1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Here is a little info on why HP wants webOS on printers. When I find more info I will post it as well. take care, jay

HP: WebOS headed to Internet-connected printers

HP: WebOS headed to Internet-connected printers | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

When Hewlett-Packard announced its intentions to acquire Palm for $1.2 billion a few weeks ago, the company had big things in mind for Palm's WebOS. On Tuesday during the conference call for HP's second-quarter 2010 earnings, CEO Mark Hurd revealed some additional detail on the company's plans for the mobile OS.

HP will acquire Palm "in order to enhance our intellectual property...in the connected-mobility space. We expect to leverage WebOS into a variety of form factors, including slates and Web-connected printers," Hurd said Tuesday.

"With a whole series of Web-connected printers, as they connect to the Web, they need an OS," he added.

As a touch-screen mobile operating system, it was easy to predict HP was targeting tablets with WebOS. HP's Todd Bradley later confirmed that, telling analysts that HP would "invest heavily" in WebOS, and use it on slate PCs, Netbooks, and phones. But printers? That's a new one.

Printers are a significant business for HP--in the most recent quarter the HP imaging and printing division made $6.4 billion in revenue, out of the total of over $30 billion. So it's not that crazy that they'd want to put its newest toy, WebOS, to work in that area.

But do printers need a mobile operating system? For HP, they do. The company has been pushing printers that are connected to the Web, like the PhotoSmart Premium TouchSmart Web printer. HP actually has an app store for these printers that allows users to download, for example, a Fandango or Snapfish app, and print movie tickets or photos directly from the printer over the Web.

Taking its current ambitions for its printer strategy, an operating system that could be synched with and access apps already on a smartphone and/or a tablet doesn't then seem that surprising.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    WebOS would also fit nicely on a product like the Eee PC Keyboard (at a lower price of course.)

Then we would have seamless printing from our phones and be able to brag to all of the other phone *******.
  4.    #4  
    It's a whole new webOS world, take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Obviously they arent going to use webos like it is on our pre. I think they just will have the style on their devices. It makes sense. My printer now is an hp all in one with a bunch of buttons and menus and a screen. They will take the webos interface and make all the buttons go away. It will just be touch menus and no longer full of confusion. The launcher will prob have a copy app, fax app, send to computer app and a photo app standard. Then your printer will download a facebook, fandango, US Postal service and whatever from their printer app store if your on a network and you want more printing solutions. And even better allow palm phones to sync wireless with webos printers and now your phone photos and emails can print right there. My printer can fax also. Why not let me take a picture of a document with my phone in my house, hit send fax on my phone, phone wirelessly sends it to printer, printer faxes it. I can see webos growing into something huge with HP behind it. If they do this right webos might be on all kinds of devices as a menu interface and more.
    they actually have a pretty good navigation system on the new "touchsmart web" printers now. It already looks like webos lol not much would change and i guess they dont worry about palm suing them cause they bought em...lol. I guess they can just call it a "touchsmart webos" printer and say its done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HPVideoC.../1/5qJDyOCsrpc
    Oh, according to that video... it's so MOMS can print!?

So they bought into the "Pre is for Moms" bit before they bought into the company? Argghh!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    yea they did do the mom thing lol.. This is definatley where printers are going in time though. They just need to be cheaper. It only makes sense for hp to have one universal interface for everything.