Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Strictly speculation at this point but the more HP keeps touting webOS for slates and printers the more I feel the webOS smartphone will be more of an afterthought.

HP's roots is with PC's and will probably stick with what they're good at. If they can come up with a "killer" slate and it's a good possibility with webOS, HP can quickly become the leader in this market.

The smartphone market is a different story. Chances are they are re-evaluating the palm handset design and possibly making changes for a completely revamped handset. I don't see this emerging till some time next year.

The way I see it webOS has pretty much bottomed out losing market share in the handset market and with the deep pockets of HP can afford to "coast" with minor updates here and there.

I'm thinking watch out for some pretty "cool" technology once the "HP Slate" is released that will somehow integrate "new synergy" with the next generation HP/Palm webOS handsets.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I believe that HP bought palm for the web os and NOT for the smartphone business. I think most of the investments will be to integrate web os into their consumer products. I also feel , because of this strategy that the next smartphone will be a low end consumer model.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I hope your both wrong.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I hope your both wrong.
    Me too
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just speculation, but, I think that hp wants to get a foot into the smartphone market. I don't think they'll let that opportunity slip away by neglecting the market that palm already has. I'm pretty sure that they'll work on developing a new phone even while they're working on the tablet. I'm hoping to see a new WebOs phone with great hardware early next year... ( Just in time for my annual upgrade )
    In seeing that HP is keeping Rubenstein to run the business, I don't think this will be the case. They'll allow Palm to continue to do what they do while HP takes WebOS further into their tablets/slates etc.

HP is the parent company. Palm (or whatever it will be called) will continue to do what they do best, smartphones. Several companies already exist within the HP umbrella and they run as separate business units, as will Palm.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    In seeing that HP is keeping Rubenstein to run the business, I don't think this will be the case. They'll allow Palm to continue to do what they do while HP takes WebOS further into their tablets/slates etc.

HP is the parent company. Palm (or whatever it will be called) will continue to do what they do best, smartphones. Several companies already exist within the HP umbrella and they run as separate business units, as will Palm.
    keep the best of Palm, and give Palm the best of HP(the cash) I like it!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlruss View Post
    Just speculation, but, I think that hp wants to get a foot into the smartphone market. I don't think they'll let that opportunity slip away by neglecting the market that palm already has. I'm pretty sure that they'll work on developing a new phone even while they're working on the tablet. I'm hoping to see a new WebOs phone with great hardware early next year... ( Just in time for my annual upgrade )
    Yes 100% on this note...Heck everyone wants a share of the Smartphone Market that's growing exponentially compared to computers. Sorli...
    To the Hpalm haters -- why would hp/palm abandon the smartphone market. They have a good chance to be one of the top three, why would they throw that away.

The reason hp is talking up tablets and not phones is because they don't own palm yet so obviously they have no plans ready to discuss. Why start talking up phones your going to make when they don't even own palm yet. Besides they are going to keep palm in tact anyway and let them take care of the phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post

this is what exactly what they are doing very well said. Think about it people otherwise why would HP keep rubenistein and the whole palm internals team, if they only wanted the OS and to just make tablets. They have engineers to work webos on their own into tablets, printers etc. They know Palm knows how to not only make great smartphones (hardware is your preference), and they stated they intended on taking on the smartphone market from the jump. So I believe they will let Palm come up with the phones (helping them with the designs with their engineers) while they continue to focus on applying Webos into everything else they provide electronicly on the market.
    I'm happy they are going to the Tablet first. What do you think they would make more money on a Tablet or Phone?

They missed their oppotunit to make a big announcement to deter people from junping ship to the Evo4G.

Now they can focus on the tablet and when there is another good opportunity they can release a phone with a much more mature OS and by then there will be more apps a stronger ecosystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    The reason hp is talking up tablets and not phones is because they don't own palm yet so obviously they have no plans ready to discuss. Why start talking up phones your going to make when they don't even own palm yet.
    Despite your redundant assertion, I have no idea what you're talking about. You say that HP will not talk about phones because they don't own Palm, yet that same lack of ownership is not keeping them from talking up tablets and printers.

They seem to be talking up everything that comes to mind; everything, that is, except phones. It is equally possible that they will let the smartphone division die while focusing on WebOS in the tablet computing space. Let's not forget printers.

As for phones, perhaps HP realizes that neither they nor Palm has been able to come up with anything competitive in the modern, consumer smartphone space. It is not like anyone picked up a Pre and said, "This would be so much better if it were combined with that compelling HP hardware." Nor do I believe there are any owners of HP's current phones that are saying, "If only this had WebOS." Putting failed software on failed hardware does not a successful platform make.

A tablet is a slightly different story. I say slightly because HP has been making tablets for years and has never been able to sell them to the masses. At least Palm has no history of failing in the tablet space. Then again, there is no reason to believe that they will find success there, either. After all, WebOS was made for phones. It was to be the iPhone killer. Once those iPhone contracts ran out, there would be no one who would re-up. Instead, they would defect to the Pre. That didn't happen. It is never going to happen. Since WebOS failed to excite the market in the space for which it was designed, why should anyone believe it will ignite the market in a space like the tablet?... Or printers?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    If you do a search, HP execs talk alot about smartphones and jumping in on the market. Here's one that I just pulled up...

HP to Acquire Palm for .2 Billion :: Smartphone Biz-News.com

HP seems to be very excited about the acquisition of Palm for mobile devices including smartphones...
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlruss View Post
    If you do a search, HP execs talk alot about smartphones and jumping in on the market. Here's one that I just pulled up...

HP to Acquire Palm for .2 Billion :: Smartphone Biz-News.com

HP seems to be very excited about the acquisition of Palm for mobile devices including smartphones...
    Funny, while you were writing that post, I was reading another thread in this forum. It was about HP's quarterly report and is a quote from Hurd:

"In April, HP announced that it would buy troubled smart phone maker Palm for $1.2 billion. But Mark Hurd was quick to cast the move as "not a smart phone play" -- what HP is really after is Palm's intellectual property, Hurd told analysts on Tuesday's call. Owning Palm will better position HP to take advantage of opportunities in the mobile technology market, he said."

Why would I think the acquisition was "not a smartphone play"?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Interesting, here's a quote from the link that I posted...

"According to HP’s executive vice president Todd Bradley, Palm’s OS provides an ideal platform to expand HP’s mobility strategy and create a “unique” HP experience spanning multiple mobile connected devices.”

“And, Palm possesses significant IP assets and has a highly skilled team. The smartphone market is large, profitable and rapidly growing, and companies that can provide an integrated device and experience command a higher share. Advances in mobility are offering significant opportunities, and HP intends to be a leader in this market,” he said."

Maybe they're playing it down so it doesn't seem like this is just about smartphones but mobile devices in general. It just doesn't sound like they're going to drop smartphones. It sounds to me like the smartphone market was a part of why they picked up palm, just not the whole reason...
    Who do we believe, the CEO, or some VP? As you say, the mobile space is about more than just phones. Obviously, they want WebOS in the mobile space, but we have a statement from the CEO saying outright that the smartphone angle is not what they were after.

No one knows what will actually happen, but it is more than reasonable to believe that HP has no interest in putting out a WebOS phone. I have already given solid reasons to believe that. I honestly believe that the dream of a WebOS iPhone killer is dead. Long live the WebOS printer!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Well, we don't know and won't know anything for sure until they come out and say something or surprise us and just release it... We can always hope though