1.    #1  
    Currently My phone is sitting on the desk next to me plugged into my PC with a non-palm USB cable that has worked just fine for weeks and has been losing it's charge. I have the following happening

1) 6 email addresses it checks at 5 min intervals (could but don't want to drop this to 30 mins)
    2) Facebook account
    3) Battery monitor polling every min.
    4) running uber kernal using CPU Scaler Ultimate with settings of 500 - 800

even with this I would at least expect a slight climb when screen is off. I'm not though I'm actually getting a steady and high decrease of 14.35 % per hour with only 2.98 battery life left.. the Run time of Battery monitor is at 26 mins 5 sec please help.

if this helps when in detailed battery status current mA is -180 and temp is 35
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    FWIW:

I charged my phone the other day with a universal USB cable with e-mail interval set to immediate on two accounts, Uber Kernal with Govnah @ screen state 500-800 and nothing else...battery was down to about 20%, plugged it in and went to bed, woke up and it had a full charge...
  3.    #3  
    I've pulled the battery and am rebooting. Hoping this fixes the issue. I doubt it but i will try anything right now.

a battery pull got me too 7.47 per hour with 5.35 hours left.. a marked improvement

uptime and load shows

12 min up
    1.24, .99 .89

time in state is
    800 19532
    720 12397
    600 0
    550 0
    500 45632
    250 0
    125 0

Switching to 250 - 800 I have never tried anything below 500 so I'm not sure if the chip will be ok.. here's for trying
    Last edited by Major Payne; 05/10/2010 at 12:37 PM.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    The PC isn't putting out the amperage it needs to charge the phone. Thats not unusual.
  5.    #5  
    I've use this system daily to charge so maybe something has changed.

I'm going to try a different cable when i get home and back to work
    Last edited by Major Payne; 05/10/2010 at 03:10 PM.

6.    #6  
    Tried a different cable (a real palm cable) and nothing

the phone doesn't even ask to go to USB mode or just charge anymore.

thinking a restart might help

it's actually happening on more then one pc

7.    #7  
    Sorry for the triple post but I just noticed something VERY VERY interesting. I just remembered that i turned off Dev mode the other night because i was thinking of doctoring my phone. It's been off since Sunday night.

I just turned it back on and bam it's now asking for USB/just charge mode It is also now charging.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Currently My phone is sitting on the desk next to me plugged into my PC with a non-palm USB cable that has worked just fine for weeks and has been losing it's charge. I have the following happening

1) 6 email addresses it checks at 5 min intervals (could but don't want to drop this to 30 mins)
    2) Facebook account
    3) Battery monitor polling every min.
    4) running uber kernal using CPU Scaler Ultimate with settings of 500 - 800

even with this I would at least expect a slight climb when screen is off. I'm not though I'm actually getting a steady and high decrease of 14.35 % per hour with only 2.98 battery life left.. the Run time of Battery monitor is at 26 mins 5 sec please help.

if this helps when in detailed battery status current mA is -180 and temp is 35
    If you're charging via a front port, keep in mind most cases don't provide the necessary amperage for charging mobile devices.
    However, most back ports on cases do. Have you tried any ports in the back?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    The PC isn't putting out the amperage it needs to charge the phone. Thats not unusual.
    This is my guess.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I notice this issue when I do wifi tethering with the pre on my netbook and have it plugged into usb port. I will still steadily lose power. Some usb ports seem to do little to nothing. As mentioned I guess they are not putting out enoug juice. That seems like bs though as I didn't have this issue with my winmo phone doing the exact same thing.it seems if it is not exactly what the pre is loking for signal wise it doesn't charge.
    By spec a USB device is only allowed to draw 100mA current when first plugged in. During the negotiation with the host it can ask for 500mA and the host will either allow or deny it based on the known capabilities of the port and the power state of the host system (state of charge, plugged into AC or not, etc.) There's a special USB charging spec that allows 1000mA, but that's just for chargers which indicate this to the device by shorting the USB data lines together (i.e. you can't get 1000mA off an intelligent host).

The Pre supports all three scenarios and my guess is that your system is saying no to the Pre's request for 500mA, but that 100mA just isn't enough for whatever your Pre is all doing at the time...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer