1.    #1  
    This is something I just started thinking about since I always have Dev Mode on. I just started running my phone without Dev Mode to see if it solves the issue with the phone/java restarts. Is Dev Mode required to install anything (patches/themes/apps) via Preware?
    No, once Preware is installed, you can and should disable Dev Mode. Dev Mode just leaves a major security hole open and should only be enabled when you need it to be. WebOS Quickinstall requires it or any other applications that connects to your Pre or Pixi, from a computer, to install unofficial homebrew. Since Preware is installed on the device already, Dev Mode is no longer needed.
  3.    #3  
    Awesome, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Master2501 View Post
    No, once Preware is installed, you can and should disable Dev Mode. Dev Mode just leaves a major security hole open and should only be enabled when you need it to be. WebOS Quickinstall requires it or any other applications that connects to your Pre or Pixi, from a computer, to install unofficial homebrew. Since Preware is installed on the device already, Dev Mode is no longer needed.
    For the record, it's not as big as a security hole as some believe; DevMode simply allows novacom to communicate with your device via USB. If you aren't connected via USB to a computer with Novacom installed, there is no danger.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Please keep us updated on your experience. My Pre seems to suffer from less restarts when Dev mode is enabled.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Don't want to start a new thread so I'll piggyback onto this one. There are some patches that I want to install however wosqi isn't playing nice with my Pixi+. I had to bootstrap Preware to get it working.

So my question is, can I install patches that are not in Preware, i.e. saved on my desktop from a PC forum thread, through something other than wosqi?
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Don't want to start a new thread so I'll piggyback onto this one. There are some patches that I want to install however wosqi isn't playing nice with my Pixi+. I had to bootstrap Preware to get it working.
    Not really... I would try to solve your problem with WOSQI.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Yeah, I managed to get WOSQI working in the end, spent the night before in irc with the webos internals guys baffled as to why it wouldn't work!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fryedchikin View Post
    Please keep us updated on your experience. My Pre seems to suffer from less restarts when Dev mode is enabled.
    I have only had 1 Luna restart since I posted this thread. There are 2 things that I believe contributed to this:

1. Turning off Dev Mode. Since I almost never use Quick Install for anything, it makes no sense for me to leave this on all the time. Since I've done this, I've not had a random restart.

2. Restarting Luna/phone after installing anything via Preware. I know that this should be common practice, but I'd forgotten about this workflow. The only Luna restart I've experienced in the past week was due to updating a couple patches/apps in Preware and not restarting.