Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys i've been doing some research but couldn't find any info, does any know how WebOS came to be? I know Mike Abbott was head of development, but i also read that he joined when WebOS was pretty much done. Anyone have any information on this?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I don't know much about it as well. I do know that this used to be called Nova. I hope this will help in your research.
    There was a palmcast awhile back that said it wasn't Nova like they thought. From what I understand Palm was working on Nova and a couple engineers went on their own time and created webOS and presented it to their managers. They discussed it around the same time as the Developer Conference.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
  4.    #4  
    yea i dont know
    Interesting question. We need one of the Palm insiders to chime in.
    I invented it, and Palm stole it.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I invented it, and Palm stole it.
    actually I stole it, and sold it to palm.i scewed up the paper work and got a dollar instead of a million. Send me your paypal account and ill send you your share (50 cents).
    webOS and Windows 7 were both my idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    webOS and Windows 7 were both my idea.
    W7 is the idea of MS marketing department after the realized that Vista was a flop and sales tanked.

It would have been Vista Service Pack 3 otherwise. But a bit of cleanup and some UI changes made it sellable as a totally new OS version. And users were so frustrated with Vista.0 that any new version that sucked less was greeted as the best windows ever.

</thread-derailing>
    I like this...
    "I'm a Palm, and WebOS was my idea!"

=-=

Dr.Grace said "webOS and Windows 7 were both my idea. "

Well, Doc, at least you got one of them right!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I wanted to know this too.. Credit to whoever cause that's what is lust after, not palms cloud service or harsware.
    I'm sure if we make enough of a scene about it we'll find out. Start the @mentions to Palm on twitter!
    I'm sure Apple will "invent" WebOS in a year or two.

But seriously, I thought Al Gore invented the Web(OS)...
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    do some research on "Foleo"

i know, when a friend of mine worked at Palm in 2007/2008 - they were researching Linux and doing some initial brain farting around it. he was working out of the Dublin office at the time, but i dont think they were focusing on the basics here, they were doing Treo specific work. maybe unwiredben could give more insight he was there for the Foleo back in the day, but left and returned later.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
  15.    #15  
    any of you guys think you can design a better webos?
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    any of you guys think you can design a better webos?
    No, I can't. They did a really good job on it - a really, really good job. I still say the OS itself is the best mobile OS in the world, even slightly edging out iOS.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    No, I can't. They did a really good job on it - a really, really good job. I still say the OS itself is the best mobile OS in the world, even slightly edging out iOS.
    quite honestly ios blows chunks to me, the multitasking alone demolishes ios. I have the ipad and it ****es me off, and their new implementation of multitasking in OS4 is still gay. It's pretty much a history bar for your apps lol
    imho, you cannot point webOS origin to a SINGLE Person. THats why all this talk about "the man behind... so and so" is just not right as it takes credit away from other people who helped with it as well. I think it was still a collaborative effort of the entire Palm team.
    I was going to chime in that berdinkerdickle invented it, but he beat me to the punch!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I know that Matias Duarte is credited with designing the UI, but does that mean he conceived webOS? If you look up his name, everyone calls him the "webOS Creator"... and is now with Android <sniff>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast