Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    You have to wonder if he might be setting himself up for frustration working with Android. More than any of us, he has webOS in his blood. I'm thinking he will regret this move.
    And I'm thinking he wont.
    haha
    One man does not make the team. No one is irreplaceable.
    The UI and design is never done I agree but Palm can make incremental improvements, starting I hope with the Calendar which sorely lacks an agenda type view, ability to add/invite attendees etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    One man does not make the team. No one is irreplaceable.
    The UI and design is never done I agree but Palm can make incremental improvements, starting I hope with the Calendar which sorely lacks an agenda type view, ability to add/invite attendees etc.
    Considering he created the UI team single-handedly..
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    And I'm thinking he wont.
    You think it will be so easy for someone who was totally immersed in the user experience for webOS to move to the enemy? Sure the money will be good. And, he'll be working for Google. But his passion was for webOS. You could sense it when he demo'd it at CES. I'm sure he'll adjust, but it won't be easy. And there will surely be nights when he wonders why he bailed on his labor of love.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    If this is true from the Engadget post, it could also be addition by subtraction.

While Matias was unquestionably a prime mover at Palm, we had heard rumblings that his rigid attitude toward design and control-freak nature sometimes caused conflict amongst the team.
    Of course, he was a pioneer in the vision of webOS. But we already have the vision, now it's the execution that matters, and you can easily find someone else who is talented to refine that.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I was hoping this would mean they would replace him with someone a bit more friendly towards widgets
    ugh, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    ugh, no.
    I second this.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    You guys don't like widgets? There very useful and you don't have to use them.
    You guys don't like widgets? There very useful and you don't have to use them.
    Maybe if there was an app that you could import widgets into...

Widgets would be terrible if they were embedded into WebOS's background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Maybe if there was an app that you could import widgets into...

Widgets would be terrible if they were embedded into WebOS's background.
    What do you mean by an app you can import into.. Do you mean like having a separate card open with widgets in them?
    What do you mean by an app you can import into.. Do you mean like having a separate card open with widgets in them?
    Yea pretty much. That would be the best solution for widgets in WebOS, IMHO. It would also help if we had the option to dock a card to the background.
    I wouldn't mind widgets if it meant I could finally have a today-like screen on my Pre. That is one of the things I miss most about WM and android. There should be an option for those who do like it....

As for Duarte... there is a lot of internecine competition within the industry for various talent. There is much cross pollination of talent and ideas and of course imitation (just look at all the ex-apple people who work at Palm). Having said that I doubt just one person is as important as a team in the development of a platform like webos. Companies like Palm have to continually replenish and compete for talent. Hopefully the HP acquisition will help them in this regard.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    I wouldn't mind widgets if it meant I could finally have a today-like screen on my Pre. That is one of the things I miss most about WM and android. There should be an option for those who do like it....
    Kinda like this?
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/189712-my-home-screen-work-progress.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12