View Poll Results: Do we really want webOS printers?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would buy a printer with a webOS control surface on it.

8 22.22%
  • I would rather get a new phone that could output to HP printers wirelessly.

28 77.78%
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    After watching the video of the Touchsmart printer, it seems to me the better idea would be to retool a new phone model to work via wifi with compatible HP printers. I would actually buy a new HP printer, with no display whatsoever, if I knew my new webOS phone would print to it.

How long would I actually want to be standing at my printer? That device doesn't need to have a phone planted on top of it. No, the phone needs to be a little smarter so it can connect to a variety of home devices. Not webOS itself in every device.

They're doing it wrong.
    NO...I want a new WeboS phone...not a tablet...not a printer..
    it hasn't been said that the printer will run the full WebOS experience. It will most likely be a stripped down version with a Luna frontend built especially for printer functionality. WebOS is more than just what you see when your Pre loads, the Luna UI is just a piece of it.
    My answer is not an option... HELL NO! I wouldn't care less about a printer.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Strong liklihood also that a WebOS phone will be able to print quite easily to a printer running a stripped down WebOS too. Given HP's market share in printers it would become one more selling point for a WebOS phone.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    it hasn't been said that the printer will run the full WebOS experience. It will most likely be a stripped down version with a Luna frontend built especially for printer functionality. WebOS is more than just what you see when your Pre loads, the Luna UI is just a piece of it.
    I understand that, but looking at the video for the current Touchsmart, it seems like it's most of the way there towards a full webOS UI as it is. There's a web browser, app store, google maps, etc. It just seems like misplaced technology. Like uh.. I dunno.. R2-D2 relegated to serving drinks on Jabba's sail barge.

I think this is just a dumb idea. Think about, the purpose of webOS is the user experience -- how often do you actually use the controls on the front of your printer?

For me, once the printer is setup the only time I EVER use the controls on the printer itself is to reset it after a paper jam. Seems like a GROSSLY overuse of webOS.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    If having a webOS printer makes HP happy, then I'm all for it. Phones will keep coming as long as we have their big bucks behind us.
    The poll isn't very meaningful. How about we get both wireless printing AND a webOS interface on an HP (printer) multifunction device.

Folks, having worked for a company that made document-centric products (Ricoh), I can say that a webOS device would be awesome. You could print via the cloud from a webOS smartphone and tablet, you could print directly from webOS-supported photo services (e.g., Facebook, Photobucket, etc.), and just as interestingly you could scan to the cloud from the multifunction device. Think about scanning a business card and having a new contact created--and that's just a simple example of what could be done. I know that I'd love to scan documents directly into my Evernote account via a webOS interface, while a photo is being printed.

Hell, you could even send a fax from your smartphone and tablet if you wanted to.

I think that so far people are taking the "HP is putting webOS on printers" thing way too literally. HP makes multifunction devices that are really information hubs that do a heckuva lot more than just print. If you think about them that way, then I think you can realize how powerful such a thing would be. And not just for the home, but perhaps even more so for the enterprise--which means that HP will be even more incented to put resources into webOS.

It's all good, folks.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Strong liklihood also that a WebOS phone will be able to print quite easily to a printer running a stripped down WebOS too. Given HP's market share in printers it would become one more selling point for a WebOS phone.

WERD!

I wouldn't run out and buy one, but if I needed a printer and it was in my budget I would buy one (I say this while typing on my Compaq, looking at an HP LCD, and sitting next to my HP all-in-one I have had for 6ish years).

Anyways, if they own the software, and the software integrates with their hardware I see it as a no lose. The software is efficient, and if they can make it all work at a price that makes their printers competitive I don't see why they wouldn't use what they own. If they are committed to the "smart" printer market it would be a plus to use an interface/OS that your company is already going to be continually developing instead of developing and upgrading a separate interface/OS that functions nearly the same just for your printers.
    The more things that feature the WebOS interface, the better it is for everyone! Even if they throw the OS on refrigerators, air conditioners, printers, humidifiers... who cares. It's actually GREAT for Palm! If someone walks into a store to buy a new phone and they are looking at the standard selection of companies and OS's.... they look at the Palm device and recognize the WebOS setup because they have it on something else, are familiar with it, and know how to use it. The more recognizable WebOS is - even if it's because its on a printer - the more familiar people are with it and the more WebOS phones will be sold because of that recognition and comfort level.
    It doesn't matter if we want a WebOS printer or not. It's HPs baby now, and they're going to make danged sure they get their money's worth out of the property. WebOS is going to end up on whatever platform HP can get it onto from here on in.

Edit: There should be a "I couldn't care less what HP throws WebOS on" choice.
    Some kind of printer support would be nice...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    no who stays at a printer that long waste of time and money..
    I will entertain the idea of WebOS style OS on printers. Of Course, it needs to sync with WebOS phones.
    Sure, why not. Printers are the one piece of tech that I absolutely hate right now. I've never had a printer that just works, they always give me problems. I want to throw my epson printer out the window right now, its the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. If a webos printer meant it would be easy to use, and wouldn't give me any hassle, I would buy the ****** out of it.
    I think it would be cool. Being able to login to your facebook account directly on the printer and being able to print out photos. Previewing documents before they print. Setup remote printing so you can print from anywhere. With app support a lot can be done.

I want both of your poll options. I would like to print from my Pre and I would like a printer with webOS.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    After watching the video of the Touchsmart printer, it seems to me the better idea would be to retool a new phone model to work via wifi with compatible HP printers. I would actually buy a new HP printer, with no display whatsoever, if I knew my new webOS phone would print to it.

How long would I actually want to be standing at my printer? That device doesn't need to have a phone planted on top of it. No, the phone needs to be a little smarter so it can connect to a variety of home devices. Not webOS itself in every device.

They're doing it wrong.
    What are you talking about? Have you ever used one of HP's touch-interface printers or ones that are becoming more and more web-aware?

The point of using something like webOS on a printer has little to nothing to do with its phone or wifi capabilities. It has more to do with how printers are interacting with the web and running various applications so they can add more value than older printers.

It makes perfect sense that HP would investigate this use of webOS considering the direction their printers have been taking the past several years.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Interesting comments, everyone, especially the notion of inputting scanned information to your cloud service.

Also, sorry I didn't get everyone's possible response in the poll, it wasn't meant to be a scientific analysis, just a quick thumbnail to see if anyone but myself thought it was a loopy idea.

Maybe what it comes down to is operating style.. I've always relegated printers as being third tier interface devices, like hard drives and routers. Something that should be hidden away in a drawer or closet, and exist soley to spit out paper when requested to. Which, anymore, is rare.. I print fewer documents every year as cloud services increase.

There is nothing I could do from the printer panel that I wouldn't rather do from a phone in my comfy chair across the room, or on a computer at a desk. (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) For the way I work, it's a solution to a nonexistent problem.