Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    LOL, sorry if I post a great deal. Having Fibromyalgia, means I sleep poorly. I therefore have a great deal of time, to read about the Pre/Palm?HP online. I hope I am not boring all of you! Take care, Jay
    Actually, keep it up! Somehow you seem to find all the breaking news before everyone else. That's great! Every time I see the running dog, I know a new story came across the wire that I want to read.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    From the press release: HP to Acquire Palm for $1.2 Billion



    There's one. I'm sure I can find many more.

    (I fixed your link)

    that statement IS the closest there has been to anything supporting smart phones in the current sense of what a smart phone is. Everything else is either supposition by industry analysts, or about using WebOS on multiple mobile devices, and specifically with printers.

    I get that few see it this way, so i just suppose time will tell who is right. It's just a war of opinions at this point.

    But I write press releases for a living and I see the classic no-speak/non-committal language at work.

    Maybe I am wrong.

    Additionally, if I am wrong, why on earth, giving the avalanche of phones this summer would they not even hint there was something coming?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Actually, keep it up! Somehow you seem to find all the breaking news before everyone else. That's great! Every time I see the running dog, I know a new story came across the wire that I want to read.
    That goes for me too.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Additionally, if I am wrong, why on earth, giving the avalanche of phones this summer would they not even hint there was something coming?
    Because the deal's not closed yet. Simple as that, I think.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #25  
    Well then, all who still have their Pre should have a very exciting Fall.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Well then, all who still have their Pre should have a very exciting Fall.
    Absolutely. The combination of the webOS updates that were recently discussed at the Palm development meeting and the next-gen smartphone and tablet possibilities are very exciting. It's just going to be a long summer, because I don't think we'll hear anything more until August.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    (I fixed your link)

    that statement IS the closest there has been to anything supporting smart phones in the current sense of what a smart phone is. Everything else is either supposition by industry analysts, or about using WebOS on multiple mobile devices, and specifically with printers.

    I get that few see it this way, so i just suppose time will tell who is right. It's just a war of opinions at this point.

    But I write press releases for a living and I see the classic no-speak/non-committal language at work.

    Maybe I am wrong.

    Additionally, if I am wrong, why on earth, giving the avalanche of phones this summer would they not even hint there was something coming?
    I simply cannot believe hp would buy palm and not use webos on smartphones and tablets. Before the buyout ruby and his team were working rigorously to find the right buyer. They turned down at least two other companies that were only interested in buying palm for the ip. One company even offered as much as 7 dollars per share for palm (as opposed to the 5.70 hp paid) and was not taken up on the offer because they were only interested in the ip. When palm was going through its bidding phase ruby made sure that palm would be bought by a company that was interested in continuing the development of webos.

    I've read pretty much every article that has come out since the buyout rumors started (thanks to Jay of course) and I honestly think hp was the perfect fit for palm.
  8. #28  
    here's one from the new york times: Hewlett-Packard, a Technology Powerhouse, Stumbles in Smartphones - NYTimes.com

    “We are committed to the phone space,” said Phil McKinney, the chief technology officer in H.P.’s personal systems group, in a recent interview.
    doesn't get much more direct in terms of quotes than that lol. of curse this was before palm went for sale so there is no mention of webOS...but i think that quote says alot
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Additionally, if I am wrong, why on earth, giving the avalanche of phones this summer would they not even hint there was something coming?
    i wonder that also sometimes but maybe (yes...maybe lol) with all thats going on with the buyout right now (which in some ways is bad timing because it falls right when other companies are putting their phones out) they need to concentrate on the future of the company, and sure a new phone would help with that but if anything were to come out soon it would probably be almost done entirely by palm with little help from hp meaning that it would take alot of manpower and time from palm. and right now the buyout is more important in terms of the future for the company, maybe they are just cutting their losses this year instead of rushing a new phone that will again be released AFTER all the more popular phones come out. maybe they're gonna take this year off and try to come out with a phone with hp's help and actually try to release it on time next year. i hope i'm wrong cuz i'd really love to see another webos phone this year but i could kind of see the reasoning behind the other scenario happening instead. again....i hope i'm wrong lol
  10. #30  
    Ground Control to webOS community, get ready for liftoff!
  11. #31  
    As excited as i am at the thought of a webOS tablet idk if i could justify the purchase
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    here's one from the new york times: Hewlett-Packard, a Technology Powerhouse, Stumbles in Smartphones - NYTimes.com



    doesn't get much more direct in terms of quotes than that lol. of curse this was before palm went for sale so there is no mention of webOS...but i think that quote says alot
    Annnnd, the rest of that quote:

    "H.P. continues to say that it is serious about smartphones, even though sales of hand-helds have fallen about 80 percent over the last five years. “We are committed to the phone space,” said Phil McKinney, the chief technology officer in H.P.’s personal systems group, in a recent interview. However, he declined to discuss the company’s future smartphone products or plans."
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    As excited as i am at the thought of a webOS tablet idk if i could justify the purchase
    Yes. Don't think that I want one, but I would love to see one hit the market.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Annnnd, the rest of that quote:

    "H.P. continues to say that it is serious about smartphones, even though sales of hand-helds have fallen about 80 percent over the last five years. “We are committed to the phone space,” said Phil McKinney, the chief technology officer in H.P.’s personal systems group, in a recent interview. However, he declined to discuss the company’s future smartphone products or plans."
    lol...ooook....unless i'm reading that wrong...it says...hp is serious about smartphones...&..."committed to the phone space"...someone please correct me if that's not what it says lol
  15. #35  
    Can't wait!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    lol...ooook....unless i'm reading that wrong...it says...hp is serious about smartphones...&..."committed to the phone space"...someone please correct me if that's not what it says lol
    Nope, that's exactly what it says. Why someone would post this quote in an attempt to convince me that there won't be hp/webos devices is beyond me.
  17. #37  
    I am just reading between the lines:

    "We are committed to the phone space" (not even saying "smart phones," or "consumer phones" or anything else that might related to phones in the sense we are talking about -- what IS "phone space" anyhow??), with a refusal to talk about anything else, speaks volumes to me in a press release.

    Completely and intentionally vague.

    Note that the portion about HP being "completely serious about smartphones" is a quote from the AUTHOR of the article, not from HP.

    And HP declined to say any more.

    If you take comfort in that, great. We really won't know til we know, so no need to hash it.

    We read this information differently and I doubt further analysis of their statements will convince either of us. Time will tell.
  18. #38  
    I really don't get why anyone thinks hp would buy palm for 1.2 billion dollars and not have plans to use webos on phones and other mobile devices. This is the fastest growing sector in the tech industry right now, of course hp wants to get a piece of the pie. I perfectly understand that there is not yet an official statement on what they plan to use webos for, but to me it is just a matter of common sense. Why would they buy palm for the ip, if they aren't going to take advantage of it by using it to create phones? Are they just going to be patent trolls, suing apple over copying palms dialer and ringer switch? I think not. The ip is only valuable to them because they plan on using it to back their own smartphones running their own os.
  19. #39  
    I do agree that they are using it to back products of their own, running their own OS.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I really don't get why anyone thinks hp would buy palm for 1.2 billion dollars and not have plans to use webos on phones and other mobile devices. This is the fastest growing sector in the tech industry right now, of course hp wants to get a piece of the pie.
    Hi, I think you are 100% right! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions