Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Dear all,
    I had that dreaded instance of incomplete partial erase recovery - about 10 yrs of memos gone. These had been with me from Palm OS 3.

Fastforward to my question.
    Previously I'd taken some data off the Pre (a few month ago) I do have a file but it does not have any associations i.e. no program opens this file.

Does anyone recall how data is taken off ( I have forgotten the program - but think it was Palm OS Doctor) and then how I can put the few months old data back in.

If this is not the appropriate forum - please excuse me - and let me know where to post this.

Thanks for reading this far.
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badrsj View Post
    Dear all,
    I had that dreaded instance of incomplete partial erase recovery - about 10 yrs of memos gone. These had been with me from Palm OS 3.

Fastforward to my question.
    Previously I'd taken some data off the Pre (a few month ago) I do have a file but it does not have any associations i.e. no program opens this file.

Does anyone recall how data is taken off ( I have forgotten the program - but think it was Palm OS Doctor) and then how I can put the few months old data back in.

If this is not the appropriate forum - please excuse me - and let me know where to post this.

Thanks for reading this far.
    Regarding the program, I think you're referring to WebOS QuickInstall (not Palm OS Doctor), but what file is it that you have ("I do have a file but it does not have any associations"). Depending what you have, it may or may not have the memos you hope are backed up....
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    As long as you haven't turned off the default Palm backup utility, you have a chance. Call Palm support. Tell them you lost your Memos. Tell them the date in which you believe they were all there. (Maybe a day or two before the day you had the failure to ensure that the backup utility didn't backup the same day you wiped them out, therefore you would be restoring nothing). At this point you should be transferred to tier 2 support. Tier 2 will setup a callback with tier 3 support. It may take a week for the callback, but it's worth it. They will restore the Memos on the server which holds your Palm profile. They will have you do a partial reset and sign in to your Palm profile again and it will pull down your memos.
    Just ran into this issue as well. My Palm Pre (virgin hardware purchased from Sprint on "Day One" last year, no homebrew or patches) started acting funky a few days ago (failed app updates), and then gave me a notification that I was no longer logged into my Palm Profile, and forced me to do a partial erase, and restore. After doing so, it only restored 10 (of 500+ Memos), a few Tasks, and NONE of my 11 year archived Calendar entries. Fortunately, I recently migrated all my Contacts to Google, so they were intact. I just spent THREE HOURS on the phone with overseas Tech Support (level 2) with multiple failed attempts to restore my Calendar and Memos from prior backups. They escalated to Level 3 support, and I'm awaiting a callback. I asked the Tech if this has been an ongoing issue, and she (reluctantly) said YES. My gut feeling is this "failure to backup/restore" is a MAJOR ongoing problem that Palm is trying to keep the lid on. I'm a physician, and had tons of irreplaceable medical references/notes in the Memo's, and 11 years of important personal/professional information in my Calendar entries. If they are not able to restore my data, I'm absolutely done with Palm/HP.