1.    #1  
    Hey All,
    Like many of you, since the announcement of the HP acquisition of Palm, I've been thinking about a webOS tablet... a lot. Tablets have been getting lots of buzz since the iPad, and, let's face it, are gonna be a big part of the future of computing. Well, obviously, if there's gonna be a webOS tablet, it's gotta be worthy of that kind of title. So here's my little mockup of what I think it would look like. It's design is based on the iPad (heavily), the Palm Pre and the Palm Pixi (obviously). Sorry, Folio fans, but wasn't here back then, and I don't have time for it I had to start almost completely from scratch... the only things I didn't make here are the App icons, wallpapers, some of the app screenshots, and the Palm logo. I designed it in PowerPoint (which is not a fast way to work) and it took me most of today, excluding lunch, dinner, and a shower. I call it the "Palm canvas" The reason I call it the canvas is because a) It conveys the image of thinness b) Like the iPad name, it conveys the idea that it can do almost anything and c) It was one of the names people were throwing out there when they were wondering what the iPad would be named. Now, i had to alter some of the GUI of webOS to fit a tablet usecase. Instead of cards, there's an Expose-like view of all running apps... cards are nice on a phone, but they make no sense on a 10-inch screen. Instead of just typing for universal search, there's a button for it in the quick-launch bar/dock. When there's no physical keyboard, you can't "just start typing." The app-launcher has 5 columns because, hey, why not take advantage of all that space? I've also altered the apps to fit the tablet, as upscaling isn't sufficient, let's face it. The iPad does a lot more than just upscale, which is why it's not just a big iPod Touch, despite what some of you may thing. And so the Palm Canvas isn't just a big Pre. So, without further ado, here's my mockup of a Palm webOS Tablet- the Palm Canvas.

Geeky (Read: boring) Specs:
    10-inch multitouch capacitive IPS (like iPad) screen
    1 GHz SnapDragon Processor
    1 GB RAM
    2 USB 2.0 Ports (Yes, they can be used for charging)
    Touchstone-compatible matte backcover
    Good front-facing camera (megapixels don't matter!)
    Gesture area on bottom (a la Pre Plus)
    Bluetooth (with support for bluetooth keyboards)
    Headphone jack
    Volume rocker
    Mute switch
    Sleep button (same style as Pixi, but on right)
    Same GPU as Pre?
    802.11 N Wi-Fi
    A great speaker (better than iPad, with good bass, but not too expensive)
    2 HUGE Batteries inside (like iPad, and in a tablet, it's not too important that they're swappable- it'd be nice, but I can live without it)
    Storage: 16 GB, 32 GB, or 64 GB
    Cellular data: My dream: dual-band AT&T 3G & T-Mobile 3G compatible GSM radio with regular (Mini) SIM (microSIM isn't popular enough yet...) AND CDMA Radio with support for Sprint and Verizon... but that'll never happen

So what do you guys think? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks for reading
    -Seb or Sam
    I love the app orgnization! Just imagine being able to flick apps in what ever direction goes outward to toss it.
    Like the idea and name. Hopefully palm is reading too.
    looks too much like the ipAD/sLATE doesnt look "Palm" enough. Good job though!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    looks too much like the ipAD/sLATE doesnt look "Palm" enough. Good job though!
    thanks. Yes, I agree, it does look very apple-like. I did do a lot of work to make it look like an actual palm prodcut, but the problem is that palm stll doesn't have a true hardware style. The pixi uses vol buttons,the pre has a rocker. The pre has a big speaker,tghe pixi has 2 speaker grills. Sure, these are lots of subtle diferences,but that's whst design is really all about. But yeah, I do gave to make it look less apple like. Thanks!
    +1 from me...I like the layout and glad to see people continuing with the Dream!

You know what's really interesting, 3 years ago, most of us were using Palm Treo and Windmo Phones with no clue of what a real Smartphone was like.

I love my Pre and Keep up the Great work on the Mockups!!! Sorli...
    I like it but no rear camera?? Also gimme mobile hotspot and I'm good. I kind of like how Webos card view is. Not 5 different ones all over the screen.
    Cool! Id buy one

Is it on eBay yet?

hehe
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Awesome.... but you know the fruit will sue if they use their exposť view... cards could work still; often I hold on my cards to further reduce them just to see more of them onscreen... on a pad it would show even more. Maybe option to enlarge/shrink individual ones, then ability to cut/paste between!

While dreaming, I'd like the thing to be some next-level stuff like the transparent touchscreen Marky Mark plays with in "Date Night". Whoosh, whoooosh
    I rather see a direct port of webos, but with one addition. Instead of one row of cards when in card view, have two parallel horizonal rows. Frankly, the above UI doesn't look like it would look elegant or flow. It's cluttered, but I like the attempt.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I rather see a direct port of webos, but with one addition. Instead of one row of cards when in card view, have two parallel horizonal rows. Frankly, the above UI doesn't look like it would look elegant or flow. It's cluttered, but I like the attempt.
    I also agree. Looks like android widgets... I would like to see the gesture area along all 4 edges, there is no up, no down.

HP - I have $500 I would spend on a webOS tablet...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Awesome.... but you know the fruit will sue if they use their exposť view... cards could work still; often I hold on my cards to further reduce them just to see more of them onscreen... on a pad it would show even more. Maybe option to enlarge/shrink individual ones, then ability to cut/paste between!

While dreaming, I'd like the thing to be some next-level stuff like the transparent touchscreen Marky Mark plays with in "Date Night". Whoosh, whoooosh
    True, but if Apple provoked Palm, Palm could easily countersue... after all, they've got a war-chest of patents that they could defend. Plus, Apple hasn't sued the developers of Compiz, which has an expose view... of course, that could be because it looks bad to go after open source devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I never even thought of that! That is an AWESOME idea. I think I'll work that into my mockup. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I also agree. Looks like android widgets... I would like to see the gesture area along all 4 edges, there is no up, no down.

HP - I have $500 I would spend on a webOS tablet...
    Yeah, I originally had 4 gesture areas (one on each side) in my mockup, but I quickly realized that that doesn't work. First of all, if you grab the edge to hold the tablet, or to pick it up, which you almost certainly will, you'll accidentally trigger something with the gesture area. Second, it makes the front facing camera impossible... you'd have to go with three gesture areas then. Third, it would be expensive. The iPad has one home button on one edge of the device... not 4. The reason for that is the placement of the gesture area doesn't matter as long as you can use it, and it's completely useable from all angles.