Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I used to get them more often but it seems to be rare now from what I can tell,

but I actually had a dream about them last night, kinda sad I didn't get the chance to browse the internet in my dream.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    The only Luna Restart that I get is after installing stuff with Preware. Preware seems to kill some essential running apps (like Phone) and instability follow.

Since 1.4.1, I hadn't had any luna restart not caused by Preware.

Just take a one week break from Preware and you'll see (or do a Luna Restart after any app install from preware).

I do hope that Preware will get a fix for this (I was hoping that it would have been fixed for their 1.0 release, but the issue is still there).
    I have noticed this as well...I will get these random restarts only after. using preware.....so anytime I use use preware to install or even looks for updates...I do a luna restart...

I have not had a single random restart after following this guideline.
    I always reboot after applying patches, or making any changes to homebrew stuff. We tend to do the same on our windows PCs without thinking a thing of it. I wouldn't think much of it on my phone if it didn't take 5 minutes to restart... So I try to do those things all at once to make sure I don't have to do it often.

I also found I have fewer restarts since I shut dev mode off. I had been leaving it on so I could jump in and out of QuickInstall, but with so much more in Preware I don't have to use QI as often.

Have you turned off Dev Mode? I think that really seems to help stability. There is a great patch that un-hides the icon to toggle on/off to make it more convenient, too.
    I'm at almost a day of no Luna restarts after turning off Dev Mode. Didn't know that could be such a problem. We'll see how long this lasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonny View Post
    I'm at almost a day of no Luna restarts after turning off Dev Mode. Didn't know that could be such a problem. We'll see how long this lasts.
    I'm tempted to turn dev mode back on and see if my phone goes back to rebooting but I like it without...
    Yeah, the Luna restarts are driving me CRAZY.
    The fix.

1) Do not install the "Facebook app" or "Foursquare Beta app"
    2) When installing or uninstalling anything from preware do an immediate reboot
    3) Use the stock kernel, there is something, maybe in the OS / some of these programs that cause issues. Palm admits to having memory leaks. So anything running in the background for extended periods of time can cause an issue.

Hope that helps, those were my issues.
    Yeah blame Palm because you patched your phone to the point where it's voided warranty.
    Yeah, I found it annoying, so I fixed the bugs since Palm were good enough to open source most stuff.

Mamouton did a patch with my javahy fixes too.

Cheers, Steve
    I am running preware on my pre plus and a kernel 800 MHz patch with a dowload throttle maager and I noticed my pre was running mucch smoother and downloads were incredibly better with no freezing. The download throttle manager can be found in preware under patches. Hope this helps.
    I have ~40 patches installed and running at 800MHz....no random restarts. Some occasional strange things occur, but pretty rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepore View Post
    The fix.

3) Use the stock kernel, there is something, maybe in the OS / some of these programs that cause issues. Palm admits to having memory leaks. So anything running in the background for extended periods of time can cause an issue.

2) i do, of course
    3) ...the same
    and 1)... really? Facebook app can be the problem? ***... Ok, I'll try to uninstall it and we will see, if luna restarts will remains...
    Last edited by petyy; 05/14/2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: adding forgotten quote
    The fix.

i only agree with preware but i actually do luna restarts.... everything else for me i use them and no problems whatsoever
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

The fix.

The Luna restarts most likely have nothing to do with either 1) or 2).

The restarts started for me after 1.4. I had 0 patches and the stock kernel at the time until a couple weeks ago.

I never installed/used the Facebook app (don't habe a FB account either ;-) ). Same goes for Foursquare.

There might be a correlation with Preware - not sure either way.

What's interesting is that the frequency of Luna restarts seem to have gone down for me (used to be several times per week). Not sure when I had the last one.

Things that changed meanwhile: Updated to Preware 1.0 and installed the UeberKernel + Govnah.
    Only patch I have is the temp warning patch.
    A different perspective:

Like mware, I'm running 40 patches on my phone and use Preware every day. I also have the facebook app. While I do experience Luna restarts, they happen maybe once a month or so, and weirdly enough never happened while I was still overclocking (not oc'ing anymore because of various other bugs).
    No offense, but these tips are all quite silly. (Out of curiosity, why, of all the apps out there, do you single out those two?) Point #2 is complete nonsense as well. And while I agree you may get better stability with the stock kernel, it does not follow that using the stock kernel will provide you with better stability because the OS or apps have memory leaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Yeah blame Palm because you patched your phone to the point where it's voided warranty.
    This is silly too. People get crashes and Luna restarts even on a completely stock Pre or Pixi. But as an aside, are you suggesting there is a certain point to which you can patch your phone but not yet void the warranty? Where is that line, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjo0327 View Post
    I am running preware on my pre plus and a kernel 800 MHz patch with a dowload throttle maager and I noticed my pre was running mucch smoother and downloads were incredibly better with no freezing. The download throttle manager can be found in preware under patches. Hope this helps.
    Haha, that has nothing at all to do with the topic being discussed. But thanks for your willingness to help
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    But as an aside, are you suggesting there is a certain point to which you can patch your phone but not yet void the warranty? Where is that line, exactly?
    Overclocking is the line. Palm are aware of the homebrew community and have never said a word against it, but they immediately spoke up when true overclocking came to the table, issuing a press release stating that overclocking may result in void warranty - not mentioning homebrew patches at all.

In other words, patching your Pre is perfectly fine, even if you have 100 patches on. When you start overclocking your phone, that's when you've crossed the line.
    happens every now and again, but so rarely, it doesnt bother me at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    I still believe it's not just Preware.. the point is: no app should be able to crash Luna! WebOS has to be stable enough, and besides, Preware didn't cause Luna to crash before 1.4.x
    Apps calls call into webos which call into the hardware, if they are badly written, they can do bad stuff, not release memory, cause handles to resources to be left open, cause resources to be locked for too long.

Completely self managing, self recovering software platforms are still a panacea, though its getting rarer these days than it used to be.
    Random restarts have gone away since turning off Dev Mode (I was previously running with it turned on all the time).

I also got Luna restarts often after installing things using Preware, so now I'm restarting Luna manually after installing anything on Preware.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast