1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how I can put movies on my pre. I've been traying for the past 2 days and I just don't get it. I even looked it up on YouTube. I just don't get it!

Can someone help me, Please?
    I have never done it before but I think it has to be mp4 format. If it is then all you have to do is make a folder in the usb partition of the device, put the vid in there then the vid app on the phone will find it for you. Hope this is right.
    use a freeware program like handbrake to convert the video (choose the iPhone option in handbrake because the iphone and pre support the same format and screens resolution).

Once it's converted, you can just attach your phone to the PC and copy it to the usb storage portion of the phone. I created a folder called "myvideos" to differentiate them from other videos created or downloaded directly to the phone...
  4.    #4  
    What if I downloaded the movie. How would I do it when I have the movie already on my PC?
    Last edited by ChrisTML; 05/12/2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTML View Post
    Do I get "HandBrake" from Preware?
    No, it's an open source app. Google "download handbrake" and see if you get a link to doom9.org or another place to download it. You might find it on download.com too.

There are other apps like it, but I found it to be the simplest, and I think it's available for Mac and PC. Since I had a mac friend helping me with a video project years ago, I just used what he recommended.

Post back on how things go. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to do it really fast. I don't do it much any more because I just watch them on my Netbook instead of that tiny phone screen.

By the way, this all assumes that you have video available to run through handbrake. If you are planning to use DVD movies, you have to first rip the DVD. I know handbrake can pull video from unprotected DVDs (like home movies, etc) but I'm not sure if it can rip DVDs you buy from the store. You might have to check in to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTML View Post
    What if I downloaded the movie. How would I do it when I have the movie already on my PC?
    If you already have it on your PC (and it isn't protected content like an iTunes movie...) you just open up handbrake and point it to the video file.

The reason you are transcoding it to iPhone format is to make it the same frame size as your phone (it doesn't make sense to ask your phone to compress a 1920x1080 video down to the resolution of your phone. it would kill the CPU and be impossible to watch. It would also be a HUGE file and take forever to copy, lots of disk space, etc).

So you are reducing resolution to the native Pre/iPhone resolution, and and converting it to a format they can play...

Sound reasonable?
    I use Videora for Palm Pre to convert video and DVDDecryptor to rip from DVD to a file on my PC. THough, not all DVD's have been compatible. Only about 70-80%.
    I just did this for the first time today and it worked great. I used Handbrake as well. Put a DVD in my computer, opened Handbrake, changed the settings to iPhone and clicked start. It takes awhile to convert, but when it's done, you have the movie in mp4 format on you computer. You can then just put your phone in USB mode and drop it into a folder there. (Or, I use double twist to sync my media to make it "cleaner")

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    I just did this for the first time today and it worked great. I used Handbrake as well. Put a DVD in my computer, opened Handbrake, changed the settings to iPhone and clicked start. It takes awhile to convert, but when it's done, you have the movie in mp4 format on you computer. You can then just put your phone in USB mode and drop it into a folder there. (Or, I use double twist to sync my media to make it "cleaner")

Hope that helps.
    Does handbrake let you rip protected DVDs? I haven't done it in awhile (too busy) but I always used DVDecrypter. I never tried it with handbrake, so I don't know if it would work or not. I mostly carry a netbook now that doesn't have an optical drive, so it's not something I can just "try" without pulling out an external DVD drive, etc etc so it hasn't been on my bucket list lately.

If handbrake can do it, that would make it a one-stop solution for the OP... clean and simple.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Does handbrake let you rip protected DVDs? I haven't done it in awhile (too busy) but I always used DVDecrypter. I never tried it with handbrake, so I don't know if it would work or not. I mostly carry a netbook now that doesn't have an optical drive, so it's not something I can just "try" without pulling out an external DVD drive, etc etc so it hasn't been on my bucket list lately.

If handbrake can do it, that would make it a one-stop solution for the OP... clean and simple.
    To be honest, I don't know how to tell the difference. I would assume most commerically available DVD's are protected and I just converted my DVD of the movie "Taken" with Handbrake and can watch in on my Pre.
    DVD43 works great too, for decrypting

I use Fair Use Wizard( free) to convert DVD's and I use a great program WMA Convert(not free, but worth the 29.95) to convert downloaded movies or videos from my digital camera right to mp4 for my pre.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Handbrake works great for unprotected movies (just choose the iPhone setting when converting).

If you are trying to view protected movies, you will need convert the movie with DVDShrink (Free) to strip the copy protection first, and then use Handbrake (Free). (DVDFab works great too, but isn't free).

Note: there are different copy protections used and some simply cannot be bypassed yet. The movie "Up" has newer protection and cannot be copied as of yet, while other movies are easy, and yet others (like "Get Smart") need to run through 3 separate programs to strip, recompile the vob files, and then convert.

If you run into a movie that you have problems with... Google will be your best friend
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/12/2010 at 02:54 PM.