1.    #1  
    It's been a bit over a month since I installed freetether and the wireless hotspot on my Sprint Palm Pre. While I'd really like to have Bluetooth tethering as well, the free wireless hotspot tethering has been very helpful.

I don't tether all the time, but when I need it, it's nice to have.

Thanks to all the folks on here who have clearly provided information about how to do this safely and at no cost.
    tethering is great
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    i thought mytether was the only way to get wifi to work. How do you install this? i'd love to have wifi tethering for work purposes
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I thought you could do bluetooth tethering with Freetether? I may be wrong, as I haven't tried it since we got the Mobile HotSpot app, because wifi uses less power, but that's the impression I was under. You can enable bluetooth tethering by simply adding an IP forwarding rule to the firewall, which I think Freetether does. Try it!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by acme64 View Post
    i thought mytether was the only way to get wifi to work. How do you install this? i'd love to have wifi tethering for work purposes
    First you need to root your Pre. To do this, enter the following string in your Pre keyboard with no application attached - "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" (don't use the quotes). An icon will appear, turn ON developer mode. Congradulations, you now have a rooted pre in developer mode.

Next, you'll need to install the webOS Quickinstall (if you don't have it). It is a Java app so it works the same on Mac/PC - Just need Java and google can help you get Java if you don't have it, or just visit Oracle and Sun and follow the Java link.

Download WOSQI (webOS Quickinstall) here.. http://images.precentral.net/sites/p...ickInstall.jar after downloading, IF you have installed Java, let it run. It will install your Pre developer environment on your PC or Mac.

Download free thether in a folder you can easily find from here - http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....0.3_armv7.ipk

Download the Palm mobile hotspot here - MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Once you get that downloaded, plug your Pre into your computer, and select 'Just Charge'.

Run WOSQI and let it download the latest webOS Doctor just select "Pre" and "Sprint" since it is safe to say this is what you have

Once the above is downloaded and ready, it will ask you to restart WOSQI so just close it, give it a few seconds, then restart it.

Once the window opens up you'll want to install the packages in this order (this is how I've done it and have had zero issues)

install the freetether ipk, the mobile hotspot ipk.

To do that in WOSQI click the green 'plus +' icon. Then goto where you saved the first file (freethther ipk) and click ok. It will then show up in the white box/list area. Once it is there, click 'install'. It may ask you to run services or allow the script to be ran, tell it "yes".

Once it is done the item will disappear from the list. Then do the same for the next file... click the green + icon, select the next file which is Mobile Hot Spot and click install.

If you need to update the Palm hotspot, I believe it is possible to do on the Pre via the application store (open the store and in the lower right will be an application update list that should work with the Palm hotspot on Sprint).

When you've done the above, congrats, you should be the proud owner of a Sprint phone with wireless Wi-Fi hotspot capability. Simply click the new Palm hotspot icon and select your hotspot name, decide if you want wpa or wpa2 security and what password it should use. Then surf away.

Cost to you $0.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    MyTether and Hotspot does not work well with my iPod Touch.

MyTether never gets a connection while Hotspot is very slow and eventually disconnects the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkacatin View Post
    MyTether and Hotspot does not work well with my iPod Touch.

MyTether never gets a connection while Hotspot is very slow and eventually disconnects the device.
    I disagree, I have no issues using the hotspot with my iPod touch.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    i get the connection, but how you guys get the IP to get the internet?
    am I missing something because I have the hotspot, my laptop connects but I cant browse because of no IP.

Help me on this and please dont try to get all geek on me lol
    Did you get Jasons patched version of the Mobile Hotspot ipk? Thats the one that has the built in IP Fowarding, that you need to get internet with the MHS
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    perfect walkthrough! works perfect. It won't win any speed awards but its great for my uses.

One question though, is there a way to change the IP's it hands out from the 10.x.x.x to the 192.x.x.x? We use 10's at work and it conflicts with some of our tunneling software
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    i left att b/c of the free tethering offer at vz but as it turns out i don't really use it that much. only time i do is when my home wifi is on the fritz. it's nice to be able to switch over when i need to. still, i'd trade tethering for a functional GPS in a second.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    i just noticed myhotspot doesn't seem to work in linux, my laptop tries to connect and it even shows up on the pre that i have, but a few seconds later the connection is dropped again. I wonder why its doing that?
    I followed the above instructions and with bluetooth off, my PS3 connects just fine. However when I test connection, it fails to obtain an IP address. Can someone help me please
    tried it, and it works, but is VERY slow. I had 4 bars of signal with EVDO and only got 17kbs download speed. any ideas?