Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    not much difference at all, since I don't own a news stand, I'm not blocking the ads from things I sell, I'm blocking me, and only me from seeing them, it's more like my wife removing the ads from my own newspaper before I read it, since she knows I hate ads
    Can we stop talking about ads now and get back to being happy this site was shut down (at least for a while)?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    Honestly, there's a huge difference between ignoring an ad (as in your newspaper example) and completely blocking the ad. It is not morally wrong to ignore the ads, not at all. However, if you ran a news stand, it would be very wrong to remove all of the ads from the newspapers/magazines before selling them to your customers. Ads help cover the costs for the magazines, whether you ignore them or not. It's the same for websites, except that when you block the ad, the website no longer gets that revenue - if you choose to ignore the ad, that's your prerogative, but blocking them is stealing, just on a small scale.

I concede that you should not have to be assaulted by a page that's 3/4 ads or has offensive/vulgar ads. However, there are a lot of honest, decent web developers that try to integrate their ads so they're unobtrusive, related and clean that are hurt by ad blocking.

Plus, you'd be surprised at how many people that would normally block ads will find something that is of genuine interest to them on well design websites.
    I was going to say something of this nature in response to abegee. Thanks! People need to understand that unlike newspapers, which get paid a flat rate to put the ads in their newspapers, websites get paid on a per-view basis.

Quote Originally Posted by abegee
    not much difference at all, since I don't own a news stand, I'm not blocking the ads from things I sell, I'm blocking me, and only me from seeing them, it's more like my wife removing the ads from my own newspaper before I read it, since she knows I hate ads
    You don't seem to understand the difference of web advertising from say, newspaper or television advertising.

Newspapers/magazines/tv stations get paid a FLAT rate (doesn't change; the money for the ads is paid regardless of how many people actually buy the paper or magazine or see the ad), while websites get paid on how many people actually see it. By blocking the ad, you are stealing money away from the people who maintain the web site.

I am not saying that you shouldn't block full page ads or annoying, noisy ads that you don't care for; website ads shouldn't be like that anyways and it is the maintainers fault for approving an ad like that in the first place. But indiscriminately blocking ads is stealing.
    Last edited by ChickenMan; 05/18/2010 at 10:41 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12