Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    That's exciting! I can't wait to get myself a WebOS tablet
    You're about a day late on posting... someone beat ya to it

http://forums.precentral.net/general...artphones.html
    this guy cause a lot of confusion with this quote and different tech sites took it to mean different things. Precentral cited the same quote and took it to mean that the HP Slate will be launching in October and running Windows 7 as originally planned (http://www.precentral.net/hp-no-webo...ll-tap-october).

What Wong actually said was that HP will adopt WebOS onto tablets and printers. He also said that the HP slate will be launching this year. However he did not say that the HP slate will be a WebOS tablet...

i'll remain cautiously optimistic. Meanwhile i'll wait until I hear something stateside, or see it leaked in the wild before i get antsy

to add to the confusion, engadget had this to say http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/24/h...ws-7-to-webos/ which is the opposite of what they said earlier in the week of the same quote http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/22/h...or-webos-tabl/
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/24/2010 at 05:20 PM.
    I was surprised when I saw that ilovedessert wasn't the author of this post
    I'm going to bet that the HP Slate will NOT run webOS. It's an Atom design, and the biggest problem with it is battery life--which webOS won't solve by itself. Unless they retooled it around an ARM processor, it won't be running webOS.

Rather, I'll bet that the first webOS tablet is one that was already designed by Palm. And, it's probably this tablet that convinced HP that webOS is "scalable." Putting that into production likely just needed money, which HP can provide.

I'm thinking we'll see the HP Slate running Win 7, and an HP Palm tablet running webOS. And both will come this year.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm going to bet that the HP Slate will NOT run webOS. It's an Atom design, and the biggest problem with it is battery life--which webOS won't solve by itself. Unless they retooled it around an ARM processor, it won't be running webOS.

Rather, I'll bet that the first webOS tablet is one that was already designed by Palm. And, it's probably this tablet that convinced HP that webOS is "scalable." Putting that into production likely just needed money, which HP can provide.

I'm thinking we'll see the HP Slate running Win 7, and an HP Palm tablet running webOS. And both will come this year.
    I totally agree... I've heard that the processor is the main reason the Slate won't have WebOS. Personally, I'm hoping for something sexier and sleeker to come out... with expandable memory slot, an Office app, Webcam, and a great virtual keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Agree completely
    I don't get why some peoples heads explode at the thought of hp releasing two tablets running different os'es. They are a multi billion dollar corporation that releases dozens of full product lines a year. Two tablets is definitely more than manageable for them.

My guess is that if the win7 tablet has not been cancelled (there is no strong evidence either way yet, so its impossible to say for sure) it will be released months before a palm tablet, to hold off the market and build some momentum behind hp's tablet endeavors while they overhaul webos to make it a worthwhile product for consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    My guess is that if the win7 tablet has not been cancelled (there is no strong evidence either way yet, so its impossible to say for sure) it will be released months before a palm tablet, to hold off the market and build some momentum behind hp's tablet endeavors while they overhaul webos to make it a worthwhile product for consumers.
    I agree, except: I'm not sure about the Win 7 Slate being released sooner. I think HP has had to go back to the drawing board on that one, simply because battery life and overall performance wasn't up to par. I've been using a Tablet PC for almost a decade, and my current Dell XT runs Win 7 and provides both capacitive multitouch and pen support. But, even running a low-power dual-core Core 2 Duo processor with 3GB of RAM, it's not the smoothest experience. And, my battery life isn't much better than 2.5 hours.

So, in short, I can't imagine running Win 7 on an Atom. And, I can't imagine that HP thinks the Slate can go toe-to-toe with the iPad.

