Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if this only bugs me, or is a problem with only my phone, but webOS takes FOREVER to start up. Anyway to speed this up without overclocking?
    No though I cannot imagine a reason you would not want to unless you are trying to stay patch free which I would not recommend unless you are a technophobe but then webos wouldn't really be for one
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Overclocking, to me, doesn't result in a noticeable increase in boot time.

It sucks I know. New android phones and iphone 3GS take around 20'ish seconds. The Pre is around 1min 40sec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Overclocking, to me, doesn't result in a noticeable increase in boot time.
    Yeah overclocking only gives around a 10 second decrease to boot time
    You guys have to realize that the palm pre/plus as a lot of data,and it does take time to bring back all your information at one time... So stop the whining and just be patient,you wait longer for your food at Ihop. LOL
    Not at the IHOP by me
    I generally don't have a problem with the boot time being a couple of minutes. It is just one of those things that will evolve over updates to improve. With 1.0.3, it was even worse.
    Try this, get the app from preware Reboot Scheduler, set it to reboot before you wake up in the morning.That way you won't even notice it and your daily reboot is taken care of.
    My only problem with rebooting qhile I sleep is that any notifications I get before it restarts are vanished.
    if it helps, my blackerry curve tales longer to boot than my pre+, and I have to pull the battery sever times a week because it locks up. And blackerry is supposed to be mature...
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Daily reboot? I never reboot unless I have some kind of problem. It does take what seems like forever to reboot though. Should I just reboot for the heck of it? Seems like once a week would be more like it.
    Worst thing is if your pre has run out of battery and you want to reboot. Takes around 12 mins!
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    You guys have to realize that the palm pre/plus as a lot of data,and it does take time to bring back all your information at one time... So stop the whining and just be patient,you wait longer for your food at Ihop. LOL
    My samsung moment has alot of data to load and it doesn't take no where near the amount of time that my pixi use to. And the pixi loads faster than the pre.
    I have my Pre set up to reboot at 6:30 am while I am getting ready to leave for work.I believe there is a thread up now by pasttorich on pre upkeep, he also agrees a daily reboot keeps your Pre fresh and on it's toes.Your Pre is basically a small PC and we all know how much better they act after a fresh boot. My 2 cents,hope it helps.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrose001 View Post
    I have my Pre set up to reboot at 6:30 am while I am getting ready to leave for work.I believe there is a thread up now by pasttorich on pre upkeep, he also agrees a daily reboot keeps your Pre fresh and on it's toes.Your Pre is basically a small PC and we all know how much better they act after a fresh boot. My 2 cents,hope it helps.

I wouldn't mind the long reboot... except with this new "too many cards" error, I find myself rebooting quite often...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I mind it... takes over 1.5 minutes, sometimes 2-3.

When Android Devices and even (don't hurt me) iphone takes like 20'ish seconds.
    Yes, I do miss the days of 3-5sec reboots on my old Palm OS5 devices (Sony Clies, so none of the NVFS crap).

However, other then speeding up reboots, I think it's more important for Palm to prevent whole system crashes. It's a multitasking OS, when an application crashes, the OS (Luna manager, in this case?) should just kill that application instead of rebooting the whole system.
    I timed mine at 1 min 45 secs. Not quite 'forever' but feels like it.
    Of course if it is just to clear the memory then a luna restart is faster.
    My Palm Pre Plus takes at least 3 minutes...at least....I think it might be up to 4 or 5 sometimes. I notice it when I'm flying somewhere, and upon landing we can turn our phones back on. Withink 30 seconds, all the other smartphone users are up and running. I usually have exited the plane before I can use mine. It embarrasses me...but then again, I do have that recurring dream about waking up in class in my underwear. And mine doesn't have Calvin Klein's name on it like Marty McFly!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Other devices deal with similar amounts of data and dont take nearly as long to boot up. if the loading of data is what i'd taking so much time, I would imagine that palm can figure out away to load the most urgent data first, give the user access to the device, then load the rest in the background
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 04/21/2011 at 01:01 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast