Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does any body know what happened to webOSbuzz.com? It seems like they're down for some reason?
    webosbuzz was one of those all-out warez sites. They had a handful of warez and a whole bunch of ads. The idea of those kinds of websites is to generate ad revenue before getting the inevitable website shutdown. It's no surprise they've been pulled.

And in all honesty, good riddance. The webOS needs as much developer support as is they can get and sites like webosbuzz hurt the fragile-but-growing app ecosystem Palm webOS has been building.

And for the record, PreCentral is not the place for warez. You will not find any help finding them here.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    They might be down because it was illegal to pirate software which it fully supported.

it had ads on it? wow lucky me i used Ad block plus lol
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Wasn't it Bill Gates that said "if they're going to steal software, let them steal OUR software." or something to that effect?? hahahaha

All kidding aside, good riddance to that site. Stealing is stealing, and always wrong.
  5.    #5  
    I didn't take advantage of this website as you might think. I did however download "TweetMe for Palm" to try for a day before I decided if it was worth buying (and yes I did buy it, this app is amazing). I don't support pirated software on webOS because, as Jason said, webOS needs as much help as possible.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    They might be down because it was illegal to pirate software which it fully supported
    They actually didn't host the apps though. They uploaded 'em to RapidShare.
    if you're gonna steal, then you should steal something like photoshop or office... that's a suite from a developer/company that already makes millions upon millions of dollars, and sells overprices software. Most webOS devs though are indie devs who just wanna make a living with software and have perfectly reasonable prices. I mean, seriously, most paid webOS apps are a few bucks at most. if you had the money to buy a pre or pixi plus contract, you have enough for a few apps, and if you still steal the apps, then you're simply a cheap a*****e.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    They might be down because it was illegal to pirate software which it fully supported.

it had ads on it? wow lucky me i used Ad block plus lol
    You realize that ad-blocking is just as bad as pirating, right? Perhaps even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
    You realize that ad-blocking is just as bad as pirating, right? Perhaps even worse.
    Lol what? Yeah because all of us like having d***s and b**bs pop up out of nowhere. Reminds me one time when my dad got a laptop and he was using google trying to showing me something and a bunch of homosexual **** popped up. Because everyone wants that right.
    I strongly disagree. While most ads are useful, some are hideous, obnoxious, and take a hit to bandwidth to the user. I understand the need for ad revenue, but if you allow ads like that, then don't ask sympathy from me. I'm usually glad to unblock websites from my ad-blocker that are legit though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    Lol what? Yeah because all of us like having d***s and b**bs pop up out of nowhere. Reminds me one time when my dad got a laptop and he was using google trying to showing me something and a bunch of homosexual **** popped up. Because everyone wants that right.
    The real question is why your dad had the 'Safe Search' turned off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I strongly disagree. While most ads are useful, some are hideous, obnoxious, and take a hit to bandwidth to the user. I understand the need for ad revenue, but if you allow ads like that, then don't ask sympathy from me. I'm usually glad to unblock websites from my ad-blocker that are legit though.
    Are we starting this conversation again?! lol just kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The real question is why your dad had the 'Safe Search' turned off...
    Ahah.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    Oh...the...things..that I want to say right now, be lucky your young and have alot of life to look forward too.. If he was looking for anything on google and got ads from them, Google would be in violation of their own ad guidelines unless they have changed since I last advertised one of my sites through them. they do not allow that questionable material whatsoever.

honestly I was pretty upset at the time though since one of my best money makers at the time was against their guidelines(hell even most religions) so I ended up having to pay google for the tech site, blog sites, and adbrite for my 'primary' site but shortly after realized how insane Googles' ad pricing was and ditched and ditched them completely.

Ad-supported sites have just as much right to display ANY type of ad they wish in the same respect that users can choose to run ad-block or any of the other FF decent plugins. what does suck though is i'm fairly confident that alot of the advertising companies are doing everything to keep their ads viewable by purposely leaving blocks or frames open so you cant block the ad completely, or if you block the ad it might serve from one of their sub-domains meaning your wondering were the pretty bunny rabbit picture is that everyone sees, its only been happening to me in the last say 2-3 months.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Blocking ads steals revenue from the sites that the ads appear on, just like pirating steals revenue from the creators of the programs you're pirating.
    I understand that there are annoying ads out there, but I would suggest to keep in mind that many people depend on ad views to make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan
    Yeah, because absolute generalizations TOTALLY contribute to a conversation, right? Because everyone loves that, right.
    You realize that assuming that every ad on the internet leads to pr0nz is an unfair generalization and in the long run, harms many of the sites you enjoy?
    Outright blocking of all ads is unfair to the sites you regularly visit.
    Blocking ads steals revenue from the sites that the ads appear on, just like pirating steals revenue from the creators of the programs you're pirating.
    I understand that there are annoying ads out there, but I would suggest to keep in mind that many people depend on ad views to make a living.

Yeah, because absolute generalizations TOTALLY contribute to a conversation, right? Because everyone loves that, right.
    You realize that assuming that every ad on the internet leads to pr0nz is an unfair generalization and in the long run, harms many of the sites you enjoy?
    Outright blocking of all ads is unfair to the sites you regularly visit.
    I did not want to bump this until I read the last line. Only difference in what you said in the beginning of the post and what you said towards the end is that Piracy is in fact illegal in most places but can you please show me 1 single law that states that blocking ads is comparable to 'stealing' what-so-ever? is it unfair? maybe but IMO that depends on the individual who is viewing the ads, not law and also just how bad some domains like to push out ads.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    I did not want to bump this until I read the last line. Only difference in what you said in the beginning of the post and what you said towards the end is that Piracy is in fact illegal in most places but can you please show me 1 single law that states that blocking ads is comparable to 'stealing' what-so-ever? is it unfair? maybe but IMO that depends on the individual who is viewing the ads, not law and also just how bad some domains like to push out ads.
    I was not talking about piracy and ad-blocking in a legal sense; to take it that way is to take it too literally.

My point was: Piracy steals revenue. Ad-blocking steals revenue. They are both (morally and conceptually) 'stealing,' and the legality of both is irrelevant in the current discussion of the two, and no where did I mention at all the legality of piracy or ad-blocking (both of which can be debated).

Are you saying that everything the law states is right and fair?

Sorry, but that isn't necessarily the case.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    On a side note - what happened to PreThinking.com? It hasn't been updated in forever.
    I was not talking about piracy and ad-blocking in a legal sense; to take it that way is to take it too literally.

My point was: Piracy steals revenue. Ad-blocking steals revenue. They are both (morally and conceptually) 'stealing,' and the legality of both is irrelevant in the current discussion of the two, and no where did I mention at all the legality of piracy or ad-blocking (both of which can be debated).

Are you saying that everything the law states is right and fair?

Sorry, but that isn't necessarily the case.
    thats the point, you seem to be ignoring the fact that there is a difference between the two, pirating is illegal, whereas ad-blocking isn't and for good reason, I can't see how ignoring ads in a newspaper is "morally or conceptually" stealing, ads are there to try to get me to buy so,ething, use a serviceor whatnot... if i choose not to be hit by them its my choice, same as me choosing not to read every ads in a newspaper, (I still don't get how there is lost revenue since the person blocking the ads is certinley not going to click on them, and thats where the moneys made.)
    Honestly, there's a huge difference between ignoring an ad (as in your newspaper example) and completely blocking the ad. It is not morally wrong to ignore the ads, not at all. However, if you ran a news stand, it would be very wrong to remove all of the ads from the newspapers/magazines before selling them to your customers. Ads help cover the costs for the magazines, whether you ignore them or not. It's the same for websites, except that when you block the ad, the website no longer gets that revenue - if you choose to ignore the ad, that's your prerogative, but blocking them is stealing, just on a small scale.

I concede that you should not have to be assaulted by a page that's 3/4 ads or has offensive/vulgar ads. However, there are a lot of honest, decent web developers that try to integrate their ads so they're unobtrusive, related and clean that are hurt by ad blocking.

Plus, you'd be surprised at how many people that would normally block ads will find something that is of genuine interest to them on well design websites.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast