Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I've heard about this. I don't know enough to comment, but I'm all for more WebOS support on third-party products. You would never catch me using this though.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    This is actually a very cool idea and I can only hope they port it to WebOS.
    It's already out for iFail and Android.

Not sure about you guys but I'm getting tired of preferential treatment being given to Google and Apple.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    treacl likes this.
  3.    #4  
    i just got a note from Square that they have no timeframe for a webOS version.

the hardware portion of this service simply plugs into the headphone jack, so there wouldn't be any need for separate hardware from what's being used for other mobile OSes. this is purely software... and from the demo's that have been floating around it doesn't look like it's anything super-difficult to port to webOS.

so, if you and anyone else would like to see services like Square and others, who are taking the wait-and-see (aka shun, imo) approach with webOS... now is the time to reach out and leave a note/request.

while there is something to be said about developers not wanting to risk it and develop for a mobile OS that doesn't have a large user-base, these kinds of cutting-edge, hero software is what's also needed to get webOS ahead. we all know that webOS deserves far better than the lukewarm reception it's been getting.
    treacl likes this.
    Just bumping this thread since my current credit card provider (ProPay) just increased their rates. My friends are all switching to Square, but I can't since there isn't an app for webOS. I just sent them a message, so if you're interested, please send them one as well!

www.squareup.com

Karla
    treacl likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    square is still expensive, i have b of a on my pre and only pay 1.5 mr visa and mc and about 3 for amex
    Thanks! I just sent them a note.
    I think you'd have a better chance bugging HP to do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I think you'd have a better chance bugging HP to do something.
    Agreed. Square isn't going to put resource behind building an app for an os with such low penetration. HP needs to get this done for them. Super slick app and way to collect in-person payments.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Agreed. Square isn't going to put resource behind building an app for an os with such low penetration. HP needs to get this done for them. Super slick app and way to collect in-person payments.
    Hi, I agree, HP has stated that if needed the would pay to have apps written, so they better get going! take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    There's another company (Intuit GoPayment) that has a simple app for WebOS. It's cheaper than Square, so I signed up for it. They also have a card reader, but it won't work with the Pre. I'm guessing since it's a portrait slider. Still though, you can enter the number to process the card, so I plan to try it out soon!

Karla
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    square is still expensive, i have b of a on my pre and only pay 1.5 mr visa and mc and about 3 for amex
    Could you share some more information, please? Is there a per-transaction fee?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    There's another company (Intuit GoPayment) that has a simple app for WebOS. It's cheaper than Square, so I signed up for it. They also have a card reader, but it won't work with the Pre. I'm guessing since it's a portrait slider. Still though, you can enter the number to process the card, so I plan to try it out soon!
    GoPayment charges 2.7%/3.7% (with reader/manual entry) if you do less than $1000/month. If you process more than $1000/month, you pay $12.95 and they lower the rates to 1.7%/2.7% (with reader/manual entry). Correct me if I'm wrong, but at that rate you'd need to have $25,900 in transactions to match Square's rate on a webOS device (since manual entry is required):

0.0275x = $12.95/mo + 0.027x
    0.0005x = $12.95/mo
    break even at x = $25900/mo

I realize it's a moot point since Square isn't even available on webOS, but thought I would point out that the GoPayment rate on webOS is higher than Square (on a Square-compatible device).

That said, both choices will still be cheaper for processing small transactions through a traditional merchant card processing company that charges a per-transaction fee plus a percentage. Your processing fee might work out to around 5% with the traditional processor.

Personally, I'll probably end up getting an iPod Touch just to run GoPayment or Square with the card reader. In that case, GoPayment works out to be cheaper than Square as long as you process less than $1000/mo. (on the free plan) or more than $1024/mo. on the paid plan, and all of the payments are qualified. Note that corporate cards and, in my experience, any card that has any type of rewards program is processed as a non-qual transaction. If Square doesn't differentiate between qualified and non-qualified transactions, then it will probably be the cheapest option.

I'm not sure what your use-case is, but one possible problem of implementing this in a retail establishment is employee dishonesty--they could log in with their own credentials and route the credit card payments to their own account.
    Last edited by intelligen; 05/25/2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligen View Post
    yes, every CC transaction has a fee... how do u think visa or Mc or amex make their money?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    yes, every CC transaction has a fee... how do u think visa or Mc or amex make their money?
    Consider yourself lucky if you're not familiar with traditional merchant card processing. A traditional merchant card processor charges a percentage PLUS a transaction fee--in your case, let's say 1.5% + $0.20/transaction.

I'm inquiring about the $0.20. Square does not charge the per-transaction fee, so it turns out to be a lot cheaper if you deal mostly in small transactions.

In the previous example, if I'm selling a bunch of knick-nacks for $2 each, the cost of selling a single unit is going to be 0.015 * $2 + $0.20 = $0.23, which works out to be 11.5%.

The same transaction through Square would cost 0.0275 * $2 = $0.055 ~ $0.06, which turns out to be (surprise!) 2.75% (or, unfortunately in this case, 3% by the time I round to the nearest penny).
    Last edited by intelligen; 05/25/2011 at 12:07 PM.
    You are correct about the pricing. I do much less than $1,000/month, so GoPayment works for me. I really want to use a card reader, and I'm hoping they'll modify the webOS app to work with it in the future. If not, I'll probably get an iPad2 to process my business transactions.

I may even switch to Square since they also handle inventory along with some other nice features. Who knows!

Karla

GoPayment charges 2.7%/3.7% (with reader/manual entry) if you do less than $1000/month. If you process more than $1000/month, you pay $12.95 and they lower the rates to 1.7%/2.7% (with reader/manual entry). Correct me if I'm wrong, but at that rate you'd need to have $25,900 in transactions to match Square's rate on a webOS device (since manual entry is required):

0.0005x = $12.95/mo

I realize it's a moot point since Square isn't even available on webOS, but thought I would point out that the GoPayment rate on webOS is higher than Square (on a Square-compatible device).

That said, both choices will still be cheaper for processing small transactions through a traditional merchant card processing company that charges a per-transaction fee plus a percentage. Your processing fee might work out to around 5% with the traditional processor.

Personally, I'll probably end up getting an iPod Touch just to run GoPayment or Square with the card reader. In that case, GoPayment works out to be cheaper than Square as long as you process less than $1000/mo. (on the free plan) or more than $1024/mo. on the paid plan, and all of the payments are qualified. Note that corporate cards and, in my experience, any card that has any type of rewards program is processed as a non-qual transaction. If Square doesn't differentiate between qualified and non-qualified transactions, then it will probably be the cheapest option.

I'm not sure what your use-case is, but one possible problem of implementing this in a retail establishment is employee dishonesty--they could log in with their own credentials and route the credit card payments to their own account.
    My wife asked whether I knew of a scanner like this for her Pre2. Seems like with HP taking the business angle they'd want to make sure that they have a solution but inquiries on their own forums have gone unanswered. :/
    Yeah, it's definitely unfortunate. I wish I had the programming prowess to do it myself. I could get started, but it'd be a long shot.

I currently use Propay with the card reader, but it's so expensive that I want to switch. I signed up for a GoPayment account, but was bummed to learn they have no plans to support readers for WebOS devices.

Square has also said they have no plans to support WebOS. It's definitely annoying.

Karla

0.0005x = $12.95/mo

Is GO Payment an app on WebOS? I like that someone mentioned Intuit has a WebOS app, I just signed up for Square , figured I could use it on my phone but would love to have something to use on the TP.

Any others on the TP that work like Square and Intuit?

eta: just went to intuit site and realized that go payment is the intuit version, sorry for the confusion, is that the only one available on webos?
    Quote Originally Posted by froggys View Post
    just went to intuit site and realized that go payment is the intuit version, sorry for the confusion, is that the only one available on webos?
    Yes, I think gopayment is the only merchant card processing app, but you could use PayPal Pro's Virtual Terminal or some other web-based virtual card terminal on webOS. You can also use another online payment system such as Dwolla or Amazon Payments or plain-vanilla PayPal.
    I left square a tweet today asking about webos app, they said no plans right nw but feel free to keep an eye out for updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast