Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Am i the only on that thinks WebOS is not ready for tablets yet? Or i am just being a little to cautious of my baby that is WebOS? Or am i acting like a nervous parent with his kid about to step up to the batters box ? There is no Solid Document editor, and WebOS does need some more polishing..
    What...the......????
    I will agree that WebOS could use some more polish. However, I do feel that WebOS would be great on a tablet. With HP about to own Palm, we're sure to get a bunch of higher quality apps to edit documents and other important tasks.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    While I think that there are some things missing, such as doc editing, the os in general will be great on a tablet device...
    I agree with the OP whole-heartedly. The OS could use a lot more polish still. A tablet would be an opportunity to re-launch the OS, and if the first impressions leave a bad taste in many users' mouths again like the initial launch, it'd be trouble.
    ijust purchased a cheap tablet this weekend to start trying some hacking. I can use all the help i can get if anyone is willing to give it.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx62391@yahoo.com View Post
    ijust purchased a cheap tablet this weekend to start trying some hacking. I can use all the help i can get if anyone is willing to give it.
    hack webos onto it!!!

seriously, now that someone has managed to load webos on a pc (i know it's not quite there) i'd love to see someone hack it on a tablet. or better still, an ipad.

Someone put webos on an ipad!!! great publicity stunt!
    Watching the developer videos from palm and they just seem to be building towards somthing big.
    They don't seem to care about competing with iphone OS or android OS or the ipad, they just want to build a platform that is amazing. I'm pretty sure that their idea will be realised on a webOS tablet.
    If they took webos as it is now and just put it on a 10" screen I probably wouldn't buy it. There needs to be a way to get books, music, and movies on it wirelessly before I buy it. On top of that we need a more feature rich browser, Bluetooth support, and a good selection of apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    If they took webos as it is now and just put it on a 10" screen I probably wouldn't buy it. There needs to be a way to get books, music, and movies on it wirelessly before I buy it. On top of that we need a more feature rich browser, Bluetooth support, and a good selection of apps.
    Replace webOS with iPhone OS and that's exactly what Apple did.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    it had the ability to buy music from Amazon from the start, so that's one down. What Bluetooth support does it need that it doesn't have now? Keyboards & mice? That would be nice to have for the webOS phones.
    I cant wait for a webos tablet IMO its gonna be great
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    The idea of WebOS on a tablet sounds great, but I'm afraid the reality of it (given the current condition of WebOS) isn't so great.

There's a lot that needs to be done to make WebOS great on a tablet. It begins with optimizing WebOS, making the experience more refined and enjoyable – nice hardware isn't going to solve all of the problems.

Next, they need to get a lot of developers on board and REALLY start building the app store; Apple's iPad app store is pushing around 150 - 200 new applications a DAY right now. The iPad already has 3x the amount of applications (~6500, and that doesn't include the almost 200k compatible iPhone apps) than WebOS has in its year of existence.

They need companies like Netflix, ABC, etc. backing it like they back the iPad … the public takes notice to this. They don't see the ability to access ABC tv shows, etc. via the browser because WebOS supports flash, they see that ABC, Netflix, etc. has native applications and fully supporting the iPad, therefor the content and experience must be rich.

There are a lot of other things but I need to head to bed. I think Palm/HP can make it happen, they just need to take their time and get it right the first time. Just my $0.02.
    I'm pretty sure some things are going to be changed or added to a version of WebOs running on a tablet. It's probably not going to be the same exact version running on the Pre/Pixi at the moment. I think HP will do something similar to how apple changed their OS a bit to compensate for the larger screen on the iPad.

What i'm trying to say, HP is not simply going to throw 1.4.1.1 on a tablet and say "good enough"
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    IMO it's great, but first thing is to reorganize the interface to work on tablets. Card view is great for limited space but with so much screen estate, there can be more use.

And optimize the system. Give us a 1.0 device and I'll expect the basics redefined.

Lastly, I just want a lot of easter eggs. We don't need everything done, just asap. I like it when our homebrew devs tinker and find out what they can do!
    well I think that palm prolly has things up their sleeves. They could actually have a steady version for a tablet, IMO. Haha only way to find out is working with the guys. If they think they can, they can. I dont think theyre dumb enough to repeat a failure. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes. I honestly believe that have stuff wrapped up. First time jus didn't come out right.
    Some might argue, not unreasonably, that WebOS is not ready for a phone, let alone a tablet. As much as many around here would like to believe that it is a real contender to the iPhone, most know that the iPhone OS is a very mature platform.

It was ready for prime time on day one. The features it was missing were not important to the market of its day. It brought a new paradigm to the smartphone world and that world has not been the same since then.

WebOS was 100% reactionary. By the time it launched, the iPhone lead was too great. WebOS launched with many deficiencies for its time. It is still in the early stages compared to the iPhone OS. The problems with the Pre and Pixi were never all about the hardware. The threads detailing the problems are in sticky form on this forum so that anyone can see this for themselves.

WebOS was rushed to market before it got its pants on to try and compete with the iPhone. Now, they want to do the same thing with a tablet. The slaughter in the marketplace will be even worse than it was in the phone space. Once again, Palm is chasing Apple before they have their pants on. At this rate, Palm will never have a mature smartphone platform. They have to quit reflexively jumping at Apple's shadow. Palm needs to take the time, while they have the time and resources, to finnish one project before dashing off, half cocked, to the next, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The idea of WebOS on a tablet sounds great, but I'm afraid the reality of it (given the current condition of WebOS) isn't so great.

There's a lot that needs to be done to make WebOS great on a tablet. It begins with optimizing WebOS, making the experience more refined and enjoyable – nice hardware isn't going to solve all of the problems.

Next, they need to get a lot of developers on board and REALLY start building the app store; Apple's iPad app store is pushing around 150 - 200 new applications a DAY right now. The iPad already has 3x the amount of applications (~6500, and that doesn't include the almost 200k compatible iPhone apps) than WebOS has in its year of existence.

They need companies like Netflix, ABC, etc. backing it like they back the iPad … the public takes notice to this. They don't see the ability to access ABC tv shows, etc. via the browser because WebOS supports flash, they see that ABC, Netflix, etc. has native applications and fully supporting the iPad, therefor the content and experience must be rich.

There are a lot of other things but I need to head to bed. I think Palm/HP can make it happen, they just need to take their time and get it right the first time. Just my $0.02.
    What s/he said.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I don't think a lot of people understand the resources that HP can bring to this project. Assuming this merger goes through, HP can probably do more work on WebOS in a year than Palm could do in 5+

Again, IF this merger goes through.. people need to stop thinking of Palm as a small company with limited resources.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I agree with most that while webOS has potential on a tablet it is not mature enough yet and, even more so than on a smartphone, apps are so extremely important. Without a decent catalog of quality productive apps this is going to be a bigger fail than Pre/Pixi!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast