Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've always thought Palm used patches as a nice alpha/beta sandbox for the public. They let the public play in the sandbox. They can be creative and even build things to play with. All while Palm is watching to determine what their users desire. Once Palm sees something they think would be widely accepted on a large scale they incorporate it into an official release. A good example of this is LED blink notifications. This is a nice arrangement since it saves Palm time, development costs, and insures new functionality has already been accepted by a large group in the community. It's a win/win for everyone.

Making patches "official" would just create issues Palm doesn't need and probably doesn't want. If we didn't have such a great community working on patches and other endeavors Palm might consider stepping in. I for one like the current arrangement.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    A good example of this is LED blink notifications. This is a nice arrangement since it saves Palm time, development costs, and insures new functionality has already been accepted by a large group in the community.
    The thing is that Palm implemented that themselves, but commented it out for whatever reason. I would doubt that they commented it out just for us to experiment with.

All you said is backed by the open environment that WebOS is based on.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    On one of the screen captures at the recent "Palm Developer Day," the Palm dude showing off the upcoming new App Catalog changes appeared to be running Jason Robitaille's AM/PM patch!

It looks EXACTLY as it does on my phone and putting the a or p after the time is not currently an option in any stock webOS.

So it looks like they are indeed paying attention!

Kewl!

See that full Precentral article, with pict inline, here:
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall
    This would be an awesome idea! Developers could get more recognition and a chance to earn some money. Palm could look at the highest downloaded apps and include them in future updates and pay the devs something for this. It would be a nice way to give choice to the users!

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12