Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Just a little bit ago (we'll say 2 hours) my Pre shut down and acted like it was performing an upgrade. That is, I got the circular progress bar and the admonition not to pull the battery. When it finished I had to go through the setup screens again, as if I had gone to the doctor or something like that. I came to find, however, that I had completely lost my /media/internal partition. It had been reset to default.

All I was doing at the time was listening to Slacker, and I didn't even get a message indicating that I had been logged out of my palm profile. I am about to visit the doctor to clean out cruft (patches left behind and such) and start over. Fortunately I have a reasonably current copy of my save/restore database, but I don't have a current backup of pictures and videos.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Just a little bit ago (we'll say 2 hours) my Pre shut down and acted like it was performing an upgrade. That is, I got the circular progress bar and the admonition not to pull the battery. When it finished I had to go through the setup screens again, as if I had gone to the doctor or something like that. I came to find, however, that I had completely lost my /media/internal partition. It had been reset to default.

All I was doing at the time was listening to Slacker, and I didn't even get a message indicating that I had been logged out of my palm profile. I am about to visit the doctor to clean out cruft (patches left behind and such) and start over. Fortunately I have a reasonably current copy of my save/restore database, but I don't have a current backup of pictures and videos.

i thought i read some where that using the doctor now will not delete pictures, videos or music. pretty much everything that is on the usb partition of the phone.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Heard of this happening, but never happened to me until tonight. I got a message that I was signed out of my Palm profile, then when it rebooted, most of my apps were gone and it was restoring all the apps from the catalog by re-downloading them! My patches were all still applied though, so that was the odd thing! It hadn't actually reset the whole device, plus everything on my media store was there! All my apps that weren't from the catalog were deleted though, including a few I wrote myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post

Are you running an overclocked kernel?

Running a device outside of it's guaranteed design limits can cause incorrect functional operation (depending on where your individual device lies on the distribution of manufacturing variation).

If this incorrect operation happens to occur while the filesystem driver is writing filesystem structures to disk, it can corrupt the filesystem. If the Pre detects a corrupted filesystem, it will erase and reformat it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals