Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    I decided to use VZnavigator on my Pre while driving home. Even though I know the way, I like to glance at the screen because it tells me how long before I reach my destination.

    So, I plugged in the phone with the official Palm car charger, fired up VZNavigator and started on my way. I left the screen on and placed it beside me on the passenger seat.

    About 15 min into the trip I pick it up and I notice it's getting really warm, so I hit the power button to turn off the screen. About 10 minutes later I pick it up again to feel if it's cooled down... its really, REALLY HOT. This is without even turning on the screen.

    I've never felt a cell phone get that hot before. It was actually too hot to keep you fingers on for more than a few seconds without feeling a little pain. The heat seemed to be centered on the back of the Pre, about 3/4ths inch from the bottom.

    Is this normal? What should I do, or try?

    (note: was running with WiFi off, Google services off, fetch mail off, and no other apps running in the background)
  2. #2  
    no 800mhz patch or othets installed? Was the sun hitting the phone? Leather seats?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    no 800mhz patch or othets installed? Was the sun hitting the phone? Leather seats?
    No, it was at night and very cool. No kernel patch or anything like that.

    So, this isn't normal? If it's suppose to run hot then that's ok, but if not then I hope to find a solution.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 05/12/2010 at 09:39 AM.
  4. #4  
    It is somewhat normal, GPS Nav with the constant data connection does cause the pre to get very hot.

    It's not really advisable for it to run this hot, maybe give it a break every little bit?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmason View Post
    It is somewhat normal, GPS Nav with the constant data connection does cause the pre to get very hot.

    It's not really advisable for it to run this hot, maybe give it a break every little bit?
    Thanks

    I've built computers for years... it's kind of amazing the cell phone industry hasn't come up with an effective (standardized) way to pull heat from cell phones. Plastic doesn't conduct energy very well at all (part of what makes plastic so awesome, I know!).

    I guess metal is a lot more expensive to manufacture, and interferes with radio signals, but I'm sure they could find a way to put a couple heat-pipes in there, with access to a small external vent heat sink (that could also act as an antenna?)

    I'm not even sure if overheating is an epidemic, what with energy efficient components now. But with the Pre overclocks it seems like such an invention would make a splash.

    I'm very apprehensive about overclocking now that I know the non-overclocked Pre can have heat problems.
  6. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #6  
    Mine always gets hot when running navigation while charging. I try to place it in front of the vents for additional cooling.

    On warm sunny days I have received a high battery temperature warning.
    Dan
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Mine always gets hot when running navigation while charging. I try to place it in front of the vents for additional cooling.

    On warm sunny days I have received a high battery temperature warning.
    yep...i have a vent mount and that really keeps the heat down... when i first got my touchstone i tried it inthe car with a palm car charger and man, talk about HOT....touchstone is used in the house only and usually at night with everything off...that mug gets HOT.

    i'm running uberk/gov screenstate 500-800. it gets hot when charging/nav/streaming either way....
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    yep...i have a vent mount and that really keeps the heat down... when i first got my touchstone i tried it inthe car with a palm car charger and man, talk about HOT....touchstone is used in the house only and usually at night with everything off...that mug gets HOT.

    i'm running uberk/gov screenstate 500-800. it gets hot when charging/nav/streaming either way....

    Would the cooling from the air conditioner cause condensation internally on the device? I would totally mount my touchstone near the car vent if it doesn't, but last thing I need is internal moisture buildup on the components.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    yep...i have a vent mount and that really keeps the heat down... when i first got my touchstone i tried it inthe car with a palm car charger and man, talk about HOT....touchstone is used in the house only and usually at night with everything off...that mug gets HOT.

    i'm running uberk/gov screenstate 500-800. it gets hot when charging/nav/streaming either way....
    I just moved my Touchstone from the dash to a vent mount because of heat. I am going to post pics in the Touchstone car install thread later today.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo

Posting Permissions