Now, about the webOS tablet: I'll reiterate my guess that Palm had a winning design already at the prototype stage, and that this is what convinced HP to buy Palm. And, all Palm needed to get this to market was funding, which HP can (and maybe already has) provided. So, that's the slate device that HP wants to bring to market to stave off the iPad hype. I'm guessing that we'll see it around October. Whether we ever see the Win 7 Slate depends on whether or not HP can fix what's wrong with it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    HP bought Palm for the IP.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks HP is going to shovel money at Palm? Especially considering the various pressers AND the fact that WebOS is not even its own division, its bundled in with computers.

Nothing they've said, with the exception of printer-talk, which they have been fairly specific on, has at all been encouraging as to their intentions with phones - and the tablet talk has been vague.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    i doubt that would be the only reason...thats like someone having a car that needs an engine...then they buy another car with a great engine...but instead of using that engine they part out the car for a small profit. hp has been looking to get into the smart phone market....why would they not use webOS? do you think they want to try and develop a new os from scratch??...or continue using winmo (which is about as exciting as blackberry)???
    maybe it's just me but i thought windows already had lots of apps (programs) available for all your business needs
    Should call it the "prePad"
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    hp has been looking to get into the smart phone market....

Unless I am mistaken that have said nearly the opposite.
    NYT: HP Lagging in the Smartphone Space

there's one article, all it took was a google search

http://www.precentral.net/hp-we%E2%8...ing-down-webos

here's another that was pretty easy to find (it was posted on this site)
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I was surprised when I saw that ilovedessert wasn't the author of this post
    LOL, sorry if I post a great deal. Having Fibromyalgia, means I sleep poorly. I therefore have a great deal of time, to read about the Pre/Palm?HP online. I hope I am not boring all of you! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    LOL, sorry if I post a great deal. Having Fibromyalgia, means I sleep poorly. I therefore have a great deal of time, to read about the Pre/Palm?HP online. I hope I am not boring all of you! Take care, Jay
    Nope, not boring us at all. I think that folks have just gotten accustomed to getting this sort of news from you, which is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    NYT: HP Lagging in the Smartphone Space

there's one article, all it took was a google search

http://www.precentral.net/hp-we%E2%8...ing-down-webos

here's another that was pretty easy to find (it was posted on this site)
    Was this directed at my comment?

(I am answering as if it was; otherwise, never mind!)

Yes, we all know the "we're doubling down" comment, but it has always been said in context of WebOS, not phones.

I would love to see a quote anywhere - FROM HP - where they are committed to smart phones, or where they are planning on building the Palm smartphone brand with this acquisition. Its the classic vague speech, every time: enough to soothe people but not enough to get them in trouble for committing to anything they don't plan on doing.

The only thing concrete they have gone on record with is WebOS and printers.

The first article you posted talked about the industry's "concern" about HP in the smart phone space, but again, nothing from the company itself.

So if your links were directed towards me, I am not convinced, at all.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks HP is going to shovel money at Palm? Especially considering the various pressers AND the fact that WebOS is not even its own division, its bundled in with computers.

Nothing they've said, with the exception of printer-talk, which they have been fairly specific on, has at all been encouraging as to their intentions with phones - and the tablet talk has been vague.
    We must be from alternate universes. Everything I've read that HP has had to say about this acquisition is that they plan to put webOS on as many devices as they can. The only thing they've said about smartphones specifically is that their webOS investments won't be limited to them. Since HP has recognized that smarthphones represent a potential $200 billion market, I doubt that they plan to ignore it.
    I would love to see a quote anywhere - FROM HP - where they are committed to smart phones, or where they are planning on building the Palm smartphone brand with this acquisition. Its the classic vague speech, every time: enough to soothe people but not enough to get them in trouble for committing to anything they don't plan on doing.
    From the press release: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr...100428xa.html:

The combination of HP’s global scale and financial strength with Palm’s unparalleled webOS platform will enhance HP’s ability to participate more aggressively in the fast-growing, highly profitable smartphone and connected mobile device markets. Palm’s unique webOS will allow HP to take advantage of features such as true multitasking and always up-to-date information sharing across applications.
    There's one. I'm sure I can find many more.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast