Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I thought I was the only guy on the planet that has no desire for a tablet, until I read this article:

My iPad tryst: I craved, I caved, I gave up - Wireless- msnbc.com

The whole thing seems entirely pointless to me. A tablet is too big to be "portable", too small to be a TV / Game console, and not powerful enough to be a Laptop.

I just don,t get the benefit. Awkward, unwieldy, etc.

I'll use my phone for "on the go" info gathering, etc. (and those that go for the huge screen EVO get most of the tablet pluses, anyway) and wait until I get to a laptop or desktop to go more in depth, etc.

I think the "new car smell" will wear off quickly on these tablets.
    That guy clearly doesn't know what a tablet is for. You can't just buy tech without knowing what to do with it and then complaining that you're ignorant about its uses.

If you know it can't compare to a netbook for you, don't even try. You'll just end up complaining like the people on this forum who should've gotten an iphone in the first place. For me, and many others it seems, the ipad has proven extremely useable because I knew what i wanted it for. Since then, I've discovered much more than I thought it was capable of and it's proven even more valuable.

Webos on simply thrown onto a tablet would not compete. HP might have resources, but it's going to take time to mature webos and build the alliances that are helping the ipad prosper. As was said, it needs to be fully baked on day one. They need to take the time and go back to ensure that what they release will not hurt the brand like the pre has. The market palm wants is full of tech ignorant people so the device must be as fool proof as possible.

And one last thing, palm (with HP) needs a charismatic leader to attract hype and business partnerships. Ruby isn't really that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    That guy clearly doesn't know what a tablet is for. You can't just buy tech without knowing what to do with it and then complaining that you're ignorant about its uses.

If you know it can't compare to a netbook for you, don't even try. You'll just end up complaining like the people on this forum who should've gotten an iphone in the first place. For me, and many others it seems, the ipad has proven extremely useable because I knew what i wanted it for. Since then, I've discovered much more than I thought it was capable of and it's proven even more valuable.

Enlighten me, please. What is the tablet "for" that he and I are missing?
    Well, you're not missing anything, you don't sound like a tablet kind of guy. Most people on tech sites like this like control and the freedom to do whatever they can think of and Apple doesn't cater to that. It's not a laptop/netbook replacement for full on tech geeks. It is a laptop/ netbook replacement for casual users. I wouldn't recommend this to any of my nerdy friends and have faced their scorn for getting one.

But as for me, I bought it to read books and comic books on. The screen size is perfect for comics and i don't find it that difficult to hold, even when laying sideways on a couch. That was the killer app for me. Since then, I found that I like having an instant on computer ready to use whenever I suddenly want to google something. I've found games and mmo's that I didn't think I'd enjoy playing, but do. I found that doing soduku puzzles on it is easier than on my pre. And I've found that I'd much rather surf the net on it anywhere tetherered to my pre rather than on my pre. I don't find it too heavy or difficult to bring places. In fact, i bring it everywhere since it's lighter than my laptop.

So of course, you can do all this on a netbook (though reading comics on a landscape screen sucks), but it's just so much easier to pick up and use. If I want to spend just 30 seconds on it looking up something quick, I can, and then turn it right back off. It's takes my laptop that much just to wake up and then start up the browser. It's just more convienent with the ipad just laying on the coffee table ready to go at anytime.
    One other interesting thing i've realized lately is that I actually like the boundaries apple has set to keep me from getting into trouble. Some of the places I go on the net are crawling with viruses and spyware (it's not just the **** sites, but partly is ) I have a separate hard drive on my desktop for my OS so that I can reformat it every six months cause despite my firewall and antivirus and antispyware software, that stuff still gets in.

The iphone OS isn't yet as prone to getting struck down by catastrophic viruses yet because apple limitations to where you can go and do on the net. It gives me a comfortable feeling in that way.
    Thanks. You are correct in that it does not appear that it is for me. But, I appreciate your explanation of what you find appealing about it. I'm glad there is a device that meets that need / desire for you.
    like some people said HP knows how to optimized a OS and a product thats why most people think this is a good deal for PALM. There not going to release it until everything is optimized and ready to go, and it will be I think too let them take their time developers will always be there, and apps will come just sit back and watch the show its going to be a good one.
    Yeah, I would get a tablet only as a glorified ebook reader, tbh. And video streamer.

Personally, I think WebOS could more than go to tablets...as long as HP pulls an Apple and pays all these companies to make stuff for it and transform their sites. As long as it didn't look like an iPad. Seriously, the iPad is waaaaaay too big and needs some grips on the back to hold it or some other better way of holding it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Yeah i'm with the guys who believe slates to be useless, or nearly so, expecually compared to other devices on the market.

Why would you pay 500-1000 for a device which is more expensive but less feature-full as a netbook/real computer (with both choices being equally portable). A smart-phone fills the portability need, while a laptop has the features with small hit in portability. The in-between slates are just businesses trying to create a new market in which they can get more money out of people with coolness being the draw instead of usefulness.

If you want a device for reading, instead of wanting actual books/comics, I bet the Kindle (or Sony's product) would be a much cheaper and better buy if you were opposed to a computer. If you wanted an instant-on computer, I wouldn't quite call a slate feature-full enough to fill that need, and windows 7 seems to have a 5-10 second load time from sleep for me.

However, I imagine I would probably eat my words and buy a WebOS slate, if I suddenly find $500 I don't need.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    However, I imagine I would probably eat my words and buy a WebOS slate, if I suddenly find $500 I don't need.
    Oh yeah, that, too! I would not buy it for $500. Maybe $300-350.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Am i the only on that thinks WebOS is not ready for tablets yet? Or i am just being a little to cautious of my baby that is WebOS? Or am i acting like a nervous parent with his kid about to step up to the batters box ? There is no Solid Document editor, and WebOS does need some more polishing..

i think most of the issues surrounding WebOS would be fixed by having a better processor. There will be a need for more and better Utility apps if the tablet is to be successful. Palm and HP could take care of that on their own (like Apple did with iWork) Other than that, i'd say its ready to go.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12