1.    #1  
    Hi all,

There is not a doubt, that Palm HP is committed to the smart phone business. There have been some postings, where Pre Central members have felt that HP is going to far afield with webOS, by installing webOS on printers and slate computers.

A few readers/posters to this site, felt Palm was abandoning the smart phone business. On that score, I am posting twin articles, in fact one article refers to the other one, (a link from one article, to the other).

Personally, I am delighted to see webOS go on printers, slates, etc.... this because, every $ spent on webOS research is also going to help webOS on smart phones as well!

HP also confirmed that they would be producing a number of smart phone's.

The other article refers to smart phones in the plural! I for one, am 100% sure that Palm/HP are NOT abandoning smart phones.

Take care, Jay

HP Confirm webOS Based HP Tablet
    By Roland Hutchinson on Monday 24th May 2010 9:45 am

HP Confirm webOS Based HP Tablet | Geeky Gadgets

We previously heard a rumor that HP would be releasing a tablet based on Palm’s webOS, the HP Hurricane Tablet, which looked like it was going to be based on the shelved HP Slate tablet.

HP has now confirmed that they will be releasing a tablet computer in October 2010, although no details were released on specifications and they also didn’t confirm that it would be called the Hurricane Tablet.

HP also confirmed that they would be producing a number of smartphone’s using webOS, the also said that webOS would not make its way onto netbooks and smartbooks.

As soon as we get some more details on the HP webOS Tablet we will let you guys know.

HP webOS Slate Confirmed
    by Matthew on May 22, 2010

HP webOS Slate Confirmed

Since the HP/Palm deal occured, a bit of speculation about HP launching a webOS based tablet has been happening. We heard a couple of weeks back that the new webOS tablet could be called the HP Hurricane although no official information has been provided about this being the case.

Yesterday a HP representative confirmed that the company would be working on a HP webOS based tablet that will be made available in October. As well as tablets using webOS, we also hear that smartphones will continue to use it although surprisingly, netbooks and smartbooks have been ruled out.

It isn't clear at the moment if the new HP webOS tablet is going to be called the HP Hurricane. With a launch date of August though, it shouldn't be too long before we get official details about the device.

As soon as we get more details of the new tablet, we'll write up about them here. If any company has the ability to tackle Apple [AAPL], I think HP and webOS could have a chance. Of course there are other tablet makers bringing out various OS's such as Android, but so far none have sold as many as Apple. Lets hope HP can come up with something decent.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Wow, that makes me want to wait for the new phone even more. Sounds like good news to me.
    Its a little confusing to track down these sources but if you look carefully they cite the source of their information so I followed the source of your second article back two links to the same article that started the earlier rumors:
    Login to DIGITIMES archive & research

That article has been debunked (see Precentral frontpage here):
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-cto-put...s-slate-rumors

Good try. I'm sure we'll get some news in another month or two.
    And pop go's my bubble.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    The more webos machines are sold, the more users it has, the more devs will come and the circle continues.

Also, I'm interested in a tablet because it will have webos in it. The same can be said for people with webos printers looking for a smart phone.

The more HPalm uses webos on their devices, the more likely webos devices will take off.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    The more webos machines are sold, the more users it has, the more devs will come and the circle continues.

Also, I'm interested in a tablet because it will have webos in it. The same can be said for people with webos printers looking for a smart phone.

The more HPalm uses webos on their devices, the more likely webos devices will take off.
    Hi, I am sorry that the article was discredited, . However, I believe only the time frame was discredited, not the dedication to making mobile devices, aka smart phones.

Thank you I could not agree more...even if the articles are debunked. I cannot think, that HP bought Palm for webOS only. I am sure they want a presence and a large presence, in the smart phone business. As we move further and further into Mobile computing. More and more sophisticated devices will have to be designed. The more HP tinkers with webOS for non phone uses, the more all of these non phone sues, become blended together.

The more they are used the more they become a necessity. After all, in offices, they would overnight or messenger paperwork, however, now it has to be emailed or faxed, b/c we are used to instant gratification.

WebOS will be the common thread to accomplish this. This synergy cannot be done without a VERY STRONG PRESCIENCE IN SMART PHONES AND MOBILE DEVICES.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Fan photos from Palm | Facebook is this the next palm phone ??
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Me want sooo bad!
    lol i just saw it on palm's facebook page so i was wondering
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  10.    #10  
    Hi all,

There was a mock up of a two screen Pre, smaller screen on one side with a keyboard and a larger screen on the screen only side.

That would work for me. However, Palm has prided themselves for years, , (justifiably), for having a keyboard. Call me old fashioned, but I cannot type on a piece of glass. I want a keyboard! While I know it doesn't matter to all of you. However, it does to me.

I think what ever they do, it should ALSO have a virtual keyboard, so it will make everyone happy.

I AM SURE, that Palm closely follows this site as well as their own support site, in order to make the next Palm product, the "IT" smart phone!

Take care,

Jay
    its a mockup but an awesome looking one. id lovvvve that phone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    its a mockup but an awesome looking one. id lovvvve that phone.
    Ditto x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Keyboard pleeease
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Balzak View Post
    Keyboard pleeease

me to!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    me to!!!!!
    AND.... NO BRICKS!! I don't need to walk around like "I'm happy to see someone" with a ginormous bulge in my pocket. Go to a T-Mobile sometimes and see if you can get the HD2 into ANY of your pockets is your not wearing cargo pants!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    AND.... NO BRICKS!! I don't need to walk around like "I'm happy to see someone" with a ginormous bulge in my pocket. Go to a T-Mobile sometimes and see if you can get the HD2 into ANY of your pockets is your not wearing cargo pants!
    Hi,

That's a problem. Smart Phones eat batteries....Something Pre owners have been carping about from day one.....A few weeks ago, I wrote a post asking if the phone is to be 4G, (we hope), would it use less power or more. The short answer was it would use more power...granted that there is major work bring done, by chip companies to make lower power consuming chips...to save our batteries ...however, I wouldn't be surprised to see a larger battery then now!

Take care, Jay

PS You wrote: I don't need to walk around like "I'm happy to see someone" with a ginormous bulge in my pocket...

Mae West say, is that a pistol in your pocket ...or are you just glad to see me. (She also said, She packs a pair of 45's and she also carries a gun....(Amazing Hollywood got away with Mae's remarks after all. David O. Selznick paid $50,000, (in 1939 it was a great deal of $), to bribe the censors, so that Rhett Butler could use the word Damn, in "frankly my dear I don't give a damn))"! LOL!...Jay
    I hope not. It looks like any other Windows or Android phone. I like how my Pre looks a bit different. I think if they were to make a new phone it should be like the existing Pre Plus but with a silver body like the HTC Legend. Or just a silver back. Or a side slider like the Droid.