Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    people have always been stupid. Proof: racism. You have to be really dumb to think you are better than someone else just because of your skin colour. I have two more examples, but unfortunately a huge percentyle still believe in those, and I don't want to get anyone angry. Pm me 50 years from now.
  2. #22  
    Palm could filter entries that contain things like "doesn't start/download/install" from the overall rating - would certainly help
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Yeah, The other day I needed to take a customers PC into safe mode for troubleshooting, when I asked her what kinda modem she has (pppoe doesnt work in safemode) she put me on hold to check. When she came back she said she wasnt sure, but she went ahead and unplugged everything(mouse,keyboard,PC monitor and ethernet cable) because surly that should help right? It took me 2 tries to get into smwn in the first place because she had trouble tapping F8, now i have to spend 40mins explaining where everything goes just to troubleshoot the real issue. WORST CALL EVER!
    That very well could have been my mom It can be frustrating just how poor some peoples understanding of technology can be. As the only one in the family that knows how to turn the cable box on, I end up being the first line tech support, and sometimes, just telling them to press input until the tv comes up, and that it doesn't need to be on channel 4 anymore, can be a long arduous process.

    My sympathies go out to you lol.
  4. #24  
    technology needs to be in our education. There's some, but way to many students struggle with simple stuff like saving a word file in compatibility mode.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    That very well could have been my mom It can be frustrating just how poor some peoples understanding of technology can be. As the only one in the family that knows how to turn the cable box on, I end up being the first line tech support, and sometimes, just telling them to press input until the tv comes up, and that it doesn't need to be on channel 4 anymore, can be a long arduous process.

    My sympathies go out to you lol.
    omg dude i sooooo know what you are talking about. i often call my self my fam's IT/tech support guy lmao

    my dad is fascinated by my palm pre but to explain to him how everything works is another thing..... ive had my phone since NOV and up until yesterday he thought in order for me to use the internet i needed it "plugged into the computer wirelessly" yea i know.... and i don't even want to tell you the convo we had about streaming video...... lol he wants a pre
  6. hiono's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #26  
    i stopped being suprised by how dumb people can be a long time ago
  7. kalex's Avatar
    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #27  
    I can also say the same about some developers
    Few apps that i wanted to buy and install had 0 information on them. One web page with no screen shots, bunch of marketing fluff that said how great app is and that's it. no FAQ, no support nothing. With no trial software available I skipped buying these apps. so it goes both ways. again this is not addressed to all developers, just few.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    Hey don't take offrense at the title, but why don't webOS users understand that a "failed install" isn't the app developers fault, the devs have no control over the installation procedure.
    why dont webOS users understand that there is a "help" page in every app, and devs can be contacted via email for help.
    why don't webOS users understand that reading a FAQ's pagein an app will help them understand how to use the app.

    any answers?
    i think the majority of the human population is stupid. Unfortunately that characteristic spilled over into the WebOS community proportionately. I bet everyones ratings in the catalog took a beating this week when things weren't installing properly...
  9. #29  
    Maybe it's from all that marketing aimed at women....
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalmer View Post
    Well... Palm should have shut the App Catalog down during the outage. Would have avoided a ton of problems and kept the focus squarely on their outage and not our apps. On the plus side, Palm's DevRel folks are committed to removing any "update won't install" comments from our apps. But again, even that could have been avoided by shutting the catalog app itself down for the duration.
    I disagree, they should disabled reviews during the outage. I still want to browse apps. The other night I installed YPMobile and the install failed, and what did I see the next day when I rebooted my phone, "install successful". Even it fails at the time, when the problem fixes a simple reboot can fix the install with no problem.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by acme64 View Post
    i work tech support. i lost faith in humanity years ago.
    Ditto
  12. #32  
    I'm gonna play devil's advocate. If a smartphone app requires the FAQ file to be opened up in order to figure out how to use the app, the app is poorly designed.

