually hoping for or expecting some solutions (which is what you seem to be asking at the top of the post), this isn't a good way to go about it IMHO.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    It's a little unclear to me what your expectations are with this post. When most of of your issues have the words "random", "inconsistent", "once" and "sometimes", it makes it MUCH more unlikely that you'll find a "true fix". In addition, a lot of these issues have been discussed many times in many threads, so most of your answers are already in the Forum archives.

If this is just a complaint to blow off steam, then by all means have at it. But if you're actually hoping for or expecting some solutions (which is what you seem to be asking at the top of the post), this isn't a good way to go about it IMHO.
    A little of both. Not only am I blowing off some steam, but I would like to hear of others that are having such issues in the amount I am. While I know there are some potential answers out there (1 topic in thread A and 1 topic in thread B and 1 in thread C, etc.) But I have not seen other users keeping lists of issues that they have experienced. Each thread has its own issue and possible resolution, which is good to try to fix that specific issue. And I definitely appreciate that because I have used the Precentral forums a lot for answers. But too see a list of issues all at once sometimes scares people and sometimes it makes them curious. The curious ones might be able to point me in a direction to some central problem. Perhaps someone from Palm or an experienced developer reading it could say "Hey this kid is having a lot of problems, maybe there is an issue with a profile on Palms side that just keeps getting replicated down to each phone he gets?" Just an idea. Or maybe this OS is just too sensitive and plain and simple is not reliable enough for my usage. Or maybe "He is tweaking things incorrectly and that is causing many of the issues he is seeing."

I know it is tough to get an answer for a bunch of issues all at once, but even if the answer is the OS just ain't that good. Or I must be doing something wrong. Or maybe there is something centrally? I am looking for anything because I am pretty frustrated with WebOS and Palm right now.

And if nothing more....this is a running list that myself and or others can take into Sprint, showing them all the problems we have been dealing with for their product. (personal ghetto bug list) In case they ever gave me a hard time about replacement phones, or bills, or discounts on other equipment. YES a little venting too....lol
    Wow, I guess either you are extremely unlucky or you use your phone in a completely different manner than me. **EDIT I have a Sprint Pre**

I have had my phone reboot on it's own a few times. Maybe 10 times tops in the 12 months I have had it and I patch the crap out of my phone. Have Dr. once.
    Also, I have had this happen maybe 5 times in 12 months
    "email accounts will prompt for authentication" rebooting usually fixes it.
    Also I had the rocker issue twice when I will be listening to music via headphones, call comes in and I unplug headphones and answer call. and it will be stuck so they can't hear me or is it the other-way around, i forget.
    Plugging in headset and unplugging it while listen to music fixes this.