1.    #1  
    First off, it is my assumption that contact information is stored over the cloud via Palm Profile when backups are performed on a Palm Pre.

Is it then possible to pull from this pool of information without the device physically on-hand?
    Negative.

Sync contacts to Google then the answer is yes.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    There is no way to access or export contacts from your Palm profile to anything other than your Palm profile. I am amazed that Palm thought that was ok. Even my wife's dumb phone has contacts on MyVerizon and I can access them from a browser...

Instead, Palm made it to your advantage to use gmail - and toss you into the hands of a competitor. That's why I bought Pocket Mirror and I sync with Outlook. There are zero contacts in my palm profile or my gmail account.... for this very reason.

And remember, with Android, I wouldn't have had that choice...
    Quote Originally Posted by famousian View Post
    First off, it is my assumption that contact information is stored over the cloud via Palm Profile when backups are performed on a Palm Pre.

Is it then possible to pull from this pool of information without the device physically on-hand?
    For some people, where the confidentiality of their contacts is crucial, Palm is providing a backup system that is secure, and making sure that the info is encrypted and can be access only when restoring a phone. The Palm profile is not intended to be a productivity website like Google, Yahoo, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordielordie View Post
    For some people, where the confidentiality of their contacts is crucial, Palm is providing a backup system that is secure, and making sure that the info is encrypted and can be access only when restoring a phone. The Palm profile is not intended to be a productivity website like Google, Yahoo, etc.
    That is exactly the nature of Verizon's contact backup for dumb phones, But they still let you access and export from a browser. We've had several people here break their Pre and want to use their upgrade for another Brand. Instead, they are forced to find a pRe they can log in with to get the contacts, just so the carrier can then translate them to something else...

You can log in to your Palm profile to change your email, passowrd for the phone, and even do a remote erase if the phone is stolen. All they need is a button for secure ftp download. That is a piece of cake to add to what they have in place...
    If you've got the phone on hand, you could send all your contacts by emailing a contact list. This can then be imported into outlook if you want that. (contacts>options>save all via email). You're also able to send them to a car bluetooth kit, which is neat.

It just seems a little odd when you can't actually do it the other way around, with outlook sending contacts to the palm profile itself.
    This is why I will only use a phone that has Exchange capability. Cross platform compatibility FTW!!!