    These are smartphones, not PCs. The app should be easy to use and adhere to webOS convention, so that the user doesn't need to "RTFM."
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Google. This is the internet age, there's no such thing as a regular person anymore, only idiots who should shoot themselves and do the gene pool a favor. You can write a crap review and get no solution or you can take five minutes to look it up your damned self and stop being lazy as ****.
    +1
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Google. This is the internet age, there's no such thing as a regular person anymore, only idiots who should shoot themselves and do the gene pool a favor. You can write a crap review and get no solution or you can take five minutes to look it up your damned self and stop being lazy as ****.
    +1
  15. #35  
    Again, why should it be the user's job to "figure out" the app?

    Well-written apps don't have learning curves that require extensive research and troubleshooting. They "just work."

    Apps that "just work" are going to get better reviews than difficult-to-use apps that require five or ten minutes of online research, Googling, etc. A smartphone app that doesn't work intuitively and that requires a manual or extensive research online is NOT a good app. Sorry.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Again, why should it be the user's job to "figure out" the app?

    Well-written apps don't have learning curves that require extensive research and troubleshooting. They "just work."

    Apps that "just work" are going to get better reviews than difficult-to-use apps that require five or ten minutes of online research, Googling, etc. A smartphone app that doesn't work intuitively and that requires a manual or extensive research online is NOT a good app. Sorry.
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the OP's post or the main topic of this thread but it has nothing to do with apps with a learning curve.

    We're talking about when ALL apps in the catalog were not installing a few days ago and people were blaming the developers for failed installs. Logically, if every app is not installing then one can conclude with very little thought, that there is a problem with the entire catalog.

    Therefore, down rating individual apps, particularly new apps, is just idiotic. There are help and support links on the first page to contact the developer about any issues or concerns you may have.
    I am, therefore I think
  17. #37  
    That's not the user's problem. The user knows that things "didn't work," and that's all he cares about. It's an extension of your brand when you use someone else's platform, and blaming the customer for his perceptions is always the wrong approach. A better approach would be to figure out how to mitigate the concern in the future and not push the work onto the end user.

    Harsh? Possibly. Tough? Yeah. Unfair? A bit. But the user is ALWAYS right.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Yeah, The other day I needed to take a customers PC into safe mode for troubleshooting, when I asked her what kinda modem she has (pppoe doesnt work in safemode) she put me on hold to check. When she came back she said she wasnt sure, but she went ahead and unplugged everything(mouse,keyboard,PC monitor and ethernet cable) because surly that should help right? It took me 2 tries to get into smwn in the first place because she had trouble tapping F8, now i have to spend 40mins explaining where everything goes just to troubleshoot the real issue. WORST CALL EVER!
    The user is always right? Where did you learn that policy, retail? I work in retail, I know all about the customer being always right.

    This does not translate to the problem at hand. That would like if Best Buy's check out computers froze and people posted bad reviews for iPods because they had to wait a long time for their receipt.

    You're acting as if it's the developer's problem. And I don't see any developer's blaming customers. Other user's are telling off the people who are either too entitled or too slow to realize the failed installed does not reflect on the function of the app itself. Sure some developers voiced their feelings about this issue but it was a regular user who started this thread, not some developer looking for sympathy.
    I am, therefore I think
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    That's not the user's problem. The user knows that things "didn't work," and that's all he cares about. It's an extension of your brand when you use someone else's platform, and blaming the customer for his perceptions is always the wrong approach. A better approach would be to figure out how to mitigate the concern in the future and not push the work onto the end user.

    Harsh? Possibly. Tough? Yeah. Unfair? A bit. But the user is ALWAYS right.
    No, a simpleton knows things don't work and that's all they care about. Fortunately, not everyone is a simpleton. Fortunately, some people aren't afraid to click on that Developer Home button and read about the features an app has and look at the change log. And fortunately, some people who don't realize are smart enough to ask someone who probably does, as any family-appointed tech person can attest to, before they throw their phone away/take their computer back/not use their vcr/etc.

    Downloads failed are a common enough problem that people should have figured out it's not really the developers fault and not take it out on their reviews. On the bright side, most everyone else realizes this and so most apps don't take a huge hit in the ratings because they are enough people using and reviewing who are not stupid. The thread was really more eye-rolling at AlL th3 pp1 tht wrte lik this and complain in their reviews about download fails. Or that they hate the Pre and are getting an Android. Or were too lazy to check the preferences where it has right there a switch that does what they want it to do. I've met children who whine less.